• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TTL Rightfully Calling Out Retailers Price Gouging

Soldato
More people in the tech scene need to do what Tom at OC3D is doing, The price gouging that certain retailers are doing is beyond disgusting.

Again please no posts that include competitors - Stelly

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Posted about this earlier, they are prolific scalpers. They don't wanna do anything about botters either, not interested at all.

Shame really as they use to be pretty good and were generally very well priced and was ideal since they weren't far from me for collection.

Soldato
OP
Posted about this earlier, they are prolific scalpers. They don't wanna do anything about botters either, not interested at all.

Shame really as they use to be pretty good and were generally very well priced and was ideal since they weren't far from me for collection.

Sadly it's not just the shop mentioned in the video, It's basically every retailer you can think of, Minus OCUK as I've genuinely not ever seen bad prices.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD and Nvidia don't really care about the prices. AMD is failing to provide us with a shop selling at MRSP and Nvidia is selling the 3080ti rather than using those chips to meet preorder sales for the 3080 at a lower price. If people will buy at these prices and from scalpers then prices will rise.

Soldato
Supply and Demand. Everyone in the chain is making bank mark up because Demand > Supply. If you don't like the prices then don't buy it. If I had a 700 part and realised I could sell every single 700 part at 1200 instantly then I'd sell it at 1200.

The publicly traded corporation that is legally required to serve its Shareholders interests and maximise the money they take from you gives absolutely zero ***** about you. You should reciprocate.

Associate
You do realise you would be buying second hand no warranty cards if retailers stopped price gouging in the current market?
I'd say people (players) have probably given up on getting a card now and this will only get worse. The PC gaming industry will suffer because of it and be reduced to indie titles for budget platforms. It has already happened in PCVR, which is now beyond stagnant due to the lack of high-end cards to even try and win people over.

Man of Honour
Looking at the longer time frame the question is where does this go? game and application developers tend to put the most effort into catering for their biggest audience if these increasing prices push more and more gamers to low end hardware and APUs, etc. the value of putting effort into more advanced graphic features may take a serious backseat over optimising around lower end hardware making it less and less worthwhile having a higher end GPU when there are no ultra graphics features, etc. to enable and there is little value past a certain point in pushing ever higher frame rates.

Man of Honour
One guy alone in a session waiting for others to come in to tell them he has a 3090 and getting tired and leaving lol.

I was just thinking you rarely see technologies like hardware PhysX taking off because developers don't tend to put much effort into that kind of thing when the numbers who can run that kind of thing are a small percentage of their overall market. The current trajectory is increasingly going to kill the value of having more advanced rendering hardware. While some higher end GPUs would still sell to miners, etc. there is little purpose actually making and selling them as gaming GPUs in that kind of scenario. If the bottom did fall out of crypto and/or GPU mining was increasingly less profitable this rush to profit off the situation might in the long run write the demise of this market.

Soldato
I was just thinking you rarely see technologies like hardware PhysX taking off because developers don't tend to put much effort into that kind of thing when the numbers who can run that kind of thing are a small percentage of their overall market. The current trajectory is increasingly going to kill the value of having more advanced rendering hardware. While some higher end GPUs would still sell to miners, etc. there is little purpose actually making and selling them as gaming GPUs in that kind of scenario. If the bottom did fall out of crypto and/or GPU mining was increasingly less profitable this rush to profit off the situation might in the long run write the demise of this market.

Agreed. Often made the point myself to those who worry about their card not being able to run this or that game, that game developers need to include settings for the vast majority out there with less capable cards or they won't capture much of the market. Your point about less incentive to develop new features is a good one too.

They could also kill PC gaming this way. They are looking at those willing to pay the exorbitant prices but not at the 100 parents for every one of those, wanting to buy an affordable PC for their child and choosing to get a console instead.

Permabanned
The entire situation is out of control.

This is really fueled by the fact that graphics cards have long been a badge that gamers wear. I mean everyone brags about what graphics card they have. A shortage, caused by various factors, has made a graphics card even more desirable to the gamer, like owning a rare sports car or something, prompting them to spend way more than they should. I mean if CPU's quadrupled in price would you buy one or wait? You would wait. People do not get hyped up about a CPU but they get hysterical about graphics cards.
So I dunno. As long as people are all hyped up and prepared to pay way over the odds, it is difficult to see where this is going. The bulk of people know this is utterly ridiculous and will not bow down to all this gouging, but long term that has to be damaging gaming. Not that the manufacturers care about the future. NVIDIA will never blame themselves for any downturn in the market. But I think that people have very clearly shown that they are prepared to pay over the top for a graphics card, even if not four times the RRP, and that is going to have a lasting effect on the market. I can't see the 4080 being launched at £600. More like £800 or even £900. In the long term that must damage gaming. Fact is that gamers are actually seeing performance per £ falling, because they are so intent on buying the latest model

Back
Top Bottom