MS Teams audio and microphone woes

Caporegime
Hi all

I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a decent headphone / headset solution working with Teams.

If I use a Bluetooth headset, other people can hear me clearly but I can't hear anything being said.

If I use a mobile phone style plug in job, I can hear them clearly but they all say my microphone is too quiet (levels are maxed).

I've looked around but only have so much freedom to tinker because it's a corporate Windows 10 laptop.

Before I run the gauntlet that will be raising an IT ticket, I was just wondering if I'm missing something obvious here.

My ideal is to use bluetooth as I can wonder about on calls etc., but I just can't hear people after the first use.

Googling the problem seems to imply that it's something to do with the Windows low-power bluetooth driver, but I don't have access to disable that.

Many thanks if anyone's experienced similar and fixed it!

Soldato
Right click the sound icon in the Windows notification area, select Sounds, under both Playback and Recording tabs make sure the bluetooth headset is set as default. Setting the device as default via other methods does not change the default commucation device for some weird reason.

Soldato
It's worth going to the "Manage Sound Devices" option under "Sound Settings" and disabling all output devices other than the one you're using.

There's a bug that effects some people where W10 will default to another device regardless of what you do should other devices be available.

Caporegime
OP
Right click the sound icon in the Windows notification area, select Sounds, under both Playback and Recording tabs make sure the bluetooth headset is set as default. Setting the device as default via other methods does not change the default commucation device for some weird reason.

It's worth going to the "Manage Sound Devices" option under "Sound Settings" and disabling all output devices other than the one you're using.

There's a bug that effects some people where W10 will default to another device regardless of what you do should other devices be available.

Oh god I think that's done it, I'm so happy thank you :D. Detailed steps I followed were:

- Right click on the sound icon in the taskbar
- Click 'open sound settings'
- It comes up with one of those dumbed down settings windows; click 'Sound Control Panel' on the right
- In there was both a headset and headphones; I disabled the headphones and made the headset the default device and that appears to have done it based on a Teams echo test call

Funny thing is the headset audio wasn't working at all before I disabled the headphones, so I never thought to disable the headphones, but I did try disabling the headset to no avail, albeit not in the sound control panel.

Now I can walk about in dull meetings (remembering to switch the camera off) without anyone knowing what I'm doing.

Amazing, thanks!!!!

Soldato
MS Teams has its own device settings too. So, even though people set their default devices in Windows, it wont always update Teams. So, with you disabling it, its probably forced Teams to use the correct input/output device.

I've ran in to this a lot with people plugging in their own headsets and Teams doing what it wants

Back
Top Bottom