Why are all gaming chairs so bad?

Man of Honour
I find they last the obligatory 2-3 years before they begin to wane.

Most of mine have lasted 2-3 years but barely made it a year before starting to wane in one way or another. The most common one, and sad to see even on expensive ones, is the surface starting to crazy crack and flake even in areas with minimal contact and even on ones which "aren't" just cheap plastic or pleather finishes which probably points to an inferior material as the leather seats in my truck have seen a ton of abuse and still hold up fine.

Associate
GamersNexus did a video on gaming chairs and basically found that they are all built in the same factory and have insane markups. Also the side support means you have to sit with a unnatural posture

Associate
Most likely super hit-or-miss but the one gaming chair I've owned wasn't particularly comfortable and its surface wore away pretty fast. A general rule I've mostly stuck to for certain purchases is to buy outside of things appropriated for a gaming crowd. Executive chair to replace the old gaming chair, studio headphones instead of a gaming headset as I'm rarely in need of a mic and can lean slightly more on brand trust, etc.

Associate
I am looking for a chair. So went into a big store that sell electronics and wot not to try a few chairs. So checked two of them as one was corsair t1 race with the back rest for children once the cushion was removed as it was so narrow. The other was one of those in house brands and felt much better, but was looking rather tired even in the shop. Last year I bought a fabric chair from them and bottom cushion is gone. I am thinking of getting a seat from the car and welding a frame. 300 pounds for a faux leather chair I do not think so. There seems to be a niche market gap for leather comfy chairs imho.

Associate
I got very lucky with a chair and managed to cop a Herman Miller Aeron which was nice, I've heard some really good things about Secretlabs I guess the only bad thing would be that there's no real ventilation when you're sitting for long hours.

Associate
I got very lucky with a chair and managed to cop a Herman Miller Aeron which was nice, I've heard some really good things about Secretlabs I guess the only bad thing would be that there's no real ventilation when you're sitting for long hours.
I also got a Herman Miller back in 1998, still going strong, still holds its value (£300 for 2nd hand). full mesh, best long term purchase I've made. Highly recommended.

Associate
yup, still going strong and insist on them in office. worth £300 for 2nd hand as they get checked over before sold (office chair companies). You should be able find 1 in most offices to try before you buy. Admittedly I think they cost £600 new in 1998, but now are a bit more new.

Associate
I also got a Herman Miller back in 1998, still going strong, still holds its value (£300 for 2nd hand). full mesh, best long term purchase I've made. Highly recommended.

Wow that a good chair if you had it that long. I did have a chair that I got in 2002 that only change in 2016. Had 2 other chair since then.

Associate
What you've got there is a bog standard office chair, rather than the mega-bucks ones which gaming chairs are being compared to by the people vilifying gaming chairs.

A cheap gaming chair will likely be no better than that. But a good gaming chair (talking £300 to £500 probably) will be far superior. Then again, a high end office chair (£1000+) will be better again, ergonomically.

I have a Noble Hero. It is night and day better quality in every way than the office chairs I used to have - which were similar to the one you picture.
I've got a Noblechairs Epic and it's so much better than the office chairs. We had Herman Miller's which I know are incredibly reputable, but I _hated_ it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
but it's still comfortable to sit on no? the padding has just moulded to the shape of your ass

I had opportunity to take my work chair home, it ended up making more noises than the gaming chair. The chair is not uncomfortable so I am in no hurry to replace it. Like shoes and bike saddles its all personal preference really.

Associate
I've had a few Noble, Racer and an old Arozzi (spelling) one, personally they are pretty much all the same I mean its a chair for gods sake, these days I just found an office chair that I found comfy at work and took it home, I mean if I'm comfy sitting in it for 8 hours a day at work it'll do for the home, cost me 50 quid from a 2nd hand office store for the second one. The Arozzi I think was my favourite one, was very comfy but didn't last that long unfortunately.

The days of me paying 300 quid plus for a chair are long gone.

Associate
I used to love my Hero until i had to start working from home, the extra 8 hours a day sat in it was brutal on my back. Switched to a Herman Miller Mira 2 and never looked back

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I used to love my Hero until i had to start working from home, the extra 8 hours a day sat in it was brutal on my back. Switched to a Herman Miller Mira 2 and never looked back

Exactly this. I built a new bench in my garage to allow for a standing desk. I now sit for about 2 hours a day at work and much better for it.

If you need to sit, invest in a chair that is comfortable. Looks mean nothing in reality but if your not active don't think it wont happen to you.

Soldato
I've got a dxracer that I've had since 2014, so its been a solid 7 years using for 8+ hours daily.
The only thing wrong with it is that the "leather" has pealed on the headrest and the seat, its comfortable I think, wont be replacing it for a good while, but it wont be another "gaming" chair.

img-20210830-130051-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom