Advice for first time user (new job, new MacBook Air!)

Consigliere
Exciting times ahead as my new role have provided me with a MacBook Air. :)

I start tomorrow and I am spending today understanding it but any advice on what I should learn first? The role will be using Excel and a few browser software apps.

I've been Windows all my life so I am used to alt-tab-ing and all that.

I am even tempted to get a few YouTube videos up...! :p

Soldato
A good shortcut cheat sheet - https://www.maketecheasier.com/cheatsheet/mac-keyboard-shortcuts/

As you're using a MBA/trackpad/Magic Mouse, MacOS Gestures - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204895

Dock bar, one of the best (standard) features of MacOS - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/macbook-air/apd4b7fb731f/mac

And get in the habit of ejecting a mounted external drive (flash USB drive etc) or DMG image/installer (worth Googling this one but similar to mounting an ISO within Windows) before unplugging it from the Mac by either selecting the drive in Finder (Windows explorer equivalent) and either pressing eject or using the shortcut CMD + E.
One preference i do is to display mounted drives on the desktop which is a setting under (open a Finder window, click the 'Finder' menu on the top menu bar) Finder > Preferences > General, 'Show these items on the desktop'.

Considering what you'll be using the Mac for, then the experience will be fairly similar other than the odd quirk or minor difference like shortcuts, eg - Alt + Tab becomes CMD + Tab.

Personally, the two biggest pain in the rectum issues with MacOS (having to switch between Windows and MacOS daily) is the lack of built-in support for window snapping or not all windows/software/apps supporting window maximise (option/alt + click the green plus icon top-left on a window).
Rather, you have to use third-party paid apps for window snapping and you have to get comfortable with manually resizing windows and/or using full-screen (click the green plus icon, only, on a window) with multiple 'desktops' and Gestures which is all a bit clunky compared to Windows. But you get used to it.

Good luck!

Man of Honour
After 9 months, I still struggle with my MBA, have to say I still prefer windows - but I have no choice as that's what work has given me (although I use my home pc more often than not).

But thanks for these links, EVH's guide in the sticky is now invalid.

I am trying to find a way of being more productive using the mac, but I just find it clunky and hard to use / find files etc... I'll get there in time I'm sure.

Man of Honour
Do you have any other resources I can check out to help me on my Mac journey?

I still predominantly use my PC at home, but when I'm and about I use solely my Mac and I get a bit lost still.

Associate
Some useful shortcuts I always use: shift+space - spotlight, cmd+shift+. - view hidden files.
Whilst in the finder app, in the menu bar click view -> show path bar. This gives you a windows like path so you can backtrack through folders easier.
Install the rectangle app, this enables window snapping just like windows 10.
Right click inside your documents folder, show view options, arrange by snap to grid. This gets rid of files not lining up and being a mess everywhere

Associate
For window snapping, there are plenty of options. However, Better Touch Tool provides window snapping along with tons of other features which are super useful, including key rebounds/macros.

Another quick tip is screenshotting (omg is so much better on Mac).
CMD + shift + 3 : screenshot the entire screen (this includes any external displays too)
CMD + shift + 4 : drag a box to screenshot a selection
CMD + shift + 5 : select a window to screenshot only that window

Screenshots are automatically saves as PNGs to your desktop.

Back
Top Bottom