• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Keep 3090 or 3080 Ti?

Associate
Hey folks, brit guy living in the U.S.

I have a Asus TUF 3090 on water which I'm pretty happy with, but I was lucky enough to get a Gigabyte 3080 Ti in a certain e-tailer's shuffle and it's got me thinking which one I should keep.

I'm kinda thinking to keep the 3080 Ti, as it will end up on water and with all the memory chips on one side of the board, I might get slightly better temps. It's also newer, and I'm not sure I'll need more than 12gb vram even though I game at 4k120 (where possible, lol).

Any suggestions?

Associate
I don't know much about the 3080Ti from Gigabyte - but Palit for example, are using the cheaper NCP81611 controllers (4 phase) on their 3080Ti, whereas the 3090 uses the bigger NCP controller. Whether this matters to you depends how much you overclock and whether Gigabyte make similar savings. Generally I find Gigabyte's lineup to be very good and very premium, so I actually think they'll keep pretty much the exact same 3090 layout on the Ti.

Good chance that the practical difference between them in gaming is just going to be chip lottery and probably not very noticeable, so maybe you should just do whatever is better for you financially (and then spend that money on some other part of the system/cooling).

Soldato
If money's not the issue seems a no brainer to keep the 3090 to me. And if you get into VR and its insane high resolutions like I have recently, you'll soon find the extra VRam of the 3090 will actually start to come into use.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments, I do want to get into VR so maybe I'll keep the 3090. Not looking to make any money here, 3080 Ti will go to a friend for what I paid for it :)

Soldato
Keep 3090 and find a good home for the 3080Ti (gamer not a miner or scalper, maybe family member needing a card or a friend ?). Also you already have it water cooled and happy with it, why risk maybe selling a good working card and end up with a broken one by accident when water cooling it too.

Associate
Id only consider a move like that to a better card. From what I have seen, the Gigabyte cards are not better than ASUS cards.

Unless your ASUS coil-whines like crazy, or does something else you dont like.... keep it.

Im considering the same move, but only if I can get an AIB board that whines less/less overall noise, so fan needs to be quiet. Otherwise no point in the move.
But that does not seem an issue for you, given you are watercooling anyway.

How are your vram temps anyway? I cant imagine they are that bad considering the TuF boards are decent even stock, without a waterblock to help improve them.

Associate
OP
He's in America so the situation might be a bit different there.

It's not like any of us (in the UK) would have been able to buy either of those cards.

No anger here anyway.

Situation is pretty much the same here. Microcenter and Best Buy do have cards in every now and then but you have to beat the queues. I check the UK e-tailers as I can easily have it shipped to my UK address and then sent over here, but I've never seen anything in stock there either.

I actually bought my 3090 from a scalper for $2200 in November last year. Wanted to play Cyberpunk over the xmas break :) Seems crazy that I can sell it for a profit now.

Soldato
I have a Asus TUF 3090 on water which I'm pretty happy with, but I was lucky enough to get a Gigabyte 3080 Ti in a certain e-tailer's shuffle and it's got me thinking which one I should keep.

I have a Maxwell Titan X. It's a 980 Ti with 12 GB VRAM (vs 6 GB). And because it has that extra VRAM it is still a useful GPU today. Apply the same logic to your 3090 vs 3080 Ti and you'll see that the 3090 should have greater longevity.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I don't personally see the point in the 3080ti.

Makes no sense in the current lineup imo.

Such an obvious money grab, shameful.
it makes sense to me...almost identical performance to the 3090 in everything but really high res and lower cost. So if Nvidia wanted to slowly kill the 3090 (a rumour I heard because it impacts their quadro sales too much) then it's an ideal solution.

Is it necessary? that's a different question.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

it makes sense to me...almost identical performance to the 3090 in everything but really high res and lower cost. So if Nvidia wanted to slowly kill the 3090 (a rumour I heard because it impacts their quadro sales too much) then it's an ideal solution.

Is it necessary? that's a different question.

Well, that is predicated on if the 3090 (and the 6900XT) are good buys - they aren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Surely people buy what they can afford? You clearly can afford the 3090 so you bought it. Question answered.

If you feel that your salary is too low to justify the 3090 then that's up to you.

I don't understand why you're asking?

Associate
OP
My salary definitely isn't too low ;) I could if i was a **** sell either or both of them at a profit. I'm asking because I'm in the lucky position to have both cards, I want to know what people think is the better card. I see from benchmarks there's not much between them perf wise, so I want to know what's better from longevity and resale perspectives.

Soldato
3090 surely if you already have both. Ekwb do active backplates for WCing as do other brands if backside memory temps are an issue.

3080Ti for £350ish less which is slightly slower and has half the vram isn’t really the bargain of the century. In this regard 3090 should last longer having double the vram, so would likely hold its value more also.

The cost you have put into a WB for the 3090 you likely wouldn’t get back “fully”. So cost wise between the two the difference is minor for having double the vram. Unless of course you paid scalp prices.

Back
Top Bottom