8-Pack CPU bundle doesn't Overclock... please can someone help/advise me?

Soldato
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well!

I purchased this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/67698

Back in 2017 (I know, I know) and it's never been able to overclock at the speed it was speficically binned at and sold to me at.

I raised a thread when I got it asking for help and staff replied with things to try:

try upping the CPU voltage slightly as mentioned in the post? It can go up to 1.4v.
Increase the 'system agent voltage' option to 1.15v
Increase the 'DRAM voltage' to 1.35v
Finally if that does not work I recommend taking note of all the BIOS settings that were changed in the profile. Flash bios to latest revision. Input the overclocking settings again manually.

None of this worked and I couldn't really be bothered to persevere with it because everything I used it for ran just fine at the stock speed of 4.0ghz. I was too lazy to kick up a fuss about it not running at the advertised speeds and just cut my losses and ran it as stock ever since.

It was sold as being professionally overclocked to 4.8ghz, and the profile is still in the bios but it always bluescreens my machine.

I'm not a good overclocker and don't really know how, which is why I bought one that was already supposed to be tweaked by the professionals, but I just can't for the life of me get it to work.

I gave up on it for so long because I'm always working and have 3 kids and just didn't have the patience or real need to bother trying to make it go above 4ghz

I've recently given the machine a complete spring clean, re-did the paste with thermal grizzly, cleaned out all dust, re-installed windows etc, but it's still stuck at 4ghz :(

I think this is the Profile I'm using:

https://img.overclockers.co.uk/media/archive/Asus-6700K-Bios-and-OC-Profile.rar

This is the thread that was originally showing off the CPU with screenshots etc, that I largely don't understand lol:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...le-270-cheaper-than-z270-equivalent.18780047/

Now that I've started streaming on this machine I'm finding that 4.0ghz is just not cutting it anymore and would really love to get a boost out of this thing if I can.

If anyone could please provide any insight or assitance I'd be ever so appreciative.

In the meantime I'm going to see if there is a newer bios out there than the most recent one I've tried, but I don't hold out much hope.

This is maybe a dumb question... but since it's windows bluescreening is there something I'm supposed to change in Windows 10 before overclocking the machine?

Many thanks,

UKGuru

Soldato
Now that I've started streaming on this machine I'm finding that 4.0ghz is just not cutting it anymore and would really love to get a boost out of this thing if I can.
By today's standards low end quad core runs out of cores to stream games.
Only something like LN2 overclocking woudl give enough extra clocks to help with that.

Soldato
OP
By today's standards low end quad core runs out of cores to stream games.
Only something like LN2 overclocking woudl give enough extra clocks to help with that.

I’m not sure what LN2 means dude, but I’ve only got this rig haha

Are you streaming and gaming at the same time ?

Yes mate

I’ve actually managed to install the latest BIOS last night and although it lost all the overclocking profiles and refuses to let me import them I've managed to install something called AI suite which lets you overclock in windows. I tried 4.2ghz and it seems to run okay now :)

Will probably try to get it higher when I have more time, but I’m happy it’s running, did a short test stream just now and it seems good, one of the viewers said it was “excellent” and the game felt fine so it’s all good

Man of Honour
A good place to start really is knowing what the BSOD code was as sometimes that can more reliably point to where the weakness is than others.

Soldato
Any issues you have gaming/streaming is more likely down to lack the of cores rather than a couple of hundred MHz higher boost.

You could always upgrade to a modern 8 core or if you wanted to keep the upgrade cheap then a 11400F/B560 would give a decent performance boost with a couple of extra cores and would probably not even cost any extra than the money you would get from selling the 6700K + board.

Man of Honour
Any issues you have gaming/streaming is more likely down to lack the of cores rather than a couple of hundred MHz higher boost.

You could always upgrade to a modern 8 core or if you wanted to keep the upgrade cheap then a 11400F/B560 would give a decent performance boost with a couple of extra cores and would probably not even cost any extra than the money you would get from selling the 6700K + board.

Not that I do it much but for streaming/recording I just grabbed a mid-price HDMI capture device (does fine for 1080p 60Hz output and takes a range of input up to 4K) and use OBS on a spare laptop (doesn't even have to be that modern - any reasonably specced laptop in the last 7 years or so should handle 1080p capture and streaming) - takes all the strain off my gaming system and can capture stuff that some software struggles with grabbing at the software API level.

EDIT: Though the downside on that is audio - other than the high end capture devices the audio is trash on them - I ended up using an external mixer to split off audio from my gaming PC to headphones and into the capture laptop.

Associate

Agree with this advice. Gaming & streaming at the same time on a 4c/8t CPU is going to be a struggle with any game that is remotely demanding.

Back
Top Bottom