They don’t make em like they use to do!

Soldato
Today I learned we still actively use a food processor / blender (mum uses for chillies so not to contaminate other newer ones)

from the 1980s, around 40 years old!

Breville Food Processor FP5, can’t even find pics online for it. She told me she bought it from a catalog and was struggling back then to pay the £2 weekly payments on it and has since never bought anything on credit!

Genuinely amazed I can’t imagine something lasting that long in today’s throw away culture.

Anyone else still use something really old?

Man of Honour
My mum still has a bunch of older kitchen appliances (Kenwood, Breville, etc.) that have stood the test of time - some she brought some "inherited" from older relatives when they passed away. The modern replacements rarely make it 2 years yet these just keep on going the odd bit of maintenance aside sometimes.

Associate
I've still got an old Phillips electric razer I got as a present from my nan about 26 years ago. It's rechargeable and still works fine as a backup, although the battery is very much on it's way out.

Caporegime
If all its used for is chillies and it doesn't have a circuit board it could last forever really. You may want to take it apart and service it a little. Lube up some parts with grease and put it back together and clean out any crap you find.

Associate
You can still get food processors of that sort of build quality, but most won't buy them because they were very expensive. Could put it on credit of course if you can afford to do so... perhaps weekly payments ;)

While throwaway culture is certainly a thing, ****** products existed in the 80's too. We just don't really talk about them because they didn't survive.

Associate
Not that old, but my previous grill I got 12 years ago for £25, and was working great till 2 years ago when the coating started coming off; eventually replaced it with the similar model for £30, and it is complete garbage. Does not heat as much or as uniformly and the coating is already starting to come off. Bought it 6 months ago.

Caporegime
You can still get food processors of that sort of build quality, but most won't buy them because they were very expensive. Could put it on credit of course if you can afford to do so... perhaps weekly payments ;)

While throwaway culture is certainly a thing, ****** products existed in the 80's too. We just don't really talk about them because they didn't survive.

The Vitamix I have comes to mind. I'm sure that will last my lifetime. The motor in it is a monster.

Soldato
I still think there should be a push to enforce servacability of various domestic items. Things like friges, washing machines etc.

The difference in environmental impact between throwing away a blown circuit board and an entire goddamn appliance is surely worth consideration.

Oldest thing i actually use is a 1952 dated tool that as i dont know the name of it i call the "pokamajig" due to it being basically a big spike thats good for poking things.

Caporegime
my parents still have a microwave from 1982, works well snd is nuch bigger than sny lf thew newer ones.
Think it is a Kenwood

Soldato
They really don't make things like they used to. It's pretty sad. Product teams used to make the best hardware they could so people would buy their stuff. But over time, everything became a price war. We shop mostly on price now with everything.

Man of Honour
Got an old Sanyo microwave that still works fine, must be pushing 30 years old now but we're hesitant to replace it as the newer ones don't have the space. Mum has an old Kenwood food processor that looks like something out the 80s but still works perfectly fine, it outlasted our magic bullet that was barely 10yo.

Soldato
No quite the same but my dad uses an old tub of mini cheddars to keep money in...looked at the best before date the other day... Mar 89, it doesn't look 30 odd year old :o

I've still got an old Phillips electric razer I got as a present from my nan about 26 years ago. It's rechargeable and still works fine as a backup, although the battery is very much on it's way out.

I have a working Philishave as well. Not as old as yours but still not bad going at 21 years, bought in late 2000.

My house still has its original boiler from when it was built in 1992. Potterton brand. I've been told not to get a new boiler and just get this one serviced every 1-2 years because apparently new boilers don't last as long.

Back
Top Bottom