• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I've been lurking here the past 8 months, decided to give up my place in my queue for Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and brought a pre-built with the same card in because I simply can't deal with the waiting any longer lol. Went from Position 394 on 6th November to Position 72 as of 2 weeks ago. Hope everything picks up again soon, you're all stronger men than me!
Well, enjoy the pre built, is it a 3080 pre built at least?

Associate
Oh no I’m not saying it’s bad to have time off I’m just checking I haven’t fallen off of my waitlist! No problem at all if whoever sends them out is off, just checking I wasn’t supposed to have received an update when I didn’t.
Holiday and work life balance is important, friends :)

It's not bad to have time off. We all need it, and of course we make sure that our tasks are handled by another colleague meanwhile, so customers aren't affected. I'm sure ocuk does the same.

Associate
That's the one. I think it looks pretty good personally and so far been impressed with it. The size is great for work too, especially massive spreadsheets, and I like to wind folk up by sharing in the full ultrawide in Teams.;)
I have an ASUS ROG STRIX XG27UQ 4K 144hz 27” it’s really nice. I was thinking of getting a 1440p 240hz but I already bought this monitor before I was even thinking about going to get a PC with the 3080. The jump from 1440p to 4K is definitely noticeable and it looks amazing. Not sure about 144hz to 240hz as I have never had a 240hz monitor before.

Associate
Yeah got the exact same card in a pre-build from OCUK. Went with a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC, Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB RAM, etc. Only downside is the horrible looking case but I'm planning to rip it out and stick it into my current Lian Li O11 case.
Hi, how long from the point of ordering did it take to get your build, sounds like a nice system, especially when grafted to the Lian Li, just interested to know. cheers. :p

Associate
Hi, how long from the point of ordering did it take to get your build, sounds like a nice system, especially when grafted to the Lian Li, just interested to know. cheers. :p
Haven't got the build just yet. I ordered it on Friday just gone and it says it can take 7-10 days to be built and shipped but I'm thinking it surely can't take that long. So hopefully I get it next week

Associate
Haven't got the build just yet. I ordered it on Friday just gone and it says it can take 7-10 days to be built and shipped but I'm thinking it surely can't take that long. So hopefully I get it next week
thanks for reply, best of luck on a quick delivery and have fun when it does come, seems to be the only way to get a gfx card these days! :p

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
we make sure that our tasks are handled by another colleague meanwhile, so customers aren't affected. I'm sure ocuk does the same.
generally that's the case, yes, which is why it's rare that Gibbo and I are both off at the same time.
Unfortunately, the queue updates are a whole different animal. Since, it's not a typical feature which we need, it's not part of our usual software suite. The process for generating and sending them was cobbled together by one of our IT guys and requires access to a couple of systems which most staff don't have.
Sending out an email to everyone in a queue is easy but for every email to have accurate personalised information is much less so.

Associate
I keep reading about the memory thermal problems, how easy is the pad replacement? Also where did you get your ifixit tool set from? Ordering the rest of my new PC today, very excited.

Not too bad, I took it slowly and it was a couple of hours last night, and mem temps are >10C lower at a higher load than originally tested. Peaking at 90C at the moment, was hitting 100C easy yesterday morning.

I got the iFixit Mako (from rainforest) set which has everything but the spudger in it so you'll need a thin plastic object (toothpick or something?) to pry off the X piece. I actually used some gaffer tape to pull it over, then lever up with tweezers. Tape is useful later to secure the cables too.
The hardest part was some $%@ at the factory had mixed up the tiny screw head covers and one was totally jammed in as the wrong shape. Had to use a scalpel blade to slowly lever that out, some very fine scratching on the edge but can't be seen at arms length. Alcohol & better thermal paste are the only other items to get.

I got the same pads as in the guide, but if you can find higher conductivity ones, you might see bigger temp drops. I suspect much further will require active cooling of the upper surface of the GPU as that's just passive cooling of the backplate.

One thing I think the video skipped was the ribbon cable connectors have a flip up fastner (the black bit on the mounting). Says it when putting back together but maybe I missed that in the teardown part. And the rubber grommets will fall out somewhere, so put to one side immediately. :rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/mmzri2/3090_fe_thermal_pad_mod_cutting_template/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3260LR2JzQ

Use a knife to cut the pads, scalpel is best.

Associate
Guys don’t forget how much you are being told there is no stock incoming I get the queue update is nice but it’s also annoying to never see it move so with a couple of weeks without a queue update it has a better chance of going down, I was a MSI gaming X pre-order so I get it but all of you still waiting for a card are in a lot better position than me and the hundreds that got cancelled from just OCUK (blaming MSI not OCUK) let alone all the other stores across the world so with this I have almost 0 chance of getting a card as I work full time and the discord I’m in has been barely popping up with cards and when it does they are gone in seconds. Just think how lucky you all are to even be in a queue and keep thanking the OC staff for all the pain and suffering they are going through to try and get cards along with dealing with all of us moaning (inc myself) I hope once the dust settles years from now they can finally rest and get some time away from work without dreading walking back into this **** show

Associate
I'm out of here.
But I'm leaving by a route that I would never have predicted back in October last year.

oCml8O.jpg

Associate
Upgraded from a 1440p high refresh monitor to 4K high refresh and ms flight sim is the only game that can tank the FPS to borderline unplayable at ultra settings
Is it 4K 144hz? What’s the model? On mine I can play some guys at 4K 144FpS with max settings however it is inconsistent. Some games like apex legends where the FPS drops I change to 1440p and get a constant/stable 144fps. Other games like Fortnite and Warzone I use DLSS 4K so I get around 144-180fps which is pretty good

Back
Top Bottom