Advice please on new build

Associate
Hi,

My current computer is playing up with a terminal MOBO issue, so I’m looking to replace it. I’ve got a budget of up to £1,500, but not sure if I need to spend that much as I will mainly use it for Photoshop, Illustrator, occasional Video editing and some gaming. I would like to eventually upgrade my 1440p LG 27GL850 monitor to 4K though when the technology becomes more affordable.

I recently bought some components for my old PC and wondered if they could be used in the new build?

GPU Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro + 8GB GDDR5
PSU Seasonic Focus GX 650W Modular 80+

I thought that investing in a Ryzen CPU might be the favourable option, but then found out that the Intel's are cheaper and comparable in performance. So, I’m not really sure now what direction to go in.

Below are the parts that I’m contemplating and would appreciate any feedback and advice before purchasing.

Case Fan 3 X ARCTIC P12
Case Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh or Phanteks Eclipse P500
CPU Cooler Dark Rock Slim or MSI Core Frozr L
Internal HD - Seagate BarraCuda 2TB
SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB

AMD
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 C16 3600mhz
MOBO ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)

Intel
CPU i5-11400F 2.60GHz (Would the lower clock speed be an issue?)
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 C16 3200mhz
MOBO MSI MAG B560 TOMAHAWK WIFI

Thanks

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £992.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Keep the power supply, its a good one.
Retain the 580 graphics card prices are nuts.

11600K is a good CPU and matches the 5600X and is a lot cheaper.

My parts are suggestions, because I think you see the Intel build as the more budget option. However Rocket Lake is not that bad and the 11600k CPU is recommended by many reviewers.
Oh and be wary of B560 motherboards, heard they have performance issues, dependent on the maker.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Yes, I heard that some B560 boards are problematic, but think the MSI Tomahawk is is one of the better budget options.

So, just to clarify based on my requirements, it sounds like the 5600x will have the better performance for my requirements, but the 11600k is better value for money at the moment?

Soldato
So, just to clarify based on my requirements, it sounds like the 5600x will have the better performance for my requirements, but the 11600k is better value for money at the moment?

Yers, the Ryzen will do better in multithreaded business tasks, and it's the 11400F, not the 11600, that's the value for money choice for gaming. And the 11400 chips work just fine with DDR4-3600.

Soldato
If you were willing to lose AIO and use a quality air cooler the 5800X comes into your budget and coupled with the bequiet case which has no glass panel you don't have to worry about if the internals match - and it's a quality silent case. More hardware for your buck:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £845.12 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Associate
OP
Thanks for that.

Think the second option might be better for my requirements as I'm not really looking to overclock using AIO, and illuminated RGB RAM is not a high priority or matching components. Would that option be the best one for futureproofing as I would like to eventually buy a GPU for 4K when the prices come down?

Last edited:
Soldato
If i was dropping £1400 on a new build the 5800X would certainly be on on my buy list; especially if productivity and not gaming was my main priority - given your initial brief.

There is no need to to overclock Ryzen - once the setup is setup it will boost the CPU within tolerance and the 140mm air cooler will keep things cool and quiet - especially coupled with the bequiet case (i own 2 - very simple design and unobtrusive. More fans can be added if desired - but i, personally, keep the top panel on.)

*Also, the 8 cores are on parity with the latest consoles which latest games are now being built around - not essential for your needs but you mentioned future proofing...

Associate
OP
Great, thanks. I would rather go down the more minimalistic approach without the need for tweaking if possible. Is two fans at the front of the case and one exhaust adequate with the above recommendation?

Soldato
Great, thanks. I would rather go down the more minimalistic approach without the need for tweaking if possible. Is two fans at the front of the case and one exhaust adequate with the above recommendation?
That's my setup - but like you, I use it mainly for work and i have 3700X installed with similar performance coolers. But, with a decent semi-passive PSU and GPU the systems are silent - and when gaming the GPU is the main source of noise.

Review for you:

Soldato
If case is well designed and doesn't restrict fans that would be good for PC with RX580 level graphics card.
Because it's GPU which has the way biggest heat output potential.

Though Intel's marketing BS TDP processors can compete quite well when put under full all core load...
For measure AMD's 16 core Ryzen draws half the power of Intel's latest 8 core landfill fire.
(AMD has vastly superior platform longevity if you start doing heavily multihreaded workloads/multitasking)

Associate
OP
Looks like the case would be ideal. Think I will go for the pricier Ryzen option as it sounds like you pay for what you get and drawing less energy than the Intel chip is another incentive. Thanks for all the advice.

Associate
OP
I just realised that the case comes with 2 fans (pure wings 2), should I just use those or buy something else? Would PWM fans (such as the Arctic P12 PWM) be a benefit over the DC?

Soldato
I just realised that the case comes with 2 fans (pure wings 2), should I just use those or buy something else? Would PWM fans (such as the Arctic P12 PWM) be a benefit over the DC?
I use the included Pure Wings 2 PWM fans with an additional 140mm at the front. Pretty sure i did this for both cases but either way they're both cool and quiet setups.

Back
Top Bottom