• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Keep 3090 or 3080 Ti?

Associate
it makes sense to me...almost identical performance to the 3090 in everything but really high res and lower cost. So if Nvidia wanted to slowly kill the 3090 (a rumour I heard because it impacts their quadro sales too much) then it's an ideal solution.

Is it necessary? that's a different question.

I understand what you mean, I suppose for me the delta between the 3080 and 3090 is slim in of itself when taking into account the price difference.

Maybe it's just the nature of things now.

Associate
Hey folks, brit guy living in the U.S.

I have a Asus TUF 3090 on water which I'm pretty happy with, but I was lucky enough to get a Gigabyte 3080 Ti in a certain e-tailer's shuffle and it's got me thinking which one I should keep.

I'm kinda thinking to keep the 3080 Ti, as it will end up on water and with all the memory chips on one side of the board, I might get slightly better temps. It's also newer, and I'm not sure I'll need more than 12gb vram even though I game at 4k120 (where possible, lol).

Any suggestions?

The 3090 will hold it's value at resale time due to not being a LHR card, so stay with that.

Give the 3080 ti away to a deserving loved one.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments, I think I'm sold on keeping the 3090. Forgot about the active backplate solution for the 3090 so will definitely look into that :)

Caporegime
Happy to hear you managed to upgrade from your lowly 3090. What a guy.

Salt Bae hath arrived in the thread!

image.png

Associate
Thanks for the comments, I think I'm sold on keeping the 3090. Forgot about the active backplate solution for the 3090 so will definitely look into that :)

If you're thinking about VR or dabbling in content creation then 3090 all the way. I do both and can exceed 12gb vram. If you've allready water cooled the 3090 then the warranty is dubious. Pass the 3080ti on for whatever you can make out of it.

Soldato
I'd keep the 3080ti

why?

1. it's new and may be fun to overclock
2. It's easier to cool with less tdp and memory on front only
3. It's cheaper and 12gb is enough for 4k and should be for a couple more years at least
4. It sucks for eth mining

I'd sell the 3090 because you're going to get good money for it because it's great for mining, keep the 3080ti which has 96% of the performance and the extra money you get to keep you can put towards the next gpu

Associate
So if Nvidia wanted to slowly kill the 3090 (a rumour I heard because it impacts their quadro sales too much) then it's an ideal solution.

I don't know how segmented they want their market to be but as a gamer and hobby level content creator the 3090 was a good fit and worth the cost. I don't need and wouldn't pay for an equivalent speed quadro card. If titan class cards go away then I'll work around whatever the top gaming card is.

Soldato
I'm asking because I'm in the lucky position to have both cards, I want to know what people think is the better card. I see from benchmarks there's not much between them perf wise, so I want to know what's better from longevity and resale perspectives.
I would have thought the 3090 was the best out of them 2 cards

Permabanned
well the 3080Ti seems to be going for more than the 3090 on the bay at the moment...The 3080Ti is a little bit faster sometimes and who actually needs the 24GB of memory anyway?
I've been priced out of the market either way. Let's hope Intels card is decent when and if it comes out.

Associate
If you're a gamer, sell the 3090. They're basically identical and you can get 3K for the 3090.
By the time games use more memory, the 3090 will be a weak card anyway.

Permabanned
Is this just a flex? The 3090 is the faster card, even if its 1% its still faster and has more Vram. You already have it water blocked up so unless you cannot afford the 3090 you should keep it and give someone a chance to buy the 3080ti.

I'm guessing that's not the answer you wanted though but you had the fastest card already fitted with a water block so why even shop for another?

Associate
OP
its not a flex. I've seen some benchmarks where the Ti beats the 3090, even if it's only by a fraction. Given some of the other comments, its pretty mixed as to what the better card is. As to why I shopped for another card at the time I thought the Ti was the route I wanted to go down, and I guess I never really thought I'd have the chance to buy one but here we are. Plus, I was pretty sure I could just swap the water block over to the Ti if needed.

Back
Top Bottom