When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Answer to OP - when electric cars have 300+ mile ranges AND solid state batteries that dont die after 5 years or whatever and appear in 2nd hand market.. ie. some way off from now ;)

Associate
Answer to OP - when electric cars have 300+ mile ranges AND solid state batteries that dont die after 5 years or whatever and appear in 2nd hand market.. ie. some way off from now ;)

This is now.. except it will take about 3 more years until they are available as 5 year sold 2nd hand.

Not sure why this myth of batteries needing replacing is still going around. In the rare situation where a battery was faulty and did need replacing then it'd be replaced free of charge under the 8 year warranty.

Associate
Someone I know had the opposite and it just wouldn't change lol. Got stranded and had to stay overnight to wait for a flatbed with crane to move the thing. Breakdown guy couldn't do anything with it, nor could the dealer, it had to be shipped back to the factory in fricking Japan. Welcome to the future.
This always happens to 'someone people know' but never sure who...
Surely if there is a charging fault that the dealer can't fix, they supply you a new vehicle under warranty. Doubt you'd ever know what happened to the old one.

Soldato
Not sure why this myth of batteries needing replacing is still going around. In the rare situation where a battery was faulty and did need replacing then it'd be replaced free of charge under the 8 year warranty.

yes and no - have battery resilience tests now been extended to confirm there is no throttling back (a la apple) going into the software to reduce the stress put onto ageing batteries ?
if my 400Nm car has downrated to 250Nm as a 2nd hand owner, I might be non-plussed - manufacturers have done machiavellic things before now.

Associate
It would give some piece of mind if one could charge ones car from another electric vehicle. Ie could get wife to connect here up to mine if running low in order to get mine home. Anyone think this would be a nice feature?

Soldato
Some new EVs can charge another car (or power other electrical items, even a house).

Hopefully this will become a standard feature.

V2H and V2G are going to become hugely important for the future of electrification of households, and businesses. They just need to pull their finger out and get a CCS standard approved before the predicted 2025 date, the CHAdeMO standard is way ahead for these uses but sadly hasn't had global acceptance, and is unlikely to which is annoying.

Soldato
It’s V2L (Vehicle to Load) and the Hyundai E-GMP on the Ioniq 5 is a output of 3.6kW which is loads for backup loads, microwave when camping etc. In terms of charging another car... pretty low number situations where that charge speed will help. I think the F150 is higher now ~10kW and the Rivian.

Soldato
This always happens to 'someone people know' but never sure who...
Surely if there is a charging fault that the dealer can't fix, they supply you a new vehicle under warranty. Doubt you'd ever know what happened to the old one.

Well that is what happened. So...

Associate
It’s V2L (Vehicle to Load) and the Hyundai E-GMP on the Ioniq 5 is a output of 3.6kW which is loads for backup loads, microwave when camping etc. In terms of charging another car... pretty low number situations where that charge speed will help. I think the F150 is higher now ~10kW and the Rivian.
thats a new one on me, taking a microwave camping:p. i think i wouldn't want to run down a car's battery's unless like in a campervan you had a split charge separate leisure battery

Soldato
The main issue with V2L is that there just isn’t a standard you can use to hook it up to your house and the grid. Anything coming to market now probably will not work with what ever that standard ends up being later down the line.

Having a decent AC inverter in the car is pretty handy though but I don’t expect many will actually use it or spec it on the ionic 5.

Associate
yes and no - have battery resilience tests now been extended to confirm there is no throttling back (a la apple) going into the software to reduce the stress put onto ageing batteries ?
if my 400Nm car has downrated to 250Nm as a 2nd hand owner, I might be non-plussed - manufacturers have done machiavellic things before now.

There’s no reduction in performance (i.e horsepower) as the car ages.

A battery pack has a capacity and a usable capacity. As the pack ages some of that slack is generally used to maintain its full capacity. This tends to flatten out over a few years use. So you may start with 300 miles range then when the car is 10 years old it may have 280 miles range with the original battery pack.

rather coincidental .... from mr machiavellicmusk
https://electrek.co/2021/05/24/tesl...rging-speed-asked-pay-16000-thousands-owners/
can't see if owners have been monitoring their tesla performanes/acceleration too.

This was a particular Tesla Model S battery type that had some issues, so Tesla limited the supercharging speed to protect it (arguably to avoid having to replace batteries for customers). Not a good thing to do and they will probably have to pay for it.

Associate
This is now.. except it will take about 3 more years until they are available as 5 year sold 2nd hand.

What? Solid state batteries NOW?

Back
Top Bottom