• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I RMA a Ryzen 5900x that CTD's with certain games, but fine with CPB off?

Associate
I've got a 5800x with the same issue. Took me way too long to figure out the problem was with CPB. Unfortunately RMAing to AMD directly is the only option now which means dealing with brexit related shipping delays and being slapped with customs fees.

Good news is CTR 2.1 works with CPB off which lets you assign fixed voltage and clock speed profiles. I have it so at one end single threaded loads hit 4.85ghz and at the other all core at 4.7ghz. More specifically in the utility:

PX HIGH 4850/1375mv
PX MID 4775/1375mv
PX LOW 4750/1350mv
P2 4750/1350mv
P1 4700/1275mv

Annoying that it doesn't work out of the box properly and having to rely on a 3rd party utility but I already spent over a month dealing with a separate RMA situation shipping things to the EU and I'd rather not go down that road again.

Soldato
You've definitely got a dud chip. There wasn't a QC process in place for the 5000 series and many 5900X CPUs are suffering catastrophic instability under stock factory settings. Your CPU should have never made it past the production line, let alone into retail distribution.

Have any links to this ? can't say I've seen many on here posting with catastrophic failures nor anything regards lack of QC.

Soldato
probably been through 6 builds 6-7 CPU's through the years not once had faulty chip but recently 5900x died after 1 week of use maybe unlucky :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
probably been through 6 builds 6-7 CPU's through the years not once had faulty chip but recently 5900x died after 1 week of use maybe unlucky :rolleyes:
That sucks!!

In all my years of building PCs, I havent ever had a CPU fail either. ITs the one component I have never had to RMA.
I did hear talk of 5000 series chips having higher fail rates... which did get me worrying!

Have you RMA'ed yours and got a replacement? How was it with brexit BS? (Has to go to NL right?)

Soldato
That sucks!!

In all my years of building PCs, I havent ever had a CPU fail either. ITs the one component I have never had to RMA.
I did hear talk of 5000 series chips having higher fail rates... which did get me worrying!

Have you RMA'ed yours and got a replacement? How was it with brexit BS? (Has to go to NL right?)

Bought it from OCUK was very easy and quick process at no expense to me few days, been up and running with replacement for few days now so far so good playing with PBO its boosting to 5GHZ and temps are very good

Associate
Bought it from OCUK was very easy and quick process at no expense to me few days, been up and running with replacement for few days now so far so good playing with PBO its boosting to 5GHZ and temps are very good
Ah very nice. So didnt need to deal with AMD / import/export stuff at all.

Mine never boosts past 4.9Ghz, even with PBO. And tbh I am not much into tweaking so have actually gone back to stock for day-to-day. (use to run a -30 curve undervolt, but didnt bother put it back on after the last bios update)

Soldato
Ah very nice. So didnt need to deal with AMD / import/export stuff at all.

Mine never boosts past 4.9Ghz, even with PBO. And tbh I am not much into tweaking so have actually gone back to stock for day-to-day. (use to run a -30 curve undervolt, but didnt bother put it back on after the last bios update)

no all dealth with OCUK think I had it under 30 days , I just set PBO -25 with 50mhz boost during games its mainly 4900-5000mhz been using it for around 4 days havent come across any issues so far temps during gaming are 50c-63c considering weathers warmer really happy with that, it idling around 34-36c with the 360mm rad fans at around 800rpm

Associate
no all dealth with OCUK think I had it under 30 days , I just set PBO -25 with 50mhz boost during games its mainly 4900-5000mhz been using it for around 4 days havent come across any issues so far temps during gaming are 50c-63c considering weathers warmer really happy with that, it idling around 34-36c with the 360mm rad fans at around 800rpm
Holly cow! Those are seriously low temps!!
Mine sits at about 45-50 'idle' (desktop loads, never truly idle...) and can hit up to 81-86 under gaming load. (Bone stock.)
In Cinebench R23, tends to hit 67 MC and 72 SC, so that high-temp during gaming is probably a lot to do with the 350W bar heater right below it! (and the restricted case airflow...)

Soldato
Holly cow! Those are seriously low temps!!
Mine sits at about 45-50 'idle' (desktop loads, never truly idle...) and can hit up to 81-86 under gaming load. (Bone stock.)
In Cinebench R23, tends to hit 67 MC and 72 SC, so that high-temp during gaming is probably a lot to do with the 350W bar heater right below it! (and the restricted case airflow...)

oh yeah I know all about idle background processes running and how it can effect idle temps main culprit was corsairs icue when exiting icue power dropped by 10-15watts plug that measures power used , so ended up getting rid of corsair fans and corsair ram and now use motherboard software to control rgb and program called Fan control to set fan curves

I did re apply thermal paste I did the spread method but didnt feel it was good so re applied just doing the cross method temps seem the same though just me being OCD, Cinebench R20 single and multi runs max out at 63c I do have PBO limits disabled with PBO limits set to motherboard the multi run temp jumps to 83c it gave me higher MC scores but dont feel its worth it, Im happy just hitting above stock numbers

PBO limits set to motherboard , Multi run CPU package power 203watts
PBO Limits disabled Multi run CPU package power 133watts

Yeah that 3090 will be heating up the case so will give higher temps overall , I dont have that issue but hoping can get 3080fe on drop soon :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
oh yeah I know all about idle background processes running and how it can effect idle temps main culprit was corsairs icue when exiting icue power dropped by 10-15watts plug that measures power used , so ended up getting rid of corsair fans and corsair ram and now use motherboard software to control rgb and program called Fan control to set fan curves

I did re apply thermal paste I did the spread method but didnt feel it was good so re applied just doing the cross method temps seem the same though just me being OCD, Cinebench R20 single and multi runs max out at 63c I do have PBO limits disabled with PBO limits set to motherboard the multi run temp jumps to 83c it gave me higher MC scores but dont feel its worth it, Im happy just hitting above stock numbers

Yeah that 3090 will be heating up the case so will give higher temps overall , I dont have that issue but hoping can get 3080fe on drop soon :rolleyes:

Yea when I set PBO and limits to motherboard I got higher scores, but temps hit like 91 max. Didn't seem worth it to me either.
My -30 UV did lower temps ever so slightly I think, but again nothing game changing. And I did have an odd blue-screen crash in GTA V. At the time I had both the card UV'ed and the CPU, so I put CPU to stock at last BIOS update, and kept the card UV'ed. Rule one out. So far no blue screens... could be coincidence as the CPU UV ran fine for over 3 months...

Biggest issue for me is likely the case airflow, so hope to address it soon!!

Soldato
Yea when I set PBO and limits to motherboard I got higher scores, but temps hit like 91 max. Didn't seem worth it to me either.
My -30 UV did lower temps ever so slightly I think, but again nothing game changing. And I did have an odd blue-screen crash in GTA V. At the time I had both the card UV'ed and the CPU, so I put CPU to stock at last BIOS update, and kept the card UV'ed. Rule one out. So far no blue screens... could be coincidence as the CPU UV ran fine for over 3 months...

Biggest issue for me is likely the case airflow, so hope to address it soon!!

yeah cant get ahead of yourself need to test 1 thing at a time and for good while made that mistake many times :D

Back
Top Bottom