Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Man of Honour
Though 89 seems overall more responsive I'm not liking it even with proton disabled the use of space isn't great - some of my tabs barely show what is on them now title wise. I'd have hung onto the older version a bit longer if it wasn't for stupid DRM requirements needing a newer version.

Sigh getting loads of problems with this version of FF - opening a new tab or window sometimes won't load a site on first attempt after entering the URL nothing happens sometimes it will work on the second attempt other times just repeatedly does nothing and the only way to open a new site is to follow a link on an existing page using open in new tab or new window and then change the URL to where you want to go...

Seen another post about this - if I go to help->more troubleshooting information it will load on that tab and then I can enter a URL and that tab will work - nothing else will load on that tab at all not even about:default or about:config, etc.

Sigh - I don't want to change from Firefox but this is just plain annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Rroff

layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

Have a play about with that setting in about:config , remove the -Minus from the start of number and try a number like 1.1 , 1.25 or 1.3 and it will change the scale of the entire user interface.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Sigh getting loads of problems with this version of FF - opening a new tab or window sometimes won't load a site on first attempt after entering the URL nothing happens sometimes it will work on the second attempt other times just repeatedly does nothing and the only way to open a new site is to follow a link on an existing page using open in new tab or new window and then change the URL to where you want to go...

I'm not having any problems on either of my Macbooks or my desktop with the new version, aside from the frivilous UI update. I'd be devastated if I had to switch from FF too.

Have you tried disabling addons to rule those out?

Capodecina
Soldato
Not overly impressed with the shiny new UI in 89.0, I really can't see why it was changed. I don't use Chrome or Edge so I have no way of knowing whether or not it is some sort of "Oneupmanship" or "MeToo" competition.

More significantly, I get the impression that when I enter a URL it now takes longer for FireFox to bring up the appropriate page . . . I just wonder what it is up to while I wait :confused:

Soldato
Try disabling 'HTTPS Only mode' in the options (about: preferences#privacy).

Also try disabling DNS over HTTPS in network settings. Stop all your extensions from loading too. Perhaps try to disable ipv6 from about: config just in case you have some weird local issue (network.dns.disableIPv6 )

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not having any problems on either of my Macbooks or my desktop with the new version, aside from the frivilous UI update. I'd be devastated if I had to switch from FF too.

Have you tried disabling addons to rule those out?

It isn't add-ons. I've had the same issue but only occasionally on my Windows 8 tablet but it is getting on a bit so put it down to that but then more recently started getting it occasionally on other systems when opening a site in a new window for the first time but usually it worked on a second attempt. But now it seems to be becoming increasingly more frequent and more problematic when it does happen so I'm assuming it is something in 87 onwards. There are 1-2 mentions of it on the FF forums so not just me though doesn't seem common.

It is possible even it is something like a particular web site(s) is knocking something out internally with FF that only affects people who visit those sites. It seems to happen sporadically on all my system from ones I've used in ages through to fresh install with the only common denominator really being the sites I visit.

Soldato
Anyone know how to change the colour of the context (right click) menu? From what I've worked out so far it seems to be getting automatically set depending on the "tab_background_text" in a themes "manifest.json".

It seems you can only have black with white text or visa versa. :(

Soldato
You have something else going there. Either some third party theme has screwed something up or you have some userChrome.css settings going crazy. A bigger shot would help, you can hardly see what you're trying to show.

Just switched through all the built in themes here to test. Works fine.

Soldato
It might just be a Windows 7 issue, and if so, I can't complain.

I removed the profile and started fresh and it's still not working correctly:

dQIV0uE.jpg

The other user made dark themes work, just not the official one.

C64

C64

Soldato
on the recent update how do you have it so tabs are highlighted so i know which tab im on ? it all just stays blank now

this will do my head in and i'll swap to chrome

Last edited:
Soldato
on the recent update how do you have it so tabs are highlighted so i know which tab im on ? it all just stays blank now

this will do my head in and i'll swap to chrome

If your on light theme it's hard to see with many tabs open, your selected tab will have a semi drop shadow around it like this:

7rxfPLZ.png

Soldato
More significantly, I get the impression that when I enter a URL it now takes longer for FireFox to bring up the appropriate page . . . I just wonder what it is up to while I wait :confused:
Noticed this as well (might have happened earlier but far more noticeable on 89 though). Either a small delay or in some cases it just doesn't even want to load the page and needs refreshing.... almost like it's struggling with 'locating the website' (so dns maybe) because when it does load the page it's just as fast as before. The sites being affected are completely random.

I've already disabled https only mode (one of the suggestions) so going to give the dns over https a try... ok that's already disabled too. Mozilla screwed something up then in all likelihood....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I did find that the latest Nvidia drivers 466.63 do not play well with my GT 710 and Firefox 89.

Yesterday within 3hrs of installing the drivers I had 3 DPC watchdog violation BSODs.

I've since reverted to the previous drivers and everything is rosy again with the world.

I sent off bug report to Nvidia via their feedback.

Man of Honour
Yeah 89 doesn't seem to like aero glass in 7 much. Though I just disabled proton for now anyhow.

Noticed this as well (might have happened earlier but far more noticeable on 89 though). Either a small delay or in some cases it just doesn't even want to load the page and needs refreshing.... almost like it's struggling with 'locating the website' (so dns maybe) because when it does load the page it's just as fast as before. The sites being affected are completely random.

Possible DNS related but the behaviour is really weird. Fortunately seems to have calmed down for now just the occasional page not loading the first time but loads the second attempt so the problem is still lurking.

Man of Honour
Try disabling 'HTTPS Only mode' in the options (about: preferences#privacy).

Also try disabling DNS over HTTPS in network settings. Stop all your extensions from loading too. Perhaps try to disable ipv6 from about: config just in case you have some weird local issue (network.dns.disableIPv6 )

HTTPS only mode and DNS over HTTPS I have disabled for compatibility reasons - enabling HTTPS only mode seems to stop it happening but I'm not sure why - I think it is indirectly solving the problem rather than the cause.

Back
Top Bottom