Passport Renewal - Should I Let it Expire?

Caporegime
Some places ask for two forms of photo ID for verification. The passport is an easy one.

Had to collect an parcel yesterday and they would only accept my passport. My driving license wasn't accepted by them :confused:
where did you collect from?
Royal mail even accept a debit card as ID no??
aye just checked
What ID do I need to collect my item?

To keep your mail as secure as possible, we'll need to see proof of ID before handing any item over.
Please make sure you bring:
  • The Something for you card, (or SMS/email notification). Without this you can’t collect your item.
You’ll also need one of the following items:
  • Credit or debit card
  • Bank or building society cheque/savings book
  • Valid passport
  • Driving licence
  • NHS medical card
  • Photo ID card (foreign national, military, police warrant, Royal Mail employee, NHS or senior citizen bus pass)

Soldato
My son got his today quite a difference from his old EU version internals have changed with 3 identity pictures 1 been colour , also I'd say it is more black than blue

Man of Honour
I'd. Never let a passport expire. You never know when you will need it. Admittedly spontaneous travel isn't so alluring right now.

On the face of it I’d agree with that, but my son, a 30 year resident of Germany and a German citizen for years now, came over for a visit just before we finally left the EU.
I saw his passport in the spare bedroom, and it said Bundesrublik Deutschland on the front, with Europaische Union on it as well.
I asked him where his U.K. one was, he said that it had expired some time ago.
I said that surely he could have renewed it at the U.K. Consulate in Hanover, some 100 km from his Bielefeld home.
He said that that was where he’d renewed it last time, but Germany wouldn’t recognise dual citizenship with U.K. when U.K. finally came out of the EU, so he didn’t bother.
I asked if that meant that he was no longer a U.K. citizen, he said that he might be, but didn’t care much really, he could go anywhere in the world with his German passport, including U.K., so what was the big deal?

Caporegime
On the face of it I’d agree with that, but my son, a 30 year resident of Germany and a German citizen for years now, came over for a visit just before we finally left the EU.
I saw his passport in the spare bedroom, and it said Bundesrublik Deutschland on the front, with Europaische Union on it as well.
I asked him where his U.K. one was, he said that it had expired some time ago.
I said that surely he could have renewed it at the U.K. Consulate in Hanover, some 100 km from his Bielefeld home.
He said that that was where he’d renewed it last time, but Germany wouldn’t recognise dual citizenship with U.K. when U.K. finally came out of the EU, so he didn’t bother.
I asked if that meant that he was no longer a U.K. citizen, he said that he might be, but didn’t care much really, he could go anywhere in the world with his German passport, including U.K., so what was the big deal?

Ok

Soldato
OP
Update on this:

My passport did end up expiring in May.
A couple of weeks ago I decided to get my photo taken in a booth in our local Tesco. I had the code sent to me via email and used it in my renewal application.

Renewing the passport was so easy. It was quickly done online. All I had to do was send them my old passport. Sent on 28th July, received new, dark blue passport yesterday, 2nd August. To me that is an impressive turnaround, considering there was a weekend in there.

New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.

Commissario
New passports look good. I had to sign mine, I don't remember doing that for the EU passport.
My last one came with my signature pre-printed on it because I’d physically signed the paper application form. Now that it’s all done online, there’s no signature for them to scan and print.

Soldato
OP
My last one came with my signature pre-printed on it because I’d physically signed the paper application form. Now that it’s all done online, there’s no signature for them to scan and print.

You're right. I seem to remember my old one had it printed on.

Something I'm not so sure about is opening the front page to see my mug peeping through a 50p shaped window :eek:

Soldato
Hi all,

I had hope to lose some COVID weight before taking a photo for my passport renewal, but that didn't work out. Passport expires this month.

If I let it expire, is it more hassle to renew than it would be while it is still active? For example, if it expires do I have to have photos signed and prove I am who I am?

Tbf I'm not as bothered anymore about taking a fat pic but thought I'd ask.

Bring your passport to a main post office along with an email address abd a mobile number and we will renew it for £91.50. Thats the photop and everything. It dosent matter if its expired as long as it was issued after 2004

Soldato
OP
Nope at post office we can do expired ones as well, no different to in date ones

It's all sorted now - post #51. I have also updated the first post.

As you mentioned, it was really straightforward and incredibly easy. I didn't get it done in Post Office, just photo from a booth and applied online. They must have processed it all as soon as they received my old passport as I received the new one incredibly quick.

Soldato
It's all sorted now - post #51. I have also updated the first post.

As you mentioned, it was really straightforward and incredibly easy. I didn't get it done in Post Office, just photo from a booth and applied online. They must have processed it all as soon as they received my old passport as I received the new one incredibly quick.

I did my son's passport online recently and was amazed how efficient it was.

His online driving licence application is another story altogether...

Soldato
My passport expired in March. Took 8 days from sending off to getting new passport.

One thing I don’t understand is why on the passport page with your details, there is a tiny photo size of little fingernail with DOB on it?

Let’s hope I can use my passport before Sept 2029 (need 6 months to travel)

Soldato
I look absolutely terrible in my new passport photo, I had got out of hospital like a month earlier.

Don't really care though. Mine had already expired and needed to be done.

Back
Top Bottom