WBAC Values

Soldato
Hoping someone can help.
Girlfriend has her Audi A3 Sline 1.0 2018 on PCP, took it over 4 years.
2.5 years in and had a settlement figure of around £14000. WBAC 16,700, Motorway £17,073.

Is it as straight forward as selling her car at settlement figure value and trading it in a WBAC or Motorway and gain a profit of around £3k.

She is impulsive and wants a new car but my view without looking into it is surely new car prices have risen and then also likely longer for delivery?

Any thoughts or advice?
It's that simple, yes. For me (I used Motorway), the dealer paid me, then I paid the finance off whilst he was sat next to me.

You're right, though - you're not really benefitting from this increase in used car values if you just jump into another car. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

Caporegime
Yes it is as straightforward as that. problem is getting your replacement car. New cars for a lot of manufacturers are Christmas deliveries and anything used has a £3k+ premium on already so will wipe out your gains.

Soldato
I bought my M2comp end of 2020 for around £37.5k, kept watching WBAC values as I wasn't enamoured with the car, ended up rising from about £34k up toward £37.5k into May, prompted me to stick it up for sale and a dealer ended up coming to pay £39k. Not bad clearing a few grand after having covered 3k miles!
Decided to just buy an old r56 cooper s for now as I only seem to drive for local trips at the moment. I've found the mini more entertaining than the M2 ever was.

Associate
Thanks for quick response, exactly what i was thinking.
Will take a look and see if theres any offers or stock available but im guessing not otherwise everyone would be upgrading to newer models which I understand is what has increased the price to start with!

Bonus is she doesn't have any specific car in mind so may be flexible and open the door for any offers.
Any good places to browse?

Soldato
I bought my M2comp end of 2020 for around £37.5k, kept watching WBAC values as I wasn't enamoured with the car, ended up rising from about £34k up toward £37.5k into May, prompted me to stick it up for sale and a dealer ended up coming to pay £39k. Not bad clearing a few grand after having covered 3k miles!
Decided to just buy an old r56 cooper s for now as I only seem to drive for local trips at the moment. I've found the mini more entertaining than the M2 ever was.

What didn’t you like about the M2Comp?

I’m downsizing and I’ve got a new car on order, but I had been heavily leaning towards the M2Comp. It seemed to fit my requirements - smaller but with rear seats for nursery runs, good performance and handling etc. The only thing I hadn’t worked out was the fun factor aspect.

If it wasn’t for the nursery runs I would have gone back to something with 2 seats. Sadly this is my life atm so the fun factor needs to be fairly high on my list.

Soldato
I just find new cars to be far too remote/contrived/too competent. No doubt it would be a fun car on track, but on the roads, it only seems to come alive when you start doing very silly things. Tyres, power and grip are all just too high to really get any enjoyment from as a road car imo.

Soldato
Not even that fun on track really. Just a normal road car but going quicker. Plus the running costs of doing that in something really powerful is crazy, there is a reason most people take something cheap or lightweight.

Soldato
I did it again today, £20340 now.

I checked the texts from WBAC.

2nd March 2021 - £16300
7th June 2021 - £20340.

Seems crazy. I wonder how higher it will go.

Man of Honour
Wow, 25% gain in 3 months, that's incredible. Our car has flatlined at best (although to be fair I don't have an exact comparison from a few months ago), I guess it's newer / rarer vehicles that are seeing the decent gains.

Soldato
I did it again today, £20340 now.

I checked the texts from WBAC.

2nd March 2021 - £16300
7th June 2021 - £20340.

Seems crazy. I wonder how higher it will go.
You just prompted me to check mine. I paid £32,990 for my car, delivery mileage last August. Evans Halshaw are now saying I can get (up to) £33,165! Crazy! WBAC tend to be lower.

Soldato
Wow, 25% gain in 3 months, that's incredible. Our car has flatlined at best (although to be fair I don't have an exact comparison from a few months ago), I guess it's newer / rarer vehicles that are seeing the decent gains.

67 plate TT black edition not even a TTS. Not exactly rare :p

Caporegime
Been watching values on my 440i since I bought it, right now sitting at £23,900 (£19,000 in March) which is almost what I paid for it 9 months and 5,000 miles ago.

Heck even the Wife's Passat has clawed back the difference and is worth £600~ less than we paid for it.

The problem is that anything I'd replace my car with has also gone up similarly, meaning cost to change is the same as it ever was.

Soldato
The problem is that anything I'd replace my car with has also gone up similarly, meaning cost to change is the same as it ever was.

True, unless you can get something new that's already in stock. Some of the deals i've seen on new stuff whilst looking hasn't been too bad. A brand new CX-5 was only about a grand cheaper than a 19 plate i'd seen.

Some decent lease deals around too, given the high residual values currently about. Although that's on more run of the mill stuff i've seen. One was a Seat Arona FR for £6500 over 4 years which seemed like good cheap motoring if you're happy with the car (my wife wasn't).

Gangster
Associate
I’m going to sell my pre facelift C63. WBAC are offering £4.5k more than I paid in February. I’m going to wait for things to settle down and buy a 2019/2020 facelift C63.

Appointment booked for this afternoon. I’ll post back with an update after I have sold it.

Caporegime
I’m going to sell my pre facelift C63. WBAC are offering £4.5k more than I paid in February. I’m going to wait for things to settle down and buy a 2019/2020 facelift C63.

Appointment booked for this afternoon. I’ll post back with an update after I have sold it.

Thats a mad increase!

Soldato

It is a great plan if you have another car for now. Prices on used cars should never go up like this and this is pretty mad! I imagine if WBAC are offering £4.5k more then it’ll retail for 7-8k more than you paid? Crazy times

Back
Top Bottom