Have your stopped talking to people due to political opinions?

Soldato
When I was at and finished uni, all my 'friends' convinced me to make a facebook profile so I did.

Shortly thereafter most of them unfriended me for all my political and religious opinions. And after that I found out my opinions could get me arrested so I deleted all such social media profiles.
Unless you're dressing up as a Nazi and goose-stepping I don't think that's going to happen, as much as the wet lettuce types would like it to.

Associate
As soon as I start hearing about the "risks" of 5G I lose respect for a person immediately.
I'm also no fan of anti-vaxers, but at least there is a thread of truth buried in the stupid there.
(this is all assuming the above are considered political opinions)

I am happy to engage with anyone on the political spectrum though, or those who claim not to be on it.
As long as you have at least a modestly reasonable explanation for your beliefs, then I can deal with you.

Last edited:
Soldato
As soon as I start hearing about the "risks" of 5G I lose respect for aperson immediately.
I'm also no fan of anti-vaxers, but at least there is a thread of truth buried in the stupid there.
(this is all assuming the above are considered political opinions)

I am happy to engage with anyone on the political spectrum though, or those who claim not to be on it. As long as you have at least a modestly reasonable explanation for you beliefs then I can deal with you.
Welcome to my life - I have crawled out of a gene puddle where people think Bill Gates wants to control their minds over 5G through nanobots implanted via a COVID vaccine.

I am losing the will to live.

Associate
Welcome to my life - I have crawled out of a gene puddle where people think Bill Gates wants to control their minds over 5G through nanobots implanted via a COVID vaccine.

I am losing the will to live.

The worst thing about such is you find these people in all corners of the political spectrum, and all wealth brackets. I won't go into detail, but it's definitely a struggle staying positive and respectful in the face of certain individuals.

Last edited:
Soldato
The worst thing about such is you find these people in all corners of the political spectrum, and in wealth brackets. I won't go into detail, but it's definitely a struggle staying positive and respectful in the face of certain individuals.
Oh yes... just have to smile, nod and let them get on with it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no consequences to the mainstream media/news what they do and hide behind "freedom of the press" for their actions. Considering all the fines they've had over decades for it.
Did you even read what you have written? besides the fact you are talking about freedom of expression not free speech you even point out the consequences (fines) in the same paragraph that you say there are none.

Soldato
When I was at and finished uni, all my 'friends' convinced me to make a facebook profile so I did.

Shortly thereafter most of them unfriended me for all my political and religious opinions. And after that I found out my opinions could get me arrested so I deleted all such social media profiles.
Assuming this post is real what on Earth were you posting on facebook that you genuinely thought could get you arrested?

Soldato
I don't have time to get involved in politics and tbh these days it seems politicians are out for themselves and things they say pre-election never seem to happen or for the good of the voters.

Therefore when people start on about their views and sometimes get very heated, i just switch off, nod, make appropriate noises and avoid them in future.

My brother on the other hand, we don't see each other often, but when we do it isn't long before the conspiracy theories come up - moon landings faked, 9/11, COVID etc etc. A few times we've been enjoying family time together when he's whisked me away to look at 'concrete proof' videos on Youtube.

Soldato
Not anyone in actually close with, but I have removed several idiots that I went to school with from social media as they were constantly posting absolute rubbish

V F

V F

Soldato
Did you even read what you have written? besides the fact you are talking about freedom of expression not free speech you even point out the consequences (fines) in the same paragraph that you say there are none.

Well explain why they keep getting fined for repeating the same stuff? The fines don't cut it. Obviously you never picked up on that.

Associate
I like to express opinions on politics and discuss them, my stand evolves as I get a broader spectrum about a certain topic.
But getting cancelled immediately makes me sad and I just quit talking to the person. What's the point of a conversation if you cannot get one.

The whole dilemma is that when someone reads a bit somewhere they will adhere to it and take it as an absolute truth. Absolute truth as if they found it themselves.
Then you come with another opinion and it somehow hurts their own beliefs.

You end up in a sort of stubborn ego conflict.

Getting cancelled immediately = lack of respect to the person. They will just not listen to your explanation at all or the reason why you said such stuff.

A great example is Trump.

Shut down border with China = Homophobic Nazi (It was not homophobic it was preventive measure)
China Virus = Homophobic Nazi (he made a point)
Transgender Troops opinion = Homophobic Nazi (He was referring to mental stability)
UV Led in the Body = Dumb / Fact-checked (He was referring to a new product released by tge AYTU company)
Acid washing emails = Dumb / Fact-checked (He was referring to bleachbit, do you think he knows the details exactly ? No, he is 70 years old but he expected you to get the point.)

They are so full of themselves that they pick up word for word what someone said and cancel the man.
Get safe and stay away from such people.

Soldato
I like to express opinions on politics and discuss them, my stand evolves as I get a broader spectrum about a certain topic.
But getting cancelled immediately makes me sad and I just quit talking to the person. What's the point of a conversation if you cannot get one.

The whole dilemma is that when someone reads a bit somewhere they will adhere to it and take it as an absolute truth. Absolute truth as if they found it themselves.

Getting cancelled immediately = lack of respect to the person. They will just not listen to your explanation at all or the reason why you said such stuff.

Shut down border with China = Homophobic Nazi (It was not homophobic it was preventive measure)
Transgender Troops opinion = Homophobic Nazi (He was referring to mental stability)
UV Led in the Body = Dumb / Fact-checked (He was referring to a new product released by tge AYTU company)
Acid washing emails = Dumb / Fact-checked (He was referring to bleachbit, do you think he knows the details exactly ? No, he is 70 years old but he expected you to get the point.)

They are so full of themselves that they pick up word for word what someone said and cancel the man.
Now do the one where he said grab her by the ******? (self starred :rolleyes:)

Soldato

Trump was sarcastic quite a bit and made a joke of things. But it was hard to tell when he was being serious or not sometimes :p

Soldato
Now do the one where he said grab her by the ******? (self starred :rolleyes:)

Transcript of that

Trump: "Yeah that's her with the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful... I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

Bush: "Whatever you want."

Trump: "Grab them by the *****. You can do anything."

I'm not going to say it's a pleasant way to talk about a woman but its not particularly egregious for locker room talk between men.

He was boasting that as an influential man that women would let him touch them sexually on a casual basis.

Personally I am more concerned about the actions of the man who succeeded him...A man who has, on multiple occasions, been filmed and photographed in public inappropriately touching females, including children, in such a fashion that they were visibly uncomfortable. I suggest this should be more concerning than a man boasting about adult women consenting to being touched sexually as he is media personality.

Soldato
Well explain why they keep getting fined for repeating the same stuff? The fines don't cut it. Obviously you never picked up on that.
I did pick up on that, the issue being debated was that freedom of speech is freedom from any consequences. You bought freedom of expression into it and are now dashing that the consequences of newspapers abusing the right to freedom of expression isn’t serious enough to stop them abusing it BUT there is still a consequence. If you want to debate how to enforce rules on the press fair enough but you didn’t give an example of freedom of expression being free of consequences.

Associate
I wouldn't stop speaking to someone if we disagreed on a topic. For instance, I'm an atheist. If someone I know is very religious I would just avoid the topic. In instances where the conversation has turned to religion I just agree and try to steer the topic onto something else.

However, I do find talking about politics with my father onerous. As he ages he has become much more dogmatic, inflexible with his opinions and more like a Tory voting stereotype.

Back
Top Bottom