ROG Swift PG32UQX mini LED DisplayHDR™ 1400 4k

Soldato
Nothing has changed in 5 years? Yeah ok. What total nonsense. What do you use for a desktop Pc monitor?

His Sig says he uses an Asus pg348q, One of those high refresh LCDs with adaptive sync that costs thousands of pounds he hates.

I was underwhelmed by this monitor. Working in games development I was looking for a unit that ticks all the boxes. 4k, High refresh rate, Adaptive sync, and usually the missing ingredient "real" HDR with decent color gamut. Creating HDR content for games is a pain having to test on many monitors. But when i can now buy 48" LG OLED TV's for £1k this prices itself out. The premium for me is desk/space-saving for those working from home and this one does lack HDMI 2.1 for current-gen games consoles.

If this were a £1k-£1.5k monitor I would buy 100 of them as it stands i will likely get a few for testing and continue my search, maybe the Aorus but I bet that's the same panel in a different package.

Associate
Nothing has changed in 5 years? Yeah ok. What total nonsense. What do you use for a desktop Pc monitor?

Nothing has changed I stand by that all the different type panels still suffer from the same flaws do they not ????

Please correct me if I'm wrong but we have yellow stain LCD those with clouds poor viewing angles ghosting smearing etc has anything changed in this respect ??

Yes I do own Asus pg348q totally despressing probably one of my worst purchases. Tbh I only use it for desktop applications such as web browsing and audio editing wavelab / reason.

I use my old c7 for gaming and prior to that I used to use my pioneer plasma. Admittedly I could do with a upgrade on my oled but the picture quality is immense and still on t performs any pc LCD on the market today.

Associate
Some more thoughts on the monitor:

Pro's:

1. 4K/32"/144 Hz is the best overall combo right now. Really a sweet spot. Would be silly to buy this monitor and not pair it with anything but a 3090.

2. Good reflection handling. Much preferred over my 48CX OLED.

3. Great SDR brightness.

4. Amazingly bright HDR. Pretty stunning to see it in action.

5. Some of the best color capability I've ever seen.

6. Gsync ultimate chip allows very smooth gameplay with very low input lag.

7. Owing to DSC, monitor can do up to full RGB HDR 12-bit color at 144Hz. Huge improvement over the 27 inch versions.

Neutral:

1. I prefer small bezels but they aren't noticeably bad like on the 27inch versions.

2. Asymmetric stand is kinda silly. I'll be putting it on an articulated arm anyway.

3. Holy large 280watt power brick.

4. Fan noise really isn't that bad.

5. With FALD off, IPS glow and BLB are very minimal. But then HDR Basically maxes out at SDR brightness.

Con's:

1. Holy halo's batman. Way more noticeable than the 27 inch versions. FALD on desktop is unusable. Halo noticeable in game menus. Can notice the halos during gameplay on certain color backgrounds. Crosshair over walls, etc. Basically any light on dark item. Space/dark games are this monitors nemesis. (Turn FALD off.)

2. Slow pixels. Plenty of blur trailing. Not a competitive FPS monitor by any means.

3. Due to the silly decision to have the ASUS logo flash at you constantly, the micro OLED display will probably be turned off by most users. Otherwise having the FPS counter there is super nice.

A firmware update for the poor FALD halo performance and ASUS logo flashing would go a long way!

Due to the heavy limitations of this monitor, it's for a niche buyer. A buyer that demands bright game HDR performance way above all other considerations.

I feel the monitor is more suited for the $2,500 price point. It's such an incredibly mixed bag, I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it and just wait for the 42" OLED. Let's just say the receipt is in a safe place! The HDR performance is something to behold, but you really do pay a price for it in many ways.

Associate
Every panel has flaws VA, IPS, FALD, MiniLED, OLED and CRT etc and i doubt this will ever change

Can I ask what flaws you would say OLED or CRT have like LCD that affect imagine quality only ?

I understand with OLED people will talk about screen burn but primarily this does not affect imagine quality
out of the box.

Associate
This should hasve been the monitor I've been waiting for, but somehow they've managed to add enough flaws to make it completely undesirable.

Can I ask what flaws you would say OLED or CRT have like LCD that affect imagine quality only ?

I understand with OLED people will talk about screen burn but primarily this does not affect imagine quality
out of the box.
As someone who used CRTs when they were dominant, and LCDs since they were only passive matrix, I can list a few image quality flaws that CRTs had:
  1. Not as sharp as LCD
  2. Geometry (straight lines never quite straight over the entire screen, no matter how much you tweak it).
  3. Horrible flickering.
There are of course many more flaws that aren't directly related to image quality, e.g. you can't go anywhere near them with a magnet, they attract dust, and they need two people to move and a reinforced desk if you want one of decent size.

The last CRT I used was a good quality Sony Trinitron, which I used alongside a cheap LCD for quite a while. Despite the disparity in quality, especially since LCDs back then were much worse than they are today, I got rid of the CRT as soon as I could afford to because LCDs are so much better overall.

Permabanned
1) Ok that may be true for text but video etc looked better due to very small round pixels not big blocky LCD one at that time.

2) On the Sony FW900 you had a ton of on screen settings so could get the Geometry bang on, if not you move the magnets inside the case that are stuck around the screen if it has been bumped around over the years,.

