Graphics Card for 49" Samsung CRG9 Monitor

Associate
Hi folks,

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hardware so just looking for some advice.

My employer recently gave me a free Samsung 49" monitor: CRG9 - LC49RG90SSRXXU 5120x1440 120Hz.

Right now I have an old AMD R9 280 and the max resolution I can get is on Windows is 3840x1080. I think this is due to the limitations of the older card.

So I'm looking for a new card which can run this monitor at the 5120x1440 resolution. In terms of work it's mostly for programming so not things like video editing or anything like that.

In terms of gaming I do play games but I'm not looking for absolute top end. Just something that looks decent - mostly strategy games, maybe something like The Witcher 3 on a rare occasion.

The monitor was free so it's not like I went out and bought it for gaming, so I wouldn't mind, for example, reducing the virtual size of the monitor to play games or reducing the refresh rate from 120hz (not sure if that's even possible..).

I was looking at the 3060 TI at ~£420. Would that card be the type of thing I'm looking for or can anyone recommend anything else?

CPU: Intel i7-4770 (3.4GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi folks,

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to hardware so just looking for some advice.

My employer recently gave me a free Samsung 49" monitor: CRG9 - LC49RG90SSRXXU 5120x1440 120Hz.

Right now I have an old AMD R9 280 and the max resolution I can get is on Windows is 3840x1080. I think this is due to the limitations of the older card.

So I'm looking for a new card which can run this monitor at the 5120x1440 resolution. In terms of work it's mostly for programming so not things like video editing or anything like that.

In terms of gaming I do play games but I'm not looking for absolute top end. Just something that looks decent - mostly strategy games, maybe something like The Witcher 3 on a rare occasion.

The monitor was free so it's not like I went out and bought it for gaming, so I wouldn't mind, for example, reducing the virtual size of the monitor to play games or reducing the refresh rate from 120hz (not sure if that's even possible..).

I was looking at the 3060 TI at ~£420. Would that card be the type of thing I'm looking for or can anyone recommend anything else?

CPU: Intel i7-4770 (3.4GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure you'd be good with a 3060 but a 3070 would be the safe bet if you could stretch to that

Associate
saying that, overclockers got the below. I'm assuming that's for forum members with 1k+ posts? due to price
GEFORCE RTX 3070 MASTER 8GB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD in stock for £5000.

Associate
Yep I believe so. It's good they're actively trying to beat the scalpers & bots
actually just spoke to them, so yes, I need to post a lot more ...maybe I can go round every member and just say hi :cry::cry::cry:. Though I forgot to ask whether they'd make an exception if I bought all the parts through them...so far haven't bought anything else as need to get the gpu 1st. Maybe that'll prove I'm not a scalper and they'll get more business on the back of it too.

Associate
actually just spoke to them, so yes, I need to post a lot more ...maybe I can go round every member and just say hi :cry::cry::cry:. Though I forgot to ask whether they'd make an exception if I bought all the parts through them...so far haven't bought anything else as need to get the gpu 1st. Maybe that'll prove I'm not a scalper and they'll get more business on the back of it too.

I don't think they'll approve if you just spam

Back
Top Bottom