Any good God games?

Soldato
When I was a kid I loved Populous on the Atari, which obviously by todays standards is very basic. Then when I first got into PC gaming I really loved Black & White 1 and 2. I still dabbled in Black & White 2 over the years because nothing similar has (to my knowledge) come out since.

Are there any games along these lines which are more recent and recommended? I remember supporting Goddus on Kickstarter but it was never any good.
I see a game called Gods was being developed by Roosevelt Games but can't see any updates since 2019 :confused:

Associate
When I was a kid I loved Populous on the Atari, which obviously by todays standards is very basic. Then when I first got into PC gaming I really loved Black & White 1 and 2. I still dabbled in Black & White 2 over the years because nothing similar has (to my knowledge) come out since.

Are there any games along these lines which are more recent and recommended? I remember supporting Goddus on Kickstarter but it was never any good.
I see a game called Gods was being developed by Roosevelt Games but can't see any updates since 2019 :confused:
Ugh, so disappointed by Godus, the concept was good and the first few minutes gave me such hope.

Associate
Populous by Bullfrog (1992). I bought this at the time - I think it was 4 gods playing a board game or something? You raised and lowered land, its been years, always remember it as a quirky game.

Bullfrog who later went on to produce Black and White, always did release some weird games! They would usually build a jaw dropping engine and then add a game (Magic Carpet & Black and White - which was the most overhyped game by PC Zone).

Soldato
You have just unlocked memories of me trying to play what I assume was the first black and white on an absolute potato many years ago. - EDIT definitely the first one looking at the case art

Trying to fling fireballs at rival villages @ 2 fps was quite the challenge!

I may even buy one of them again off the back of this thread. I can remember very little of the game, but I remember it was fun despite the performance issues I was facing. Though, I also thought the original runescape was fun around that time, so I'm not sure past me is the most reliable recommendation for fun games!

Associate
Black & White was so hyped up but was actually a fairly poor game and the monster was mostly a novelty that didn’t live up to all the amazing reviews and previews.

I still have nightmares about that ship of singing pirates that you had to listen to their entire song when you visited them, there was no way to skip the singing cutscene

Soldato
Theres a game on Steam that looks a bit like Populous called Reprisal Universe, never played it so not sure if any good.

This thread also reminds me of Powermonger used to enjoy that.

Associate
Not recent but Dungeon Keeper 1&2 were insanely good. Bullfrog games were definitely the leader in this genre, no one seems to have picked up the reins after them.

Soldato
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1426730/The_Immortal_Mayor/

another for you to check if you are still watchign this thread :)

Caporegime
B&o were awesome if terrible st times.

you’d think these days with neuralnets etc being in modern processors and all the si stuff we could get an epic b&w3 where it was all about making that creature have a personality

I remember spending hours and hours training mine to visit a different village and poo i their food stores to poison them

Back
Top Bottom