UEFA Europa League Final Villarreal v Man Utd ** spoilers ** [Wednesday 26th May 2021]

Caporegime
You said he was a failure in this sentence: "why did much more decorated managers like Van Gaal and Mourinho fail at it?"

I've not said that you said Ole was a success, you're merely not lumping him into your box of failures.

Ah I see the confusion, you haven't read the thread. Fez was talking about Ole being good at the easy things. I said if they were so easy then why did successful managers struggle with them. Nothing to do with overall achievements.

Soldato
The lack of subs in normal time, or even the first half of ET was baffling. It was clear we were running on empty. Really really poor management from Ole.

Rashford was completely absent throughout the game too, which has happened too many times this season. You had Shaw, who played really well, but was gimped by playing alongside Rashford. How he gets into the England side I'll never know.

Everyone Saying DDG has no blame is wrong too. It's not that he missed a penalty he should never have been taking, but that he failed to save eleven (!!!) other penalties... Barely came close. Poor. Very poor.

Soldato
I'm not saying Ole is perfect, but we need to give him another season and finish putting a squad together.

Last night just highlighted our lack of depth. That we managed to finish second with such a poor squad outside the 1st XI and the keystone cops in defence....something of a miracle tbh.

Give him the funds to fix the defence and shore up the midfield. Get the likes of Amad settled in.

Next season decides the success of Ole's tenure for me.

Soldato
rotflmao at these comments :D

Total redemption for Unai Emery tonight
Not sure what you mean, are you thinking I thought Man Utd should cruise it because yes I was, I'm not a Man Utd fan by the way.

With the 2 squads available Man Utd were far and away the favourites it just shows the difference between a coach with a clear match plan and one who isn't able to think on his feet. If the coaches were switched and Emery was Man Utd manager they would have smashed Villereal as he proved that with a match plan and coaching even the 'lesser' team (No disrespect to Villereal but their players aren't anywhere the level on Man Utds) can outperform a rudderless ship with a captain who hasn't got a clue if balls over the top aren't working.

Caporegime
I'm not saying Ole is perfect, but we need to give him another season and finish putting a squad together.

Last night just highlighted our lack of depth. That we managed to finish second with such a poor squad outside the 1st XI and the keystone cops in defence....something of a miracle tbh.

Give him the funds to fix the defence and shore up the midfield. Get the likes of Amad settled in.

Next season decides the success of Ole's tenure for me.

Agreed but will he get the backing he needs. He had zero backing last summer. It is a pure fluke Cavani worked out being successful and in a way is a blessing in disguise as money can be spent elsewhere this season.

Also whilst David De Gea was not at fault for the defeat it does show a change of the guard really as I think Henderson would have done better in the shootout. He must be the best paid keeper in the world so for that money we should be winning a shootout.

Soldato
Meanwhile rashford has received over 70 incidents of racist abuse on social media.
Just talking to my missus about this, Twitter and Facebook are absolutely abysmal at policing this and if they cannot stop it then a boycott from all decent users who don't accept this form (or any form) of abuse is needed, hit them where they feel it the most.

Caporegime
Don't worry I'm sure a few pro athletes will come off social media for a weekend, that will teach them.

If I was a well known individual there's not a chance in hell I'd be on social media and if I was it'd be locked down to only the people that I actually know.

Permabanned
Just talking to my missus about this, Twitter and Facebook are absolutely abysmal at policing this and if they cannot stop it then a boycott from all decent users who don't accept this form (or any form) of abuse is needed, hit them where they feel it the most.

I dont know if its increasing in football, social media has aggravated things or the internet is highlighting it more often but from my perspective, watching football for 40 years, it seems incidents of abuse are more prevalent these last few years. :confused:

I dont understand these people.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I think that was possibly the worst managerial performance I've ever seen in a final...?

What on earth is he thinking not making ANY subs in regular time, especially when you have Rashford wearing triangle boots or something? I don't dislike him as a player, on his day he can be great, but he's just so so inconsistent. He certainly didn't do himself any favours to Gareth last night, think I remember 3 shots which were all well wide, plus 'that' miss (I think the build up was offside, but still).

I think with United will finish 4th or lower next season if they don't get a new manager, I know they finished 2nd this year but I think next year it's likely Liverpool & Chelsea are going to have much stronger seasons.

De Gea not saving a single penalty at United is quite a stat, I hadn't realised that!

Soldato
I dont know if its increasing in football, social media has aggravated things or the internet is highlighting it more often but from my perspective, watching football for 40 years, it seems incidents of abuse are more prevalent these last few years. :confused:

I dont understand these people.
I do think it's the increase in social media, seems people are a lot more willing to say things online that they daren't say in face to face conversations.

I grew up watching fans throw bananas at John Barnes and even at that time couldn't understand why people hated him for just being a different skin colour, I also remember the crap Mark Walters got when he started playing for Rangers, that stuff was appalling.

Don
That is a bit of a mental stat for De Gea, if true, how unlucky must you be that a 1 in 3 chance (basic I know) you can never guess right? He's obviously a good shot stopper, so dive the right way, save it? Who's training him

fez

fez

Caporegime

Have you seen more abuse happening or are you just assuming that based on the media coverage. I mean its getting easier for more abuse to reach them because I could have dinner with my family and between mouthfuls post some abuse to anyone I want whereas in the past it would have been far more effort to be a *****.

The country is getting less racist and nasty for minorities and thats a fact. The ease of posting throwaway crap online has never been lower though. Kids have always done stupid stuff, it just used to be confined to their local area in the real world, now they can reach people across the world.

Soldato
I think that was possibly the worst managerial performance I've ever seen in a final...?

What on earth is he thinking not making ANY subs in regular time, especially when you have Rashford wearing triangle boots or something? I don't dislike him as a player, on his day he can be great, but he's just so so inconsistent. He certainly didn't do himself any favours to Gareth last night, think I remember 3 shots which were all well wide, plus 'that' miss (I think the build up was offside, but still).

I think with United will finish 4th or lower next season if they don't get a new manager, I know they finished 2nd this year but I think next year it's likely Liverpool & Chelsea are going to have much stronger seasons.

De Gea not saving a single penalty at United is quite a stat, I hadn't realised that!
De gea has saved 2 pens in prem still poor

fez

fez

Caporegime
That is a bit of a mental stat for De Gea, if true, how unlucky must you be that a 1 in 3 chance (basic I know) you can never guess right? He's obviously a good shot stopper, so dive the right way, save it? Who's training him

DDG has always been very meek IMO. Top shot stopper but doesn't command the penalty area and isn't great on crosses. You never felt like he was going to save any of those penalties and he barely moved for most of them. The ones he then did move for went down the middle :p

Back
Top Bottom