Painting dash fascia with combo of satin & gloss

Associate
Just looking for bit of help with the best process for painting a radio fascia panel for my Focus, to go with a new android head unit.

Want the fascia to be satin black top and bottom with say 50mm stripe below the display area in gloss silver to match the heater control panel it sits over. Works ok with my current head unit but the Ford fascia was already silver so I just put the satin black on top

For new fascia once it’s primed, what sequence should I put the colours on? i.e put the black on most of the panel then mask it off and do silver, and laquer if needed? Or silver and laquer first then mask that off and spray the black? Or lastly mask and spray the black/silver then mask that off and do the other colour? Last option I’d be concerned about getting the line right where the colours meet if that makes sense?

Am maybe over thinking it but would like to get a decent job done.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Caporegime
Assuming the fascia is primed a light colour already (white or grey?) then silver section first, then black, as you don’t want any black overspray showing through the silver and making it appear blotchy.

Associate
OP
It’s in grey primer at the moment. I’ll go for that then - silver first then mask how I want it before doing the black sections.

Cheers

Caporegime
It’s in grey primer at the moment. I’ll go for that then - silver first then mask how I want it before doing the black sections.

Cheers
That’s how I’d go about it, not bother to mask before silver, wait for silver to dry and then mask and do black (or do lacquer, wait for that to dry and then mask and do black). That way you’ll not have problems trying to line up two maskings.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, had planned to flat off the primer tonight but found a I’d not quite covered all of it with the primer so had to put a bit more on.

Been using a spare fascia panel to see what the silver looks like - going to need few more coats than expected to get good coverage and will need the laquer to get a nice shine on it. Hopefully I’ll make any boo-boos on the practice panel while I get the hang of it

Back
Top Bottom