• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
The industry needs more competition? It already has enough competition, it just needs more supply to satisfy demand. Intel are potentially a source of some relief with their new GPU, but it is likely not going to be a high-end solution that competes with the best Nvidia and AMD have to offer.

As for people switching to console... people say that with every generation, but a) consoles are also in very short supply and b) PC sales are not slowing down... so I don't think that is accurate.

I don't think there is enough competition.

There are only two competative GPU chip suppliers, Nvidia and AMD. That's not healthy competition.

There are only a couple of Foundry companies capable of making the latest chips. Samsung and TSMC. That's also not enough for a healthy competative market.

Chip design firms like ARM, Broadcom, Intel, Qualcomm etc. could compete, and hopefully Intel (also a Fabs firm) will be soon, as they are trying.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I don't think there is enough competition.

There are only two competative GPU chip suppliers, Nvidia and AMD. That's not healthy competition.

There are only a couple of Foundry companies capable of making the latest chips. Samsung and TSMC. That's also not enough for a healthy competative market.

Chip design firms like ARM, Broadcom, Intel, Qualcomm etc. could compete, and hopefully Intel (also a Fabs firm) will be soon, as they are trying.
There's a whole level of complexity which many people overlook though.
It's becoming apparent to me that the constant pursuit of more & more raw 'horsepower' isn't the future of PC gaming. We've been butting up against power/temperature limits for quite a while and there's only limited success to be had chasing smaller and smaller manufacturing processes. The biggest gains could come in the form of architecture driven improvements, RT and DLSS style. Intel are putting a lot of effort into AI cores, as are Nvidia, and these cores could be used to massively boost gaming performance if only the game developers made use of them. The problem with this approach is the more competitive technologies there are, the more difficult it is for the devs to make use of them.

Associate
There's a whole level of complexity which many people overlook though.
It's becoming apparent to me that the constant pursuit of more & more raw 'horsepower' isn't the future of PC gaming. We've been butting up against power/temperature limits for quite a while and there's only limited success to be had chasing smaller and smaller manufacturing processes. The biggest gains could come in the form of architecture driven improvements, RT and DLSS style. Intel are putting a lot of effort into AI cores, as are Nvidia, and these cores could be used to massively boost gaming performance if only the game developers made use of them. The problem with this approach is the more competitive technologies there are, the more difficult it is for the devs to make use of them.

Very true, and the ideal is a bit of a chicken and egg; develop an open standard the Devs can use first, then your own HW or invent the technology, then write a standard they can program for? :confused:

There is first mover advantage for whoever does that (e.g. DLSS) but widespread adoption means releasing the IP so others can expand the HW base supporting it, potentially losing £$£$£ revenuethe selfish entrepreneurial could keep for themselves.. :p

Associate
My guess is it's dried up as production switches to the Ti and LHR versions next month, so all the current stock has vanished as they can't release the new ones yet (unless you live in UAE)...

I don't think Nvidia have announced 3090 TI or LHR version yet. May be Nvidia want to sell 3090's to miners so Nvidia can make more profit and their investors will be laughing

Associate
Crypto is dipping hard - hopefully translate to improved availability in short term.

Funny how Nvidia is now just about to release their Mining Limited GPU's. They know so many used GPU Miners no-longer want will available at an realistic price on eBay within the next few months.

Nvidia makes 0% from resell so they don't want anybody buying used cards from eBay.

So why not release a Mining limited GPU that normal gamers/content creators have a slightly better chance of purchasing to squeeze the last bit of extra profit from us.

Nvidia dose not give a flying F about us.

Associate
I don't think Nvidia have announced 3090 TI or LHR version yet. May be Nvidia want to sell 3090's to miners so Nvidia can make more profit and their investors will be laughing

Well, seems like the 3090 escapes the LHR nerf, so presumably the miners will switch focus to them now :rolleyes::(

Associate
So the 3090's that went up today at £2900... what the hell is that price about? I get that scalpers are asking silly money for them but to ask that amount at retail? Surely that's just fanning the flames? I get that costs have increased but is it really that bad?

Caporegime
So the 3090's that went up today at £2900... what the hell is that price about? I get that scalpers are asking silly money for them but to ask that amount at retail? Surely that's just fanning the flames? I get that costs have increased but is it really that bad?
Its shameless and scandalous profiteering from stores with no ethics.

Associate
Ladies, Gents, Superheroes and Supervillains,

My RTX TUF 3090 has been upgraded to the OC version FOC! It's finally being shipped! (Was 6th, they brought in 7, pre-ordered since November).

Thank you Gibbo, ScottiB and everyone from OCUK for doing your best in these unprecedent times, you have allowed a FilmMaker/Game Dev (CGi/3D artist) to be born, good bye 750 Ti!
Hello creative world!

Stay strong everyone, may all your items be shipped soon.

And now, I shall camp outside my house.

Associate
And now, I shall camp outside my house.

OK, but wouldn't you be more comfortable on a chair just inside the front door? If you wedge your letterbox open you can keep an eye out for deliveries that way.
Don't forget to rig a tripwire tied to your leg in case you fall asleep and a shitbucket will mean you don't need to move from the spot. Pizza can be delivered via the letterbox too! :cry:

Finally, enjoy the Powaaaaaaa! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom