• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Caporegime
PS5 coming down in price nicely, have actually seen some barely used consoles going for less than RRP for once.

Tempted to bag one and spend the 1k saved from a GPU on a holiday (when we can leave the country!)

True point about the scalpers. They don't give a monkeys what happens to the world as long as they can rip people blind for a quick buck. Surprised lynch mobs haven't formed in any great number yet :cry::cry: (obvious joke, just in case someone thinks it isn't!)
Good luck bagging one outside of ebay tho. Been trying for months.

Literally the same deal as PC GPUs. Be there the instant stock drops and get lucky, or miss out.

Soldato
Good luck bagging one outside of ebay tho. Been trying for months.

Literally the same deal as PC GPUs. Be there the instant stock drops and get lucky, or miss out.

The PS5 prices seem to be dropping. Seen then for £500~£550 on Ebay,which is £50~£100 more than RRP. GPUs are 10X worse in this regard. The best new GPU under £350 currently is the GTX1650 GDDR4 which is slower than an RX570.

The XBox Series X does appear to be easier to get. The XBox Series S is very easy to get at RRP. Its sad when an RX580 costs over £300 secondhand,yet the latter has an equivalent,more advanced GPU and costs less! :(

Soldato
I ignore the big points, which are fair points, about the economy and inflation listed above.

For me, the key thing is: how many people are prepared and able to spend £500+ just to upgrade a graphics card every few years?

As an enthusiast's forum, I think this point is sometimes missed.

These prices are going to destroy the bottom end of the market.

Soldato
The PS5 prices seem to be dropping. Seen then for £500~£550 on Ebay,which is £50~£100 more than RRP. GPUs are 10X worse in this regard. The best new GPU under £350 currently is the GTX1650 GDDR4 which is slower than an RX570.

The XBox Series X does appear to be easier to get. The XBox Series S is very easy to get at RRP. Its sad when an RX580 costs over £300 secondhand,yet the latter has an equivalent,more advanced GPU and costs less! :(

I know this whole market is broken. I'm so done with it

Soldato
I ignore the big points, which are fair points, about the economy and inflation listed above.

For me, the key thing is: how many people are prepared and able to spend £500+ just to upgrade a graphics card every few years?

As an enthusiast's forum, I think this point is sometimes missed.

These prices are going to destroy the bottom end of the market.

They won't. The issue is these companies also have to consider how many tech purchases are being pulled forward due to work from home,etc.

So what happens next year or the year after,if sales start to really plateau off,especially if the global economy doesn't really recover,and we have a K shaped recovery?

Also,as I have mentioned before if most of the market is on weaksauce GPUs,without decent feature support,why would PC devs really care about RT,etc? Even now on Steam,the RTX3070 as at number 20,and its the only GPU in the top20 that is faster than a console. The GTX1060 is the most popular GPU on the list! The RX580 has now gone up the list.

Even things like tessellation,etc only became mainstream,when there were enough mainstream GPUs supporting it at a decent performance level.

So are they going to push PC gamers towards streaming services then? Rental of GPUs?

If anything it makes it more likely consoles,are increasingly going to determine the pace of which technologies are adopted.

Smartphones already make at least half of all gaming revenue - I can see more and more people being pushed to phones,tablets and consoles as gaming devices.

The remaining profitable PC games will be twitch shooters and MMOs which have cartoony graphics so they can run on weaker systems.

I know this whole market is broken. I'm so done with it

I am fed up too - it seems companies are more concerned with their accountants,then listening to their actual customers. Its why you had Samsung and Apple doing the same,and caring only for the top few percent of phone sales,and then lots of Chinese companies came along and took the rest of them. Same with Japanese car companies,SK electronics firms,etc.

Financials are important,but also not to such a myopic level the Golden Goose keels over.

Soldato
I've just seen the ichill card I'd like go on a "trustedoc" site I've used before and it's double the price of Nvidias RRP....

I've literally given up. I'm considering dropping the oc on my 1080ti strix and running it in default mode to keep it happy and going for another year or two until some sense comes back into the market. Unbelievable times.

Hopefully AMDs new multi sampling FSA setting will be available soon to give me a boost in the newer titles at 4k

Soldato
They won't. The issue is these companies also have to consider how many tech purchases are being pulled forward due to work from home,etc.

So what happens next year or the year after,if sales start to really plateau off,especially if the global economy doesn't really recover,and we have a K shaped recovery?

Also,as I have mentioned before if most of the market is on weaksauce GPUs,without decent feature support,why would PC devs really care about RT,etc? Even now on Steam,the RTX3070 as at number 20,and its the only GPU in the top20 that is faster than a console. The GTX1060 is the most popular GPU on the list! The RX580 has now gone up the list.

Even things like tessellation,etc only became mainstream,when there were enough mainstream GPUs supporting it at a decent performance level.

So are they going to push PC gamers towards streaming services then? Rental of GPUs?

If anything it makes it more likely consoles,are increasingly going to determine the pace of which technologies are adopted.

Smartphones already make at least half of all gaming revenue - I can see more and more people being pushed to phones,tablets and consoles as gaming devices.

The remaining profitable PC games will be twitch shooters and MMOs which have cartoony graphics so they can run on weaker systems.

I am fed up too - it seems companies are more concerned with their accountants,then listening to their actual customers. Its why you had Samsung and Apple doing the same,and caring only for the top few percent of phone sales,and then lots of Chinese companies came along and took the rest of them. Same with Japanese car companies,SK electronics firms,etc.

Financials are important,but also not to such a myopic level the Golden Goose keels over.

I agree with most of what you've said.

If my 970 dies on me I can't justify replacement, with new or even second-hand, at current prices. It'll be civ4 on my 8800 at that point. I'll then stop buying any newer games.

Console is increasingly tempting in that situation, for many of the reasons you listed.

Caporegime

Fair enough. I don't care about the 2nd hand market; I will never buy from a scalper, at any price :p

Atm the situation/stress when attempting to buy from retail is the same, is what I meant. You have to be there at the very instant the product drops. And for both AMD cards and PS5 drops, that isn't enough. You need to know the tricks to manipulate the websites too. E.g. on AMD's direct buy site you need to run Javascript to bypass the "buy" button.

Associate
I'm about to give up looking for a graphics card for about the 4th time. I seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of checking websites again and again till it makes me sick and then giving up for good.. until I forget and get my hopes up again.

I just really want to play half life alyx. At this rate my quest 2 will be obsolete before I can get my hands on a graphics card

Associate
Well, I just saw an alert for a 6800 for £890 on a competitor site. And there was a Buy button when I clicked through. That's the lowest I've seen for a while. Most 6700s seem be north of £800 I think? I was tempted, but I'm in no rush.

Signs of a slight cooling, or a false dawn.

EDIT: Now sold out 1 minute later...

Soldato
I agree with most of what you've said.

If my 970 dies on me I can't justify replacement, with new or even second-hand, at current prices. It'll be civ4 on my 8800 at that point. I'll then stop buying any newer games.

Console is increasingly tempting in that situation, for many of the reasons you listed.

I have a slightly faulty GTX960 4GB to tide me over if my main GPU goes!

Fair enough. I don't care about the 2nd hand market; I will never buy from a scalper, at any price :p

Atm the situation/stress when attempting to buy from retail is the same, is what I meant. You have to be there at the very instant the product drops. And for both AMD cards and PS5 drops, that isn't enough. You need to know the tricks to manipulate the websites too. E.g. on AMD's direct buy site you need to run Javascript to bypass the "buy" button.

Its not ideal! :(

I know the feeling - its annoying!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom