• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080Ti mining performance revealed!

Associate
Nope, why dont they just make them 0 mh/s ? as if there attended for a gamer, they wont mine on them anyway, thats what they should do, make them zero.
That's just completely untrue.

There are plenty of gamers that play games on their cards and then overnight or during work hours etc.. use it for mining for a little return. Not everyone who 'mines' has 30+ cards in some uber rig in a basement somewhere.

Besides, the limiter is for the Ethereum algorithm only.(of which I have no doubt will be bypassed in minutes anyway) so people can just swap to different cryptos in the meantime. Ethereum is going proof of stake soon too, so this whole drive against mining it is almost completely pointless.

This whole limiter thing is a publicity stunt only.. it will do little for supply (there is a silicon shortage remember) and certainly won't stop big miners buying up the cards.

It's such a waste of time, and it's sad that some people are eating it up as if they actually care about 'getting cards into the hands of gamers'

What's even worse are these so-called crypto cards. Miner's won't buy those as they'll have next to no resale value and if they do then once the next gen comes out they'll just chuck them in the bin. Well done nvidia, way to massively add to the growing e-waste problem. At least with normal cards they can be re-sold and with a re-pasting will be as good as new and some gamer will get a good card for the fraction of the price of new. Watch gamers moan when the 2nd hand market dries up completely and their only options are buying brand new cards at an absolute premium.

It's so short-sighted.

wow.. didn't realise how much this was annoying me :D Never vented all that 'til now. heh

Soldato
On par with a 3070, so if they're available for ~£1000 that still looks like a pretty attractive deal for miners, given the resale value would also be a lot higher than a 3070.

Soldato

There are plenty of gamers that play games on their cards and then overnight or during work hours etc.. use it for mining for a little return. Not everyone who 'mines' has 30+ cards in some uber rig in a basement somewhere.

Besides, the limiter is for the Ethereum algorithm only.(of which I have no doubt will be bypassed in minutes anyway) so people can just swap to different cryptos in the meantime. Ethereum is going proof of stake soon too, so this whole drive against mining it is almost completely pointless.

This whole limiter thing is a publicity stunt only.. it will do little for supply (there is a silicon shortage remember) and certainly won't stop big miners buying up the cards.

It's such a waste of time, and it's sad that some people are eating it up as if they actually care about 'getting cards into the hands of gamers'

What's even worse are these so-called crypto cards. Miner's won't buy those as they'll have next to no resale value and if they do then once the next gen comes out they'll just chuck them in the bin. Well done nvidia, way to massively add to the growing e-waste problem. At least with normal cards they can be re-sold and with a re-pasting will be as good as new and some gamer will get a good card for the fraction of the price of new. Watch gamers moan when the 2nd hand market dries up completely and their only options are buying brand new cards at an absolute premium.

It's so short-sighted.

wow.. didn't realise how much this was annoying me :D Never vented all that 'til now. heh
So my answer was true then, Nope, so im completely right, my reply was to the guy above, who asked "Will this end the mining plague?" and i said nope, so you are saying it will end the plague then ?

Associate
58mh/s, when a much cheaper 3080, would get you over 86, until the limiters been broken, which could be by now :p

the limiter was never even broken before, would be nice if these much cheaper 3080s could be kicking about tho, both will be priced like gold and as rare as rocking horse ****

Associate
But you will also have the hiveOS work around using LOL miner with the 3080TI as with the 3060 which gives 75% of the full Hash rate so on a 3080Ti that would be about 87 MH/s

Associate

It's so short-sighted.

The fact gamers are using their card to mine on the side is meaning many are paying more for a card than they usually would.
I know a few people who bought the 3090, only because they could subsidise the price by mining.
Whether I agree with it or not, the guys point of making them 0 hash rate would stop that part of the inflation.

Associate
supz while i do understand your frustration, and respect your opinion, i have to disagree.

If limiter is hardware-based, then it is impossible to undo it. so no. miners will not buy 3080ti to mine etherium. roi is not there.

also (this is my personal opinion) i don't think there is silicone shortage, a few places reporting 2x numbers in gpu sales on both nvidia and ati. i strongly believe miners are the sole reason for this.

Big miners buy directly from manufacturers or distributors, and small single gpu or few gpu miners buy at inflated prices becoz they think they get their money back in 6 months.

i follow a few reddit mining comiunities, and the cry is showing up. the mining bearly covers the electricity already, and if it stays this way then soon all them gpus are out to the masses.

LWH

LWH

Associate
supz while i do understand your frustration, and respect your opinion, i have to disagree.

If limiter is hardware-based, then it is impossible to undo it. so no. miners will not buy 3080ti to mine etherium. roi is not there.

also (this is my personal opinion) i don't think there is silicone shortage, a few places reporting 2x numbers in gpu sales on both nvidia and ati. i strongly believe miners are the sole reason for this.

Big miners buy directly from manufacturers or distributors, and small single gpu or few gpu miners buy at inflated prices becoz they think they get their money back in 6 months.

i follow a few reddit mining comiunities, and the cry is showing up. the mining bearly covers the electricity already, and if it stays this way then soon all them gpus are out to the masses.

I’m sure that I’ve seen stats that show when mining becomes unprofitable. You don’t know them by chance, I’ve not been able to refind them

Soldato

How much are they paying for leccy!?
My cards are making 4-5 times electricity cost, even before taking of the savings from solar. Solar is so cheap now I would find it really surprising that most serious miners are not using some.

Associate
If limiter is hardware-based, then it is impossible to undo it.
IF being the important word.;)

Point being, that mining at the end of the day is just a compute load for the GPU to do and in hardware it would be very hard to limit it without also limiting various legit GPU compute workloads. The most obvious ones are things like SETI or FoldingAtHome, but these days games may also run workloads which look like GPU compute.

Hence why Nvidia had to apply their limiter at the driver level. Since drivers are signed (even on Linux AFAIK since the open source drivers for Nvidia stuff there are very very limited as unlike with AMD the developers get no cooperation), it is very hard to bypass that - unless Nvidia "accidentally" leaks a beta driver again.

Could it be possible to limit Ethereum at the hardware level? Anything is possible but it would involve work which would have to be baked into the design. Certainly not something they could quickly do.

While the numbers for Ampere at least from the Steam survey indicate that millions of 3000 cards have ended up with people-who-install-Steam, RDNA2 cards have been very rare as most of AMD's TSMC 7nm wafers haver gone to consoles and whatever they have left is far far more profitable to use for Zen3.

I don't doubt that demand from both gamers and miners is insane, but at least on the AMD side (and remember that this gen Nvidia performs better at Ethereum than AMD) there are major shortages.

Associate

It's so short-sighted.

comepletly agree with all of this. i wont be happy paying more for a card with less features/performance than a card they sold a year ago almost... because lets not forget they wont be making these cards match MSRP. they match the "revised" MSRP.

Back
Top Bottom