*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'd advise against using the UniFi EA device long term, unless you are ready for the fun and games with it.

The LR is still the pick of the bunch IMO.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Why’s that?

You don't really get any support on the devices i.e RMA etc.., like a full retail device and also the hardware spec could change or it could be withdrawn.

Also you're not allowed to resell a EA device.

If you need a example, just have a look for the UniFi Leaf switch.

Associate
You don't really get any support on the devices i.e RMA etc.., like a full retail device and also the hardware spec could change or it could be withdrawn.

Also you're not allowed to resell a EA device.

If you need a example, just have a look for the UniFi Leaf switch.

Ah, I'm not too worried about any of that.

If the LR was in stock, I'd have bought that but I've been in desperate need of an extra AP for a while as my two lites don't give me the coverage I need.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

If the LR was in stock, I'd have bought that but I've been in desperate need of an extra AP for a while as my two lites don't give me the coverage I need.

I think LinITX had some W6 UniFi stock today as I had a email about it.

Soldato
Nothing on their site, sadly.

I don’t mind taking a gamble on the pro. If it’s no good, I’ll just get an LR and stick the pro to cover the garden or something :D

That’s not entirely how EA products work. Assuming an EA product goes GA then they’ll usually work fine. But if they amend, or deep-six the product then it’s not unknown for EA products to just stop working. In the case of the U6-Pro I doubt that will happen but if you want a rock-solid AP, buy the U6-LR.

Associate

Another vote to be careful with EA and even some newly released products in the main store. The first iteration of second gen switches such as US-L2-48-POE (see here) were in the main store but were then discontinued which means they could quickly become useless due to lack of software.

I think EA should be considered 'prototype' hardware with alpha software. Early general releases are then more what many consider the current EA to be as even then there have been a few early hardware revisions to fix significant issues.

These days I wait until a new Ubiquiti product is released few months or more and keep a close watch on forums before purchase.

Soldato
Another vote to be careful with EA and even some newly released products in the main store. The first iteration of second gen switches such as US-L2-48-POE (see here) were in the main store but were then discontinued which means they could quickly become useless due to lack of software.

I think EA should be considered 'prototype' hardware with alpha software. Early general releases are then more what many consider the current EA to be as even then there have been a few early hardware revisions to fix significant issues.

These days I wait until a new Ubiquiti product is released few months or more and keep a close watch on forums before purchase.

Absolutely agree with this. I would even go so far as to say don't touch anything new for 6 months after General Availability launch.

To give you an idea of what can happen - until very recently there was an Early Access U6-IW in-wall unit. Did that launch? Nope. Is it still supported in the controller? Nope. Is there about to be a U6-IW-Pro? Watch this space!

If you want to be truly horrified, just bear in mind that (and no-one involved in such a programme could discuss it) there is likely to be an Alpha development group who see hardware before it ever goes to Early Access.

Associate
I appreciate what you're all saying and while I'm surprised to learn that there are cases where EA products just stop working all together, I'm not too worried.

It's just one AP in a residential settings that's not going to be any bother to replace if that happens. It was far more important to me to get something Wifi6 and more powerful than the Lite in the centre of the house, even if it's short term :)

Also useful information to keep in mind for any more substantial purchases in the future, though!

Man of Honour
It's just one AP in a residential settings that's not going to be any bother to replace if that happens.
What about any critical firmware updates for it that closes severe security issues? Imagine a scenario where it ends up through some bug allowing unsecured connections so anyone can jump on (and view your internal network/devices) and you aren't able to patch it.

Associate
How would you ever know? Why not just get a supported device?

By whether the product gets discontinued/support dropped or not? I'd also know if unexpected devices were connected to my network :)

And if I could buy an LR, I would, but there haven't been any in stock anywhere for quite a while.

Sure it's a gamble, not a huge one but I'm comfortable with it.

Back
Top Bottom