• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Pet Northerner
Don
Its more all this place has done is cry we need 3*** gpus "what about the gamers" OCUK staff saying they are trying to help the situation, then in the MM people selling there old tat for 3 times its value. Ive always saw the MM as a place of salvation for nerds like us. Seems its no better than fleabay these days.

To be 100% clear here, anyone found selling gear for more than they paid get a ban from the MM. High valued Gfx cards (read: any over msrp) are usually pulled up by a mod and proof of purchase is requested before the sale can continue.

Soldato
To be 100% clear here, anyone found selling gear for more than they paid get a ban from the MM. High valued Gfx cards (read: any over msrp) are usually pulled up by a mod and proof of purchase is requested before the sale can continue.

GTX 1080ti's cost £650 - £900 new, so anyone that is the original owner is unlikely sell them for more than they paid anyway.

Around £500 is probably a fair price for a 1080ti in the current market.

Associate
Its more all this place has done is cry we need 3*** gpus "what about the gamers" OCUK staff saying they are trying to help the situation, then in the MM people selling there old tat for 3 times its value. Ive always saw the MM as a place of salvation for nerds like us. Seems its no better than fleabay these days.

I don't understand, it's a free and open market. I think you're confusing what you'd pay for something with its actual value.

If that's what they are selling for, that is what they are worth and no one should lose out by selling it for any less.

Man of Honour
It's crazy, I could sell my 1080 for much more than it cost me, and I bought it about 4 years ago and have had some good use of it. There's some bottomless void in the world that GPUs are just falling into.

Associate
Considering I sold my previous EVGA RTX 2080 XC very little use for just over 350,.just around Xmas time, that was a gift then.
About the 3090, yes, it's expensive even before scalping, but I wouldn't sell mine. Should be fine for some time at 1440p.

Soldato
What are 3080’s actually going for atm? See all these ridiculous prices on the bay but are people actually paying them? Currently looking like I got it for a steal at £650. If people were to sell their gpu’s as well it’s getting hold of another one for a decent price as they’ll all be well overpriced atm won’t they? My card is currently showing as being £1100 on ocuk which is mental.

Associate
I was very kind well, semi kind to a friend selling him a 1080 I had spare for £300. His GPU burnt out and it was the difference between no pc or a working one.

Man of Honour
People still tryting it on in the MM, couple of 1080tis £600+ Shouldnt be allowed.
£600 might be more than they are worth (although who knows in the current climate - what cards are in stock new with better performance for the same or less money?) but they were also expensive cards to buy new, so they probably aren't breaching rules as I expect a lot cost £600+

So the way it works with profiteering rules, if you paid over the odds to start with then you are allowed to sell for more than current value; conversely if you got a good deal orginally then MM probably not the best place to sell. I sold my RX480 8GB on ebay because I got it very cheap (£147) and wouldn't want to sell that low which ruled out MM. Same goes for my 1070ti, I bought it second hand, so I can't stick it up on MM at RRP and wouldn't want to sell at the price I paid.

I think the best approach for MM might be bundle deals (keen to get a mod's view on this), i.e. if you need effectively to sell a card for what it is worth rather than what you paid for it for, but without breaching any rules, bundle it with other items that are now worth less than you paid. Then you can set the total price as a bit less than whatever you paid for all the items. So e.g. sell an RTX3080 (£650) along with a GTX480 (£250) and 8800GTS (£200) for £1k against the price paid of £1100 (made up numbers but you get the drift).

Soldato
People still tryting it on in the MM, couple of 1080tis £600+ Shouldnt be allowed.

Its only slightly more than CEX are paying for them so they're probably trying it here first I imagine.

Hmm. Price for 3090's has dropped only +£300 if you have an FE. Think I'll be hanging onto mine but £315 for my old GTX 1080 gathering dust? I think I'll be trotting along there at some point.

Permabanned
Only a very few people are getting fleeced by extremely expensive GPUs, no one really is buying at these extortionate prices.
Supply and demand I guess, if people are willing to pay that price what's the problem with people selling them at that price?

The prices are insane and I hope it stops !

Soldato
Only a very few people are getting fleeced by extremely expensive GPUs, no one really is buying at these extortionate prices.

The prices are insane and I hope it stops !

Yeah, I agree, but with anything in the world, the price is driven by the market, do people moan when OCUK put their prices up, do we all demand that they only make X percent profit, no, so why should people care if the market dictates what people bought something for and what they sell it for, if they don't want to buy it nobody is holding a gun to their heads..

Permabanned
Yeah, I agree, but with anything in the world, the price is driven by the market, do people moan when OCUK put their prices up, do we all demand that they only make X percent profit, no, so why should people care if the market dictates what people bought something for and what they sell it for, if they don't want to buy it nobody is holding a gun to their heads..

I feel very sad to see PC gaming in this bad state. People buying up all the GPUs and listing them for 3 times thier purchase price. Even console gaming is in a bad state.

Do you think the gaming industry will recover?

Soldato
I feel very sad to see PC gaming in this bad state. People buying up all the GPUs and listing them for 3 times thier purchase price. Even console gaming is in a bad state.

Do you think the gaming industry will recover?
Sign of quite a healthy gaming industry I think, huge demand.
Main problem is the chip shortage is it not? Seems to be always something these days affecting the price of tech. Sky high memory shortages a few years ago for example. One might think there's an effort going on to maintain high prices :)
Was surprised to see £399 being offered for 2080's to be honest (company buying to resell). If my spare one didnt have faulty LED's for the logo, I'd be straight in my local store with it :D. Might be time to do that RMA return - thought it'd be worth £150 private sale max by now!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
CEX cash prices dropped again today, I think they realised they were going a bit OTT and you can see their stock levels increasing as people are offloading but others not willing to buy (hardly surprisingly given they now have well over a grand markup). I think I'll be cashing in on Saturday using my quote from yesterday and then try and bag a 3070ti FE when they come out.

Permabanned
Sign of quite a healthy gaming industry I think, huge demand.
Main problem is the chip shortage is it not? Seems to be always something these days affecting the price of tech. Sky high memory shortages a few years ago for example. One might think there's an effort going on to maintain high prices :)
Was surprised to see £399 being offered for 2080's to be honest (company buying to resell). If my spare one didnt have faulty LED's for the logo, I'd be straight in my local store with it :D. Might be time to do that RMA return - thought it'd be worth £150 private sale max by now!

It looks unhealthy to me mate :D In terms of hardware, demand is mainly drummed up by miners and scalpers buying all the stock. Pricing is an absolute shambles! And there's more of this to come.

This is certainly going to put people off, from coming to PC gaming and building a PC for gaming.

PC gamers are even looking into consoles and game streaming sites.

Soldato
What are 3080’s actually going for atm? See all these ridiculous prices on the bay but are people actually paying them? Currently looking like I got it for a steal at £650. If people were to sell their gpu’s as well it’s getting hold of another one for a decent price as they’ll all be well overpriced atm won’t they? My card is currently showing as being £1100 on ocuk which is mental.
You can just do an advanced search on Ebay for sold items. £1500 could be considered the base price that they're selling for, with many going for notably more than that. A few in the mid-£1400s that were bids, rather than BIN listings. So yeah, people are ****ing nuts.

Back
Top Bottom