3) How can it flicker if its running at least 85hz up to 160HZ (dependant on RES)

Associate
1) Ok that may be true for text but video etc looked better due to very small round pixels not big blocky LCD one at that time.

2) On the Sony FW900 you had a ton of on screen settings so could get the Geometry bang on, if not you move the magnets inside the case that are stuck around the screen if it has been bumped around over the years,.

3) How can it flicker if its running at least 85hz up to 160HZ (dependant on RES)
  1. A matter of preference. I prefer not to add any more blur than is present in the source material.
  2. Take a ruler to it and it won't be exactly right. If you can even get a ruler flat on a screen with compound curvature. And then it needs readjusting every so often.
  3. At 85Hz there's less flicker, but it's still present. Some people don't notice it.

Permabanned
The Sony FW900 is Flat, you are confusing it with the other one that was curved on one axis, my 2 Mitsubishi's are also flat and now today we have curved again.

You will just keep moving the goalposts and FYI no screen is perfect and LCD are far from it in fact a very inferior tech over CRT or Plasma, anyhow this is all off topic.

Soldato
A firmware update for the poor FALD halo performance
Software can't correct deficient hardware.
It would need way more than ten times the number of backlight zones to make halos hard to notice.
And at that point that backlight system is no doubt going to be very complex and expensive.
Heck, this is already now more expensive than OLED TVs.

Associate
Software can't correct deficient hardware.
It would need way more than ten times the number of backlight zones to make halos hard to notice.
And at that point that backlight system is no doubt going to be very complex and expensive.
Heck, this is already now more expensive than OLED TVs.

The FALD algorithm is in firmware and can be adjusted. There are too many zones activating at once. The 27" version that I had, had 1/3rd the zones and IMO superior haloing/FALD performance.

Soldato
The FALD algorithm is in firmware and can be adjusted. There are too many zones activating at once. The 27" version that I had, had 1/3rd the zones and IMO superior haloing/FALD performance.
While buggy operation is possible, there certainly isn't any extra control wiring for later splitting zones to smaller ones.
Besides more zones needs more processing with already current number of zones possibly pushing processing power.

Caporegime

out of the box.

Only really screen burn and they aren't very bright as screens which is fine if you use in a darkened room

Soldato

out of the box.

Depends on the person really. But from experience they suffer from poorer whites, tint, vignetting/reverse vignetting, banding depending on how lucky you are with your set. As well as you tend to get more dead pixels being organic. Lost a fair few on my E8.

For the most part they are far superior to LED though.

Soldato

Pro's:

1. 4K/32"/144 Hz is the best overall combo right now. Really a sweet spot. Would be silly to buy this monitor and not pair it with anything but a 3090.

3. Great SDR brightness.

7. Owing to DSC, monitor can do up to full RGB HDR 12-bit color at 144Hz. Huge improvement over the 27 inch versions.

Neutral:

1. I prefer small bezels but they aren't noticeably bad like on the 27inch versions.

2. Asymmetric stand is kinda silly. I'll be putting it on an articulated arm anyway.

5. With FALD off, IPS glow and BLB are very minimal. But then HDR Basically maxes out at SDR brightness.

Con's:

1. Holy halo's batman. Way more noticeable than the 27 inch versions. FALD on desktop is unusable. Halo noticeable in game menus. Can notice the halos during gameplay on certain color backgrounds. Crosshair over walls, etc. Basically any light on dark item. Space/dark games are this monitors nemesis. (Turn FALD off.)

2. Slow pixels. Plenty of blur trailing. Not a competitive FPS monitor by any means.

3. Due to the silly decision to have the ASUS logo flash at you constantly, the micro OLED display will probably be turned off by most users. Otherwise having the FPS counter there is super nice.

A firmware update for the poor FALD halo performance and ASUS logo flashing would go a long way!

Due to the heavy limitations of this monitor, it's for a niche buyer. A buyer that demands bright game HDR performance way above all other considerations.

I feel the monitor is more suited for the $2,500 price point. It's such an incredibly mixed bag, I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it and just wait for the 42" OLED. Let's just say the receipt is in a safe place! The HDR performance is something to behold, but you really do pay a price for it in many ways.

Good simple write-up @Vega
I trust your views on monitors as I know you've had some brilliant setups over the years (you dived right into Eyefinity etc when it was available IIRC).

Soldato

Pro's:

3. Great SDR brightness.

Neutral:

Con's:

Sounds like this IPS FALD is a huge down grade compared to there VA FALD PG35VQ

Looks like am going be saving a load of money by sticking with my PG35VQ :):):)

Associate
It's really the only choice as I see it as present. I have a C9 in the lounge, and my PG279Q just looks crap by comparison. I don't want bigger than 32" for desktop use, but I do need HDR (that's close to the C9 quality), G-synch and 4K

Associate
It's really the only choice as I see it as present. I have a C9 in the lounge, and my PG279Q just looks crap by comparison. I don't want bigger than 32" for desktop use, but I do need HDR (that's close to the C9 quality), G-synch and 4K

im in exactly the same boat. Also have a c9 in my living room but my Alienware looks crap compared to the c9. This monitor is literally the only choice that brings that close to oled pic quality

Back
Top Bottom