Spec me a lawnmower!

Caporegime
Yeah non of them will collect, it's in the design as they cut every day so the clippings are so small they just fall through and compost down to feed the grass. The cut they give is superb. No matter how frequently i cut my lawn with my push along petrol it never looked nearly as good as now with the robot doing it.

How does it handle wet days?
It's been so wet here I haven't been able to cut for weeks. Some of the grass is a foot long!

Soldato
Have you got a perfectly square garden without any objects to get in the way? I'm sick of fighting with the cord on my 10 year old Bosch - it catches on EVERYTHING. Raised oval patio 'edges', twisted around ornamental troughs in the middle of the garden, branches from bushes, twists around small trees. Before I turned my front lawn into the driveway and a large flowerbed....front and rear lawns also meant faffing about moving the cable past the fence. The amount of time lost is way more than the 2 minutes to get the extension lead out.

My garden isn't huge but when I next buy a lawnmower it will definitely be cordless.

Both front and back are L shaped (sort of), we have a tree, beds, raised beds, patio and a gate. Not really a problem at all for me, having a cable doesn't seem to get in my way, certainly not enough to warrant me moving to a battery consumable alternative.

My main vacuum is corded too, I still don't find cordless vacuums worth the added consumable of the battery either. Maybe it's just me? Clearly it might be :p

Soldato
How does it handle wet days?
It's been so wet here I haven't been able to cut for weeks. Some of the grass is a foot long!

They don't notice it at all, they're so small and light they just scamper around as normal and don't churn up the grass or anything. I'll only pause it if it's been a few days of non stop rain and it's started to form puddles which may harm it.

This is what my lawn looks like this morning after lots of days of terribly wet weather, i'd not have been able to cut it for probably 2 weeks if i had a normal mower.

ACtC-3f5Jo80HJpuE5XoSqj9eWpaG0adb9yOVRHlY4yqWaGik10RCci6ZiDbdbq26Xu9wI-nJr8Im3N3l6PldB3rIx-dvsmYX-NV3MgIF2TtFlhzDAGBiB4p6ieM9aywyHfzx2L5mZb-CA4_j6nmF-X8x5_Pfw=w1730-h1297-no

Caporegime
They don't notice it at all, they're so small and light they just scamper around as normal and don't churn up the grass or anything. I'll only pause it if it's been a few days of non stop rain and it's started to form puddles which may harm it.

This is what my lawn looks like this morning after lots of days of terribly wet weather, i'd not have been able to cut it for probably 2 weeks if i had a normal mower.

ACtC-3f5Jo80HJpuE5XoSqj9eWpaG0adb9yOVRHlY4yqWaGik10RCci6ZiDbdbq26Xu9wI-nJr8Im3N3l6PldB3rIx-dvsmYX-NV3MgIF2TtFlhzDAGBiB4p6ieM9aywyHfzx2L5mZb-CA4_j6nmF-X8x5_Pfw=w1730-h1297-no
That's a big lawn for a robot! I'm impressed
Considered letting some of it go wild? For nature?

Soldato
That's a big lawn for a robot! I'm impressed
Considered letting some of it go wild? For nature?

Yeah that's only a bit of our lawn, we've got quite a bit of wild round the other side of the house as its nice to see the birds and insects using it all. I also planted 30m of native hedging along with the existing 30m of old hawthorn/blackthorn which we don't cut if we can help it, trying to do our bit for nature. The robot does about 3/8 of an acre i think in a 1/2 acre plot which is well within its comfort zone, i think it mows for 4 hours in the early morning and 3 in the late evening at the moment.

Soldato

You need one of these. ;)
Garden4.jpg

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Another vouch for Bosch corded.

I've left a corded Bosch in one of my rental properties which is coming up to 10 years old and is still working fine through multiple tenants.

Soldato
You need one of these. ;)
Garden4.jpg

Yeah been there done that, it was fun for a couple of months to drive around in a ride on after i first got it but the novelty wore off pretty quickly! Pushed on for about 2 years with it before i gave in and got a robot and it's a million times better, cheaper too! Couldn't imagine having to actually manually mow the lawn myself now, would feel like such a caveman in comparison.

Associate
OP
Update folks;
Flymo have said it’s 5-6 for replacement batteries and my grass is (was) super long anyway
Bought myself a Bosch Rotak 320R, and lawn is now mowed.
Aiming to get refund on the battery flymo
Many thanks for the suggestions

Soldato
Hi all

We have a small lawn at the front of the house, so a petrol one isn’t worth it
We did have a battery flymo last year but going to use it post-winter it was dead.

So we’re looking at corded electric ones again
Looking at Bosch ones but open to recommendations
Budget of around £80

Thanks!

Do you live on a road where everyone has a small lawn at the front of the house? If so, isn't a bit daft for every house to have individual mowers? Have you asked your neighbours if you could borrow theirs? Anything you could offer in return? Maybe a few other neighbours are also thinking of getting a new mower and you could all chip in and get one between a few households?

Associate
Do you live on a road where everyone has a small lawn at the front of the house? If so, isn't a bit daft for every house to have individual mowers? Have you asked your neighbours if you could borrow theirs? Anything you could offer in return? Maybe a few other neighbours are also thinking of getting a new mower and you could all chip in and get one between a few households?

The thing is people like to own stuff and it's often not about the money and it's less hassle. Long live consumerism!

Soldato
It's a sad day when community is equated with hassle. Being reliant, dependent, but also supporting of those around us is important. Today's wealth allows the individual to buy themselves out of these community engagements, likely to our collective cost.

Back
Top Bottom