*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Its a steamVR game and Im connected with a usb cable.. It runs fine and I can see it on the headset, but I just cant select anything because there's no pointer?

Not sure then. Maybe it's like Shi Warrior said, that the pointer moves to where ever you are looking.

Soldato
Anyone got any solid facial interface recommendations for the summer? or any life hacks, my leather VRCover one kills me D:

It's not pleasant playing VR in the summer, but there are some things you could do to make it less sweaty.

VRCover cotton covers for the standard interface are good. These soak up sweat and are machine washable. They're much better for exercise games as they keep the sweat out of your headset.

Other than that, get a fan and point it towards your face.

Soldato
Anyone got any solid facial interface recommendations for the summer? or any life hacks, my leather VRCover one kills me D:

Migrate north for the Summer, like all real VR enthusiasts :p

Best thing is a fan pointed towards you. There used to be a product called VR n Chill for the Quest, maybe they will fit the Quest 2 as well.

Soldato
Has anyone used both an index and quest 2? Is there a big difference between the two?

I'm lucky enough to have both. They're quite different headsets really.

Quest 2 focuses on value for money and portability. It's got a higher resolution than the Index, but really can't make full use of that as it's not powerful enough in stand-alone mode, and in PC wired/wireless mode it uses compression so while it looks great most of the time, some games can look blurry.
What is noticable is the almost complete lack of screen door effect, which makes a huge different to clarity.
It is the most accessible headset though, and is really easy to setup as all the tracking is internal.
The controllers are best in class in my opinion, not as advanced as the Index, but more comfortable and usable.
The Quest 2 also requires accessories to make it more comfortable which can significantly bump up the price.
The biggest caveat is it requires a Facebook account.
Wireless VR is where is really shines.

The Index is of course a PC only headset. When released 2 years ago it was without question the best VR system out there, as well as one of the most expensive. It has the best tracking, though this requires setting up external base stations.
It's still expensive, but its resolution, though good, is lower than recent headsets. However it can drive all those pixels (if you have a good graphics card), so paradoxically it looks sharper than the Quest 2.
The audio is incredible - the best you can get in VR without having to buy add-on headphones.
The controllers are incredible technology, but very few games make full use of them - most of the time they just emulate Oculus controllers. The grip sensors in particular are not as usable as the Oculus touch controllers grip buttons. Also the button and stick layout isn't very ergonomic. The only accessory I've had to get for the Index are some 3D printed grip boosters which bulk out the controller handles which helps with the ergonomics.
The best thing about the Index is it's field of view, which is far bigger than the Quest 2's, especially vertically. It has a very wide sweet spot too, so you don't have to move your head to see things sharply.
One of the worst things about the Index is lens glare, which is awful.
One advantage of the Index is if a new Steam VR headset comes out that's better, I'll only have to get the headset, as the base stations and controllers will be compatible.

I bought the Index when there really wasn't any decent competition. If the Quest 2 had been around at the same time, with the capabilities it has now, I probably wouldn't have got an Index.

However I do use the Index for PC VR as it's permanently setup and it's easy to use, and gives a sharper image. But I don't have much room to move around near my PC, so I use the Quest 2 for active or roomscale games for proper wireless action in my living room, and I use the Quest 2 to watch movies and videos as I can wear it in bed, and it gives a clearer image for video, due to the higher resolution, and better lens glare than the Index. I also use the Quest 2 wirelessly for Oculus PC games which don't work on the Index.

Underboss
I have decided im not going to purchase prescription lenses for these, im going to put the money towards the Quest 3 (or what ever its going to be called)
mainly because rumours are saying new lenses, with wider FOV and maybe OLED lenses

Soldato
I have decided im not going to purchase prescription lenses for these, im going to put the money towards the Quest 3 (or what ever its going to be called)
mainly because rumours are saying new lenses, with wider FOV and maybe OLED lenses

If you do have to wear glasses but don't want to buy lenses, then get some 3D printed lens protector rings to stop your glasses scratching the headset lenses. Better a small expense than a ruined headset.

Underboss
If you do have to wear glasses but don't want to buy lenses, then get some 3D printed lens protector rings to stop your glasses scratching the headset lenses. Better a small expense than a ruined headset.

that's a good point actually, although , been lucky so far! :) (at least i don't think there any scratches, big or small!

going to ask, i dont have a printer , where could i buy some from ? :)

Soldato
that's a good point actually, although , been lucky so far! :) (at least i don't think there any scratches, big or small!

You could ask in the OCUK 3D Printer forum. In my experience 3D printer owners tend to be very helpful when asked. They like playing with their printers :D

Soldato
I am thinking about buying prescription lenses as you can buy clear lenses that protects the actual lenses from being scratched...... Anyway how scratch-able are the lenses on the Quests 2, my DK2 lenses were terrible. You only had to look at them the wrong way and they were scratched?:D

I could print you out some if you want?

Soldato
I am thinking about buying prescription lenses as you can buy clear lenses that protects the actual lenses from being scratched...... Anyway how scratch-able are the lenses on the Quests 2, my DK2 lenses were terrible. You only had to look at them the wrong way and they were scratched?:D

All modern VR headsets have plastic lenses which are easily scratched. Prescription lenses are a no brainer, especially on the more expensive headsets. £60 for lenses, or £300 to £750 to replace your headset if the lenses get scratched.

Underboss

I could print you out some if you want?

Nice, thank you , let me know how much I owe you inc postage :)

Back
Top Bottom