Time to upgrade?

Associate
So my birthday coming up and I the fabled question. Of what doubt for my birthday. My mind got think would I like a new PC.

Granted a new one won't have GPU as my current one is good.

It more of a CPU and motherboard. As currently, I have an i7 6700k 4.2gh with 16 Gb ram and 2060 RTX GPU.

It five years old and want to get some thoughts on matter. As it was a prebuilt and I made a few upgrades like the fans the GPU and PSU.

Associate
OP
How do find my speed of my ram and I thought of keeping it intel i7 like an the 9k ball park. I have thought about the ssd as my os is on an ssd. Yet can one use a file coping program to copy games over?
What speed ram do you have and motherboard ?

The 6700k is still not a bad cpu but moving to a 6 core cpu mite be a beneficial upgrade.

Do you have your games on a ssd?

Man of Honour
How do find my speed of my ram and I thought of keeping it intel i7 like an the 9k ball park. I have thought about the ssd as my os is on an ssd. Yet can one use a file coping program to copy games over?
Not sure what you mean 9k ball park.

There are ways to copy game file folders a google will show you how.

Download this and run it.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Soldato
When they mention "9k ball park" I believe they mean they want to spend around £9000.

Correct me if If wrong but that's the way I've understood "ball park" as a figure.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy surrounding CCleaner? Or is it decent now?

Associate
OP
When they mention "9k ballpark" I believe they mean they want to spend around £9000.

Correct me if I wrong but that's the way I've understood "ballpark" as a figure.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy surrounding CCleaner? Or is it decent now?

I mean I look at the i9 chipset. Sorry for using the wrong vernacular.

C cleaner I hear still it iffy but that what know.

Associate
OP
20210608_160453.JPG

I hope this give better info

Soldato
An upgrade to an 11400F CPU + B560 m/b + 16 GB DDR4-3600 would give you a significant boost in games and cost around £350, but we're at the end of the DDR4 era. It's all change later this year / early next year, so you're better off leaving a complete upgrade until then. Hopefully the GPU shortages will be oer by then too.

Man of Honour
20210608_160453.JPG

I hope this give better info
Tells me you have ddr4 2666mhz memory which you can reuse or get 3600mhz but i would reuse.

11409f 6 core cpu Matx motherboard with Wi-Fi and a 1tb m2 ssd.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £400.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
An upgrade to an 11400F CPU + B560 m/b + 16 GB DDR4-3600 would give you a significant boost in games and cost around £350, but we're at the end of the DDR4 era. It's all change later this year / early next year, so you're better off leaving a complete upgrade until then. Hopefully the GPU shortages will be oer by then too.

I look into that. Thanks

Need an SSD for sure.

Which monitor do you have?

Monitor wise AOC 24 inch 144hz 1ms response

Soldato
Monitor wise AOC 24 inch 144hz 1ms response

If you tend to play games that benefit from high fps, keep it. If you don't care so much about that and would prefer nicer images then a 27" 1440p IPS would be a nice upgrade.

I have thought about the ssd as my os is on an ssd.

An SSD cannot be seen in that HWiNFO pic. Would you happen to know which SSD it is? If you go to Device Manager > Disk drives, it might be listed there.

Ideally you'd wait for the new DDR5 platforms to arrive before upgrading CPU/mobo/memory. So before buying that, look into anything else you might need and carry through well into the future.

Associate
OP
If you tend to play games that benefit from high fps, keep it. If you don't care so much about that and would prefer nicer images then a 27" 1440p IPS would be a nice upgrade.

An SSD cannot be seen in that HWiNFO pic. Would you happen to know which SSD it is? If you go to Device Manager > Disk drives, it might be listed there.

Ideally you'd wait for the new DDR5 platforms to arrive before upgrading CPU/mobo/memory. So before buying that, look into anything else you might need and carry through well into the future.

With ddr5 I have heard that coming out this later this year ye has you said motherboards ha e yet to catch up.

As for the ssd it a 870 evo by Samsung 1tb that has my os. If did get a another ssd it would by another brand so not confuse the two.

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
Yeah, I's say the 2060 is totally fine for now. You'll get plenty of more years out of it.

As for the CPU, I had a 6700k for my first build, it stopped working and I got myself an i5 9600k. Its defo the best CPU around for the money. Its about 15% faster and Ive never needed to overclock yet for 2K 144hz gaming.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I's say the 2060 is totally fine for now. You'll get plenty of more years out of it.

As for the CPU, I had a 6700k for my first build, it stopped working and I got myself an i5 9600k. Its defo the best CPU around for the money. Its about 15% faster and Ive never needed to overclock yet for 2K 144hz gaming.

When did it stop working for you? so I get a bearing on when to upgrade as it where?

Associate
Go with an AM4 board and Ryzen CPU, something like the 3600 if you want to save money.

As for the GPU, I'd be pretty happy with your 2060 as others have said, if we weren't in the current GPU market I'd say upgrading to a 3060 Ti / 3070 would be the choice.

I'd wait until you get lucky or can pick one up at near MSRP! chill with that 2060.

Back
Top Bottom