what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Honestly, the weight is so well distributed they pretty much disappear when on your head. The good thing with Beyers being mostly metal is if the clamp is too tight you can just pull the two sides apart and lessen the pressure.
They should take EQ well too, I'm currently listening to Tool through my DT1990's with 3x 2db bass shelves at 150Hz, 100Hz and 50Hz so they stack as the frequency drops - it's like having a sub-woofer tied to my head and still no distortion. :cool:
When not being silly they are detail monsters - the DT1770 and DT1990 share the same drivers, it's just that the DT1770 is closed and the DT1990 is semi-open. I'm currently considering getting a pair of DT1770's myself to add to my Denon AH-D7200's and Sony MDR-1A's on the closed back side of the stable :D

Soldato
Honestly, the weight is so well distributed they pretty much disappear when on your head. The good thing with Beyers being mostly metal is if the clamp is too tight you can just pull the two sides apart and lessen the pressure.
They should take EQ well too, I'm currently listening to Tool through my DT1990's with 3x 2db bass shelves at 150Hz, 100Hz and 50Hz so they stack as the frequency drops - it's like having a sub-woofer tied to my head and still no distortion. :cool:
When not being silly they are detail monsters - the DT1770 and DT1990 share the same drivers, it's just that the DT1770 is closed and the DT1990 is semi-open. I'm currently considering getting a pair of DT1770's myself to add to my Denon AH-D7200's and Sony MDR-1A's on the closed back side of the stable :D
Thanks, great to know that any clamp force can be reduced
What EQ software do you use? I have an external Soundblaster G6 and the EQ in the software is quite rubbish. I cannot even appear to be able to add additinal points to raise / lower dB on the eq line

NW7qZcy.png

Associate
Thanks, great to know that any clamp force can be reduced
What EQ software do you use? I have an external Soundblaster G6 and the EQ in the software is quite rubbish. I cannot even appear to be able to add additinal points to raise / lower dB on the eq line

NW7qZcy.png

You should be able to, I've got that software and you click on the frequency line you want to change and it creates a new point.

Associate
Here you go, just hover your mouse over the line at the frequency and it should change to allow movement:

SB-Equalizer.jpg

Soldato
DT1770s arrived today.

Short review

Very well made
Comfort - Very comfy, even with the weight. Just about the right amount of clamping pressure without it hurting my ears / head which I was afraid of
Drive - Rated impedance 250Ω but way easier to drive than my AKG 702 which are 62Ω. In contrast I would say it makes the 702s feel like 400Ω I left them on the same volume thinking more would be required and had to quickly turn them down when driven with a Soundblaster G6 on high gain.
Sound quality - Sound is so much more powerful and in your face than the 702s. The bass is fantastic and the Dolby Atmos 'Amaze' trailer sounds like you are sat in a Dolby cinema. Sounds stage is quite wide, but obviously not like the 702s which are open. So far i've only tried the velour ear pads so yet to try the pleather ones.

Soldato
DT1770s arrived today.

Short review

Very well made
Comfort - Very comfy, even with the weight. Just about the right amount of clamping pressure without it hurting my ears / head which I was afraid of
Drive - Rated impedance 250Ω but way easier to drive than my AKG 702 which are 62Ω. In contrast I would say it makes the 702s feel like 400Ω I left them on the same volume thinking more would be required and had to quickly turn them down when driven with a Soundblaster G6 on high gain.
Sound quality - Sound is so much more powerful and in your face than the 702s. The bass is fantastic and the Dolby Atmos 'Amaze' trailer sounds like you are sat in a Dolby cinema. Sounds stage is quite wide, but obviously not like the 702s which are open. So far i've only tried the velour ear pads so yet to try the pleather ones.

Let us know how you find them after a few weeks, I really need some new closed backs for late night listening as cleared out all my headphone collection last year as had too many. Only got my HD660s left (I love these).

Soldato
ATH-M50X here, had them since 2016 bought second hand at the time for £65, been fantastic the whole time, had to replace the ear cusions once due to wear and tear and the headband leather has completely worn off, but still sound fantastic. Unfortunately they decided their time was up last night when the plastic clips that prevent the cups from pointing outwards away from the head have broken, meaning when you put the headphones on the cups sit away from the head and no longer stay flush.

Tried to glue them in place but there's just too much force on them for it to hold. As I liked them so much I decided to treat myself to a brand new pair so ordered the white ath-m50x this morning :)

Caporegime
Just gone from B&W P9 Signatures to these after reading rave after rave reviews. Will see if they are the defacto best closed back headphones for under a grand.

Can anybody recommend a good replacement lead to buy please as the supplied one is stupidly short.

Associate
I own the Song WHX-1000MK4's and their the best headphones I've ever had for the music that I listen to Punk, which is produced terribly but these headphones clarify a lot of the muddy sounds that I've always had with my music, decent for gaming too.

Soldato
Just gone from B&W P9 Signatures to these after reading rave after rave reviews. Will see if they are the defacto best closed back headphones for under a grand.

Can anybody recommend a good replacement lead to buy please as the supplied one is stupidly short.
Phenomenally beautiful. How are they?

Do they not come with two cables? One longer XLR and one shorter 3.5mm? Or is that just higher models.

Try head fi classifieds for cable. Focal use 3.5mm terminations into headphone ports so you should be able to find a good one at a good price.

Caporegime
Phenomenally beautiful. How are they?

Do they not come with two cables? One longer XLR and one shorter 3.5mm? Or is that just higher models.

Try head fi classifieds for cable. Focal use 3.5mm terminations into headphone ports so you should be able to find a good one at a good price.

They sound fantastic. The bass is nothing like as strogn as my P9s were but they were always rated as been bass heavy.

No they cheap out on these and just give you 1 1.2m 3.5mm cable. 1.2m is just a bit too short tbh.

Back
Top Bottom