• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I buy or hold out

Associate
stock does seem to be improving

now if a rx6700xt turns up closer to £600 thats worth considering

As already mentioned founders edition looks the only way of getting a card at MSRP now. However it also seems that the don't actually sell them in the UK on launch day!

6700XT looks interesting - but it may depend on what you play and how well it is optimised for nvidia/AMD.

Associate
OP
Yes, prices are sky high but they way I have to look at it is
a) I need a GPU
b) I want something that will last me another 8 years .... hopefully, so I am going to do this once
c) I have a budget and want best bang for my buck.
d) If I order a completely new rig then I live in hope that the nice people at OC will realise the GPU is for genuine use and even though I am now 397 posts away from the discount club, they may if I ask nicely discount me a GPU
Still need to decide what one to get though

Associate
Stock seems to be improving a little - you can get things in many UK retailers now albeit the prices are high. Scalper prices are slowly falling. Cryptos currently down - if it falls through the floor then stock may get towards normal and prices should SLOWLY come down. But Gibbo says that stock through the distributors is still pretty thin, each time the prices at retailers step down cards are going to sell instantly and if crypto goes back up then there will be no stock left at all. It's a downward trend right now, but it could turn quickly. If your card hasn't actually failed yet, I'd hold on a couple of weeks and see if prices continue to creep downwards. I managed to bag an RX550 just before prices went mental and stock disappeared; six months later I'm still waiting!

Associate
I'm in a similar situation.. I have a pc running without a gpu after my 980ti died.. I must admit I'm struggling to hold off.. I think would rather buy a 3090 and pay way more than I'd like too for a gpu than pay a scalper for a 3070 or 3080...

Associate
As already mentioned founders edition looks the only way of getting a card at MSRP now. However it also seems that the don't actually sell them in the UK on launch day!

6700XT looks interesting - but it may depend on what you play and how well it is optimised for nvidia/AMD.

very true but it does
a) I need a GPU
b) I want something that will last me another 8 years .... hopefully, so I am going to do this once
d) If I order a completely new rig then I live in hope that the nice people at OC will realise the GPU is for genuine use and even though I am now 397 posts away from the discount club, they may if I ask nicely discount me a GPU

phone them up and talk about your options if you are building a whole system

Associate
I'm in a similar situation.. I have a pc running without a gpu after my 980ti died.. I must admit I'm struggling to hold off.. I think would rather buy a 3090 and pay way more than I'd like too for a gpu than pay a scalper for a 3070 or 3080...
When I eventually give out, my money's going to a real retailer because I want that warranty. Feed the scalpers - feed the problem! Luckily older games on my backlog and my PS4 are keeping my gaming fix going for now...

Permabanned
a) I need a GPU

If its truly going to last 8 years, spend as much as you can comfortably afford and maybe then spend a little more. Going too mid-range will mean it wont last you as long as you want and then you will end up spending twice.

Associate
now if a rx6700xt turns up closer to £600 thats worth considering

They were actually available elsewhere for effectively £640 less than two weeks ago. (It was as part of a bundle, but the other components I would have got anyway eventually)

"No", I thought, "I'll wait and see what happens with the 3070ti FE and maybe get one after if I can't get an FE"

Sadly, everyone else in the country was thinking the same, now they're £800.

Associate
Only advice I have at the moment is to keep trying for a 3070 / 3080 FE, they do drop every now and again at MSRP.

Iv now seen 6700XT retailing at more than what I spent on a XFX 6800XT Merc :(

Associate
I would say just get one if you can - £600 over 8 years is like £6 per month.. if you look at it like that it’s basically nothing. For that kind of long term investment I would go as high as I could now and get years of enjoyment.

Why wait, it’s not like the 4 series are going to cheaper next year, the price point has now been set for GPUs and likely won’t change much.

Soldato
Good if your can do it but I wouldn't assume you'll get 8 years out of a GPU as the chances of it failing, and being unable to run newer games with acceptable visuals/performance, within that timeframe are pretty high.

Associate
I'd say one of the best ways to get hold of a GPU, if you can't get a FE, is the bundles that other places have been putting up, even if you don't need all the parts you can sell those one and bring the cost of the gpu closer to mrsp.

For instance there was a deal yesterday, £2499 for a 11900k, z590 asus tuf moboard and the palitg 3090, selling the other parts on it puts the 3090 at around £1800, cheapest i've seen for one of those atm.

There are similar deals like this going around atm as well, £600 for a 3060 with a chair for instanc. Alright if you need a chair as well.

Associate
Stock seems to be improving a little - you can get things in many UK retailers now albeit the prices are high. Scalper prices are slowly falling. Cryptos currently down - if it falls through the floor then stock may get towards normal and prices should SLOWLY come down. But Gibbo says that stock through the distributors is still pretty thin, each time the prices at retailers step down cards are going to sell instantly and if crypto goes back up then there will be no stock left at all. It's a downward trend right now, but it could turn quickly. If your card hasn't actually failed yet, I'd hold on a couple of weeks and see if prices continue to creep downwards. I managed to bag an RX550 just before prices went mental and stock disappeared; six months later I'm still waiting!

While crypto is a huge issue its not the main, production is still so far away from what it should be. While ever supply is shocking the scalpers will still be the biggest issue.

As others have suggested, picking up an FE is your best shot. Good luck.

Associate
While crypto is a huge issue its not the main, production is still so far away from what it should be. While ever supply is shocking the scalpers will still be the biggest issue.

As others have suggested, picking up an FE is your best shot. Good luck.
Cheers buddy. I hadn't realised there were FE cards occasionally feeding through so I'll definitely try that. (Sort of) luckily, not only am I on an RX550, but I've also got a placeholder CPU (Ryzen 3100) so some of the bundle deals would actually work well for me (5600X ideally). Holding off upgrading the processor as I'd hate to buy one and then only be able to get a GPU deal with a duplicate CPU.

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
Hi
I have £500 - £600 for a new graphics card.
I was hoping I can do better than a standard 3060, should I look for something better? (Either Nvidia or AMD) or Is it worth holding out to see if prices start to return to normal?

What do you currently have? If you have anything decent (900 series and above) defo wait out, man. Prices will get back to normal towards the end of the year. You'll save a bunch

Back
Top Bottom