• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti to be "available" on June 3rd, RTX 3070Ti on June 10th

Associate
I know some places allowed people to sign up via email for a pass to buy one, its gives you 24 hours to buy one, you have to have an account and give you name and it will randomly select someone each day to be able to buy one. I don't know if that one is bot bait, I just know a number of people I know got PS5s using that

Associate
Not sure the point you're trying to make now as you seem to have backtracked.

My initial thought was that it wasn't a good idea on so many levels. Emailing a copy of a driving license to a company that could be receiving hundreds or even thousands but isn't geared up to deal with the accessing and storage of that information.

I'm not trying to make any point really. I simply stated that name, address and email address is just as much personal data and therefore covered by "Data Protection" as a driving license is so processing a driving license would not necessarily introduce any additional requirements under "Data Protection". I am not saying OCUK should do that as clearly it is not a practical process for an online store just an observation on something that was said. We can move on its a moot point anyway.

Associate
How about a game of russian roulette? We'll have 1v1's til the last man is standing and he gets a free 3080 :D :p
I think they ruled out the raffle ticket / names out of a hat approach due to the difficulties skirting lottery laws.

No, No, you're thinking too small.

What we need is a downhill cheese rolling/chasing competition, get a cheese, put a GPU inside. Everyone puts in the price of the card, whoever has the cheese at the bottom of the hill gets the GPU (entry fee covers it). Everyone else gets entered into the next competition. A representative from the AIB who supplied the card can judge the event.

Fool proof.

Can we please stop with the suggestions.

As a side note, please don't take me seriously.

Last edited:
Associate
Hahahaha...How about they invite all forum members who've been registered before the release of the 3080s to enter their details for a draw through random selection.

Once youre name has been submitted, it can't be submitted again for a second shot.
As people get picked, they are removed from the pool and the probability of selection increases over time.

That way you remove the bots, it's down to RNG, you can't play more than once and everyone gets a shot. Fair play and there shouldn't be a lot of overhead if it's planned properly.

Email follows, you've been selected to purchase a GPU from this list of hardware. Use the voucher code in your basket and pay.

Job done and we all win. YAY!
A guy can dream can't he....

Associate
Hahahaha...How about they invite all forum members who've been registered before the release of the 3080s to enter their details for a draw through random selection.

Once youre name has been submitted, it can't be submitted again for a second shot.
As people get picked, they are removed from the pool and the probability of selection increases over time.

That way you remove the bots, it's down to RNG, you can't play more than once and everyone gets a shot. Fair play and there shouldn't be a lot of overhead if it's planned properly.

Email follows, you've been selected to purchase a GPU from this list of hardware. Use the voucher code in your basket and pay.

Job done and we all win. YAY!
A guy can dream can't he....
Lots of similar suggestions already made in this thread, mods have stated they don't want any more suggestions so just leave them to it.

Associate
Based on the traffic data that we have from the 3080Ti launch, if we put 100 cards online 96 will be bought by bots...you think that's acceptable?

If we were to take orders over the phone, considering that we have ten phone staff, we'd bring the phone system to its knees and generate even more complaints from customers left on hold for ages, potentially to then be told that we've sold out? Sorry we're not opening our staff up to that abuse again.

We've thought through pretty much any suggestion that you can come up with and we don't reject them off hand.

Mobile verification, where customer has to reply to text, and answer call after.

Another option could be that buyers send their computers in, and you guys install, and keep the packaging (with customers covering the cost). So it's offered as more of an upgrade.

Associate
Mobile verification, where customer has to reply to text, and answer call after.

Another option could be that buyers send their computers in, and you guys install, and keep the packaging (with customers covering the cost). So it's offered as more of an upgrade.
Who in their right mind would send their delicate multiple £1000 PC somewhere in the post! Not me!

Associate
Courier, Baby!

I've never had an issue.
Sod that!!!! A family member of mine used to make beapoke stained glass windows to order, one had to go by courier so we framed it securely in wood and spoke to the courier on the phone first about how they wanted it packaged, we followed their instructions to the letter and what happened? It arrived smashed to bits with bicycle tyre marks and boot prints all over it. That was countless hours of labor and materials wasted.

Associate
Sod that!!!! A family member of mine used to make beapoke stained glass windows to order, one had to go by courier so we framed it securely in wood and spoke to the courier on the phone first about how they wanted it packaged, we followed their instructions to the letter and what happened? It arrived smashed to bits with bicycle tyre marks and boot prints all over it. That was countless hours of labor and materials wasted.

Sounds like a right pane in the glass. Badum tssss.

Back
Top Bottom