The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Caporegime
14g of yeast, that is a lot. All my recipes are less than a gram.
Yea I tried doubling the yeast in a normal recipe and was like nope...
I don't think it's really 14g?
most bread recipes say 1tsp active yeast or a sachet, I think those sachets are 7g slow acting yeast more akin to using fresh yeast? so I'ma assume op uses fresh yeast?

I usually let my dough sit in the fridge 3-4 days anyway so it has time to get some flavour

Permabanned
Is also a Kilo of flour in the recipe. It rose a lot, also rose a lot after I shaped it, will probably half the yeast next time though they turned out really well. Using the Caputo instant yeast, though I expect its no different to any yeast.

Caporegime
Would probably try fresh but shelf life is a bit short. :)
I don't see it often either.

You used to be able to ask at the bread counter in supermarkets and they would give it you for free.

IDK if they still do that but doesn't help to ask if you just wanna try it one time and compare to instant active yeast

Soldato
I didn't set the temperature correctly on the Ooni dough calculator yesterday...oops. Ended up with a gooey, stringy yeasty mess that went straight in the bin. Gutted as I'd been looking forward to a pizza all day!

Lesson learned...

Associate
What's a fair going rate for these nowadays? I never bought one for years due to no garden but now I have a garden everything nice has Covid tax. Is 299 from lakeland for the gas fired unit fair or taking the wee?

Associate
Cheers. What about real user experience? Anything else I should know that might not be immediately obvious?

All I know is to avoid the pellet ones and go for gas, but the gas regulators seem to be hard to get hold of. Does anyone have any love for the pellets a set all or should I just get gas only?

Pet Northerner
Don
Cheers. What about real user experience? Anything else I should know that might not be immediately obvious?

All I know is to avoid the pellet ones and go for gas, but the gas regulators seem to be hard to get hold of. Does anyone have any love for the pellets a set all or should I just get gas only?

I'm in a similar situation to you (moving shortly to a house with an actual garden!) and will be picking up the koda 16 - I want all gas. It'll be much easier in the long run and easier to control.

Soldato

I got the Koda 16 as all the opinions in the Ooni groups on Reddit/Facebook lean towards gas being easier. You'll be cooking pizza for about 2 minutes, that's not enough time to get a smokey flavour so other than pellets being marginally cheaper there's no real benefit. It's difficult to get hold of large 10-15kg gas canisters at the moment, but there are places online that have them or check facebook marketplace/gumtree for people selling empty canisters. Once you have one, getting it filled is easy enough.

Also, if you are going for the Koda and can stretch to it, it's probably worth getting the 16 over the 12. Not because you can cook bigger pizzas, but because you have more room inside the oven to play with.

Permabanned

My thoughts so far. :p

Ended up with a Koda 16 from Selfridges after the 12 from the official site took weeks and still didn't ship.

Couldn't get a large gas canister locally, only have a 5kg at the moment, reckon after 2 cooking sessions so far its about half used.

Stuff I bought.....(All from Amazon)
12 KG 00 Pizza flour
6 KG Semolina flour
Caputo instant dried yeast
Pizza peel 12 x 14", about the right size for a decent sized pizza, could go larger with the Kona 16 but the bigger they are they get a bit unwieldy, also with a smaller pizza you can move it around nicely in the 16.

Heat it up nice and hot on full power, then turn it down to cook, repeat for each pizza.
Keep an eagle eye on the pizza, they cook fast and regular turning/movement gives better coverage and less burnt bits.
Get a nice big work surface and all your stuff ready so you can conveyor belt the pizzas out.

Think I will get a dough box for keeping the dough balls in at some point, dont have anything quite right for storage.

Associate
Thanks folks, yeah the gas thing seems to be a nightmare at the moment in general, just add it to the list of supply chain problems I guess. I'm more minded to the koda 16 now, but then again, that's the kind of money I could get a weber grill for with all the extras including a baking stone....

Soldato
Thanks folks, yeah the gas thing seems to be a nightmare at the moment in general, just add it to the list of supply chain problems I guess. I'm more minded to the koda 16 now, but then again, that's the kind of money I could get a weber grill for with all the extras including a baking stone....

I got the 12 as I balked at the price on the 16. The 12 is already bordering on a ripoff, quite frankly, but the 16 definitely steps over the line. It's just a metal box with a stone slab and a gas burner.

The 16 does have the added advantage of burners along two sides, so you only need to turn once. But tbh the size of the 12 is fine, it's no problem turning 3 times to get a good even cook, and it fits nicely on a shelf under the stairs, which the 16 wouldn't.

I got my gas from Homebase, didn't have any problems, but it was a couple of months ago before the summer rush I suppose.

Soldato

Our Karu is a non-gas variant and we use pellets, hardwood briquettes and/or lumpwood charcoal. It took me a few attempts but our last round of pizzas was great. I always have an IR thermometer handy to check the temps just in case.

Even if the wood fuel units are the tiniest bit trickier to make, I wouldn't say avoid them.

I'm the same with barbecues though, I'd prefer charcoal over gas. I like the flavour by cooking with charcoal on the barbecue. The same goes for pellets/briquettes and lumpwood charcoal in the pizza oven.

Soldato
mmmh - have you done any temperature checks with non-gas ( which I understand you can convert the karu too, anyway ) ?

from the earlier posts and other forums wood doesn't seem to give as sustainable temperature, as gas, dropping beneath 400C, which would be a nice temp to have for neapolitan;
albeit, many of mine are a medium thickness crust with excess topping that might not cook through at >400C,
so - basically I would want gas primarily with a wood option.

Associate
Regarding wood vs gas, I have a Karu and bought the extra gas burner attachment a few months back. Last few times I've used it I've just been using the gas as it is a bit less faffing around, but it is nice to have the option of wood and means if I want to take it somewhere I don't have to lug a massive gas bottle with me. The gas is useful particularly in the winter as I've been using it in the garage and means I don't have to stand outside in the rain etc.

Soldato
We’ve been “volunteered” to cater a party on the weekend. Looking at making around 10 pizzas in the Ooni. I’m keen to shortcut things as much as possible beforehand given I can see this taking at least 90 mins. Has anyone got any pre prepping tips?

Can't type for toffee
Don
90mins for 10 pizzas? Whey nar

Make yer dough a few days before hand and let it rest.
Have eveyrthign out and ready, room temp on the day

from taking a dough ball, strethcing n topping it and howking it in the unni yer looking at a few mins per pizza.

Back
Top Bottom