2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
OP
Just under 180 left I think and only 250 ish UK cars originally sold.

just spotted this:

Reasonable coverage of the Insight at this age, but the XL1 really has him won over, strikes me as noisy and that canal boat chugging with the CF tub! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Great explaination of the car with such enthusiasm - how everyone mocked me 13 years ago! :cry:

Good to see my handbrake pain was shared! Need to MOT mine again. A couple of brake pipes this time and maybe the rear dampers too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
MOT'd it again for a few summer events i want to go to. Then finally refitted the A pillar cladding after a poor refit after a windscreen (missing 4 clips per side and not seated correctly) - clips again ordered from Singapore after my previous order got thrown out in the Xmas recyling surge : the joy of parts being shipped in brown paper packaging.

RluPWeN.jpg

Then inspected where some water leaks were, the sealant around the big clip is fine and prevented the wet seat belt issue these cars have for the last 7 years or so, the clip sits in a natural well in the body where the ally A pillar extrusion is welded to the body - however the caulking is shrinking and drying out. So ive scrapped it out, removed loose bits and made more of a V groove for silicone sealer to get in properly. Image below was before so remains of the old stuff was still there, ive been far more liberal this time.

Mk57QOQ.jpg

New clips as the old ones basically break sacrifically to protect the cladding.
NmOCfIA.jpg

r2QHgFk.jpg

Smart these Honda engineers, the clips all float to a degree apart from thet mid point one with teh tab to lock into the cladding and hence act as a datum between the part and bodyside, after all the curved door profile and primary seal sit against this part so getting it right is key.

Combo of the tabs into the metal clips and the traditional clips (plus a bolt fron at the front that also secures the cladding to the wing to the body) means you really have had to screw something up for these to come off.

z975Opz.jpg

All on now and wind noise is much better.

mtt30C7.jpg

Worth updating anyway as the ownership somehow continues. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Took the Insight to Caffeine & Machine for one of there "I Love you man" evenings where there is a discussion with their guy Alex Goy an a car celebrity - This months was Jonny Smith. 1 hour discussion after his career and amusing stories from Max Power, Fifth Gear etc, a break and then 30mins Q&A. Then of course loiter around at the end. Got directed under the tree where the talk was talking place (previously ive only been to ones in the tent)

McKEaUE.jpeg
EPCh18z.jpeg
ZHyVQEq.jpeg

U2EZExI.jpeg

Adk8UtB.jpeg
Was nearly 9pm here so the lighting was dropping off.

CACNI7d.jpeg

Amusing chat with Jonny explaining the finer points of your car to ex-Jaguar Design Director Ian Callum :cry: :D

Reactions: mjt
Soldato
Saw the pics on the FB group, looks like a cool event

Would loved to have come join you and make a pair, but I'm still away with work.

Back
Top Bottom