Taking pictures of finished bathrooms - phone or camera

Soldato
Its a question that's been asked plenty of times but I design and install fitted bathrooms and like to take pictures of the finished article for publication on Facebook and websites etc - this, in turn, drums up more business for me.

However, my Xaiomi Mi10 and Mi9 phones don't take good images - they are washed out and not colourful (usually LED spotlights or daylight are the light sources.

A was thinking of buying the Samsung S21 Ultra as the images I have seen taken with this phone are way more vibrant and colourful however a friend suggested a standalone camera would be better than a phone any day.

Is that correct - for someone who just wants to point and click in a small area and take instant photos that are one or two stages away from uploading to social media ?

I don't want to play with shutter speeds or exposure etc - just want something with a good autofocus and great results in the simplest way possible. Is there a camera that could do that for me, better than the Galaxy, folks?

Soldato
If you have been using a phone and you have had success in terms of your images being about to demonstrate your work, I'd recommend borrowing a better smartphone from a friend or relative and checking what improvements it can bring to you. You may be able to rent one.

A standalone camera could bring you better results but it may involve more work, IE post processing images to get the best out from them and don't forget if you take wide angled images you'll need a camera and lens combination to allow you to do this.

Is your friend who suggested this a photographer or videographer?

What is your budget? Are you looking to invest time in post processing? (don't forget the learning curve).

There are many cameras that could potentially offer you with far greater quality of images and colours better suited to what you want to portray but things such as composition will still be down to the shooter.

Soldato
I'd suggest using what your friend has to see what kind of benefits you'd get before investing. Since you are posting the images online on social media and websites, the gains you get may not be entirely visible when viewing off Facebook, websites, Instagram etc...

What smart phone does your friend have, it may be worth comparing the results once posted online.

With a budget of £500, I'd be looking at the used market for a good fixed lens camera such as a Sony RX100 series or a entry to mid-range line camera such as the Fujifilm X-T200, the Panasonic Lumix GX9, Canon EOS M50, these are all slightly above £500 but can be had for less used or when there is a deal on.

Back
Top Bottom