The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Arrived, setup, made dough this morning, first attempts. :D

Son made chicken, mozzarella, pepperoni.
NNaVp9Z.jpg

Pepperoni with chilli for me.

dU6SrFT.jpg

Happy with those for a first attempt but need a different dough recipe, it was not quite right. The crust was stodgy and seemed like it needed longer but would have ended up well burnt. Need more practice to get the edges a little thinner I think.
Dough was just 00 pizza flour, semolina flour has not arrived yet. Will be trying the dough recipe/method from the first page next time.

I definitely found me leaving the pizza almost out of the oven yielded the best results, will need to try the "secret low" mode next time to see if that helps

Soldato
Only 60s pizzas if you like traditional pizza, ie very little toppings very thin crust.
Anything normal requires a slower cook. I've found the stone at 400c and then gas on low works best.

Soldato
Yeah I had it on max, pizzas kind of middle of oven. Almost feels like a gimmick "omg 60 second pizzas" but feels too quick. Gonna try lower and diff dough.

Definitely don't have the flames on max whilst the pizza is in! I think even the manual in the box says max is to get the stone hot and then down to low for cooking.

Soldato
Only 60s pizzas if you like traditional pizza, ie very little toppings very thin crust.
Anything normal requires a slower cook. I've found the stone at 400c and then gas on low works best.

Totally agree there. Ours is the Karu and I generally keep it topped up with pellets and hardwood briquettes - makes it burn really hot, making pizzas with burnt crusts and stodgy middles (lots of toppings...).
Trying to balance the temperature a bit so our pizzas are better.

Permabanned
Ah , Pro tip, use a very big container for proving dough, thought mine was big enough but after an hour it was overflowing, more than doubled in size. :cry: had to move to a container twice the size.

Though I have made probably too much dough.

Permabanned
Well the recipe turned out great, best yet, amazing how much they rise when cooking even when you think you are making a super thin base. Got the oven up to temp, turned down to low and lobbed a pizza in, took several minutes instead of 1 with a few turns but very little burnage. :D

Downside, got a fair bit of crud on the pizza stone after people didnt follow my instructions and made shonky pizzas :mad: Best cleaning tips? (read baking soda and water)

Soldato
I'd never use a wire brush, especially steel, it will marr the surface, irreversibly , I normally use a razor blade, or craft blade held flat, so I don't dig the surface;
also I wouldn't use water - the stones are porous, and unless you make sure it is dried throughly might crack next time.

Associate
Other side has a fat ooni logo on it though, not flat.

Still cooks OK though! Interesting point about the wire brushes. Do ooni not sell one exactly for this purpose? Or are the bristles not quite as harsh? I just use the bbq one as I already had it lying around and didn't want to fork out for another brush.

Back
Top Bottom