*** Eurovision 2021 ***

Soldato
This, when we received precisely 0 points from the public vote, blaming bloc voting looks a bit like burying ones head in the sand.

I'll be quite interested to see if there are a few more rock bands playing next year given how Finland and Italy cleaned up with the Eurovisiom public. Overall I thought the quality was extremely high this year and it was a fun night.

I kind of agree with one of the earlier posters, let's stop treating the competition like it's the x factor and actually embrace the more mental side of the culture, camp it up and throw a song and performer with some zany charisma at it for a change. I don't doubt our guy is a talented songwriter, but even i wouldn't have voted for us.
We got 0 points because the public didn’t give us enough votes as did a load of other countries, our song was incredibly weak backed up by a poor performance it really wasn’t memorable. Be honest if you could have voted for it would you have picked it out as the best song and performance on the night? If we enter the right song we will go in a significant chunk of the public vote and a mid table score from the jury’s we don’t very often finish bottom.

Soldato
We got 0 points because the public didn’t give us enough votes as did a load of other countries, our song was incredibly weak backed up by a poor performance it really wasn’t memorable. Be honest if you could have voted for it would you have picked it out as the best song and performance on the night? If we enter the right song we will go in a significant chunk of the public vote and a mid table score from the jury’s we don’t very often finish bottom.

Did you reply to the wrong person? You've literally agreed with everything I said.

Soldato
Not sure what’s funnier, the U.K. getting 0 or the reaction from the usual suspects that we should throw our toys out of the pram and leave. Is that your solution to everything?

I imagine a million quid or so for 4 hours of live Saturday night entertainment and all the associated press represents pretty good value to the BBC.

No point doing it when it's all political based. If the UK pull out it would take a lot of the funding with it, which might shake things up.

Soldato
Tbf we could send the Beatles in with a fully resurrected Lennon and Harrison and we still wouldn't have a chance.

What i thought was funny when Amanda Holden was announced for the UK votes everyone is laughing and joking and then... total silence. Like when the unwanted guest shows up at the party and everyone stonewalls them. You're not welcome at this particular party.

Soldato
No point doing it when it's all political based. If the UK pull out it would take a lot of the funding with it, which might shake things up.

If the jury votes had been completely removed from the process, and the award was based only on the public tele-vote then Italy still would have won and the UK would still have scored 0. Doesn't seem like politics altered the event that much to me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How will Italy pay for that next year?

RAI (the Italian host broadcaster) has an annual budget of over €2bn, I think they can cope.

It's a bit of a myth that funding Eurovision is a problem. It brings in huge amounts of tourist cash (estimated at €27.5m when Stockholm hosted for example) and the cost of the show isn't awful compared to the viewership it gets or the amount of publicity it generates.

Man of Honour
Musically and otherwise, probably the ‘best’ Eurovision ever. Some good entries and a lot of fun.

I just can’t stand how long the results take, it really is so tedious!

Soldato
Iceland was robbed I tell you! Quirky, funny, had bass and a great melody. So good its already been remixed by Chromeo

But I was also feverishly glad the irritating french lady and the Tony Hadley tribute act didn't win.

Soldato
Iceland was robbed I tell you!
Not a patch on the one they couldn't re-enter from last year. That was such a great pop song and it's a huge shame they missed their chance.

I only watched the last 20 minutes or so and the stretching-the-results-out-as-long-as-possible-ness got on my mammaries even in that period. And although I hate the winning "song", you have to salute a process which can have a live coke-snorting winner. Felt like we were watching a trailer for the next series of Gomorrah.

Man of Honour
Apart from dragging out the last handful of results, the whole process was incredibly quick this year.
Comparatively quick :p

I can only assume that they pad out the judges vote section to allow time to compile and verify the national public votes. Which I guess makes sense.

I just wish they said: here’s the outcome of the judges votes *show screen* and now the public votes!

Soldato
If the jury votes had been completely removed from the process, and the award was based only on the public tele-vote then Italy still would have won and the UK would still have scored 0. Doesn't seem like politics altered the event that much to me.

UK haven't moved from the right side of the score board, nor much higher than the bottom of it for many years, so low scoring for us was even before Brexit was a thing.

The song and performer this year was rubbish, but I do still think there's something political or otherwise that Europe dislikes about the UK. But as suggested in the thread, if we could get an outrageous, quirky or eccentric performer in the classic style of Eurovision, something that really grabs the viewers attention, we might actually score some points.

On the other hand, UK has always been and still is the pioneer of 'proper' pop music. Outside of Eurovision, all these countries buy records from UK and US artists. Who knows of many pop stars outside UK and US apart from Abba? In other words, we're better than Eurovision, and Eurovision is all these other countries have to show off their talent which is usually forgotten about not long after, much like x factor winners that no-one can remember either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Musically and otherwise, probably the ‘best’ Eurovision ever. Some good entries and a lot of fun.

I just can’t stand how long the results take, it really is so tedious!
They are slowly speeding it up with the silly going round the countries but only announcing the top scores. If they ditched the jury vote they could have a result a few minutes after the mines closed which would be a massive improvement for me!

Back
Top Bottom