Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Will see if there is any advice received before starting own thread....

Looking to replace our gate, it's hung between stone walls and plan is to use the old hinges latch receiver (sorry totally blanking and what it could be called)
The current latch is surface mounted, as in a latch style you'd use internally. Has to be this style and not the typical lift up garden latch style- there's some heavy duty metal work.

Are there any latches designed for exterior use, or are they all? Doesn't have to be surface mounted.

Caporegime
Im after a laser level, couldn't justify the cost of
The dewalt one as it will get very occasional use

Ive ordered a cheapie one from Amazon to try out crossing my fingers it doesnt suck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VPH48T9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BRVF1C9BJZ0474M9MEX8

I tried a cheap laser measuring tape type device and even in the exact same spot used several times the distance measured varied wildly however for something like leveling it should be fine but I'd be tempted to use two poles, string and measuring tape if it needed to be 100% level.

Soldato
Im after a laser level, couldn't justify the cost of
The dewalt one as it will get very occasional use

Ive ordered a cheapie one from Amazon to try out crossing my fingers it doesnt suck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VPH48T9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BRVF1C9BJZ0474M9MEX8

this came yesterday. fantastic bit of kit, grabbed one one of these also to mount it on

Amazon Basics 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Bag https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005KP4...abc_03SA8MBE74WA4WYMS35E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
Much as I don't like using it my Oscilating saw got me out of trouble today - It's a Stanley fatmax 18v - one of the many tools I bought from Homebase when they had a massive sale.
It's small and light so it shakes my hands to death -Trying to remove a 50mm x 20mm batten from a 3x3 fence post and couldn't find the screws -just pushed blade through small gap and up and down and it was off - 6 all together - so it paid for itself today

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Much as I don't like using it my Oscilating saw got me out of trouble today - It's a Stanley fatmax 18v - one of the many tools I bought from Homebase when they had a massive sale.
It's small and light so it shakes my hands to death -Trying to remove a 50mm x 20mm batten from a 3x3 fence post and couldn't find the screws -just pushed blade through small gap and up and down and it was off - 6 all together - so it paid for itself today

I was in two minds when I bought my Dewalt multi tool as to how much use it would get, couldn't turn down the eBay voucher price and it's probably my most used tool and saved my ass many times.

Soldato
Does anyone on here own a dirty water/puddle pump that they can recommend? I’ll need one for draining a flooded area of the garden from time to time, plus to also pump out a pond I’m planning to get rid of. In future I’ll also look at getting a pump with a float switch I can install in a sump once I’ve got the area sorted, to hopefully prevent the flooding from coming back.

Soldato
Anyone got the below ryobi strimmer?

Ryobi OLT1832 18V ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer, 25-30cm Path (Zero Tool), 18 V, Hyper Green & RAC124 1.6 mm Spool for RLT2925 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H8ZR...abc_JK17KG3QHPYQNNZ7FHD4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i dont own anything ryobi but the dewalt battery adaptors are cheap. My ancient black and decker strimmer is coming to the end of its life

I have this and it works great. The line breaks really quite easy but it lasts ages on a 4AH battery and the flip round for edging is handy. I'm still on my first spool after a year so I would save yourself money and just get the strimmer only for 60 quid as the line that comes with it is about that price anyway.

Also I need a proper belt sander for a table im working on anyone got any recommendations as been looking at this one here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sander-Jel...qid=1621959688&sprefix=belt+sa,aps,176&sr=8-6

Associate
Anyone got the below ryobi strimmer?

Ryobi OLT1832 18V ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer, 25-30cm Path (Zero Tool), 18 V, Hyper Green & RAC124 1.6 mm Spool for RLT2925 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08H8ZR...abc_JK17KG3QHPYQNNZ7FHD4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i dont own anything ryobi but the dewalt battery adaptors are cheap. My ancient black and decker strimmer is coming to the end of its life

Yep, had a Spear and Jackson cordless before and it was rubbish. This is much more solid and powerful. Great bit of kit!

You can pick them up from Amazon much cheaper though. Paid £50 for mine.

Soldato
Yeah got that Ryobi myself and it's been great for garden edges and bits the lawnmower doesn't get. I paid £48 for mine from SGS engineering for the bare tool so should be available cheaper. £54 on tooled up seems c heapest.

Associate
Yeah got that Ryobi myself and it's been great for garden edges and bits the lawnmower doesn't get. I paid £48 for mine from SGS engineering for the bare tool so should be available cheaper. £54 on tooled up seems c heapest.

Oooo just missed out on the free delivery. They seem to vary from around £50 to £85 from having watched them for a bit. for £50 delivered I couldn't be bothered waiting anymore to save a couple of quid.

Associate
I started down the cordless Worx line after getting a jigsaw and strimmer.
Am pleased with the strimmer after 2 spring/summers use and rarely does it need a second 2ah battery to be used. Only if I've left the garden for a bit too long and the edging has gone a bit wild.
Then bought the Dewalt drill and impact driver kit, so can now can get an adapter to use the DeWalt 4ah batteries on the Worx tools if need be. Not that I can see me needing to really.

Permabanned

Demolition saws, as I call them, are the most underrated tools out there. They are incredibly useful for a ton of jobs, yet few people ever seem to buy one. You are not going to build a new dining room table with one, but when it comes to destroying stuff they are second to none!

Permabanned
Just bought a Festool KS 120 REB. Excited about using that when it arrives. Expensive, I know, but I finally gave up on buying a new graphics card, lol.

Permabanned
I tend to do lots of things that need mitre saws! It was getting time to replace my old saw so I looked around at Makita, DeWalt and so on. Had I been new to mitre saws I would have probably gone for the DeWalt, but it is pretty common knowledge on the building site that DeWalt have spent too much time sitting on their laurels instead of innovating! The Festool is insanely over-priced but then so are graphics cards. I'm getting used to a crazy world that just wants to steal all my money.

Soldato
What's the consensus on non-genuine additional 18v batteries?

Watching a few genuine 5ah 18v batteries currently but see absolutely heaps of 'replica' batteries on eBay. My head tells me it's a false economy, unlikely to give a similar duration operating time as a genuine battery or for capacity to diminish more quickly than an OEM.

Reviews are of course hit & miss but people are seemingly buying them.

Back
Top Bottom