• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you NEED that card, feeding the scalpers

Associate
Hear me out

I have a gtx 970 and have for what feels like 6ish years. About a year ago i got into sim racing on my ps4.

Then my daughter nuked the ps4 with jam toast in the drive and all sorts went in there.

This forced me to look again at my pc, and i picked up ACC which is a sim title that isnt exactly well optimised. I even bought a full aluminium sim rig with bucket seat. The 970 ram ACC ok stable 60fps mostly low settings some mid. Then i grabbed a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide, performance took a slight hit and i lowered some stuff.

I even picked up a rift s, realised i couldnt run ACC vr on the 970, so grabbed race room and project cars - both games run fine on the 970. I even play pavlov.

Now im itching to update the gpu so i can max out my 144hz new monitor with descent visuals, or really push the resolution on the rift s. But i dont need it, i can carry on just fine. There is even a game i cant play! AcC in VR, but easy enough to experience sim racing in vr using another less demanding title.

So ask yourself, do you NEED that gpu because i think most of you dont. And dont give me that "its my main hobby, stuck in during lockdown" nonsense.

Ive seen so many, ye i have a 3070 but really need a 3080ti. Or my second gaming pc needs an upgrade.

Third world problems right?

Not contraversial what so ever, thoughts? Give me another point of view on this

Soldato
Unfortunately, lots of people WANT a GPU to resell for profit.

xedh7haqk3561.jpg

Associate
Want and need are the two factors in play here, I doubt very many "need" that gpu but I bet many "want" it.

I don't need a new gpu, but I do want one, also Because I don't need one I can wait for stock and prices to stabilise.
With prices as high as they are want will never trump need, and for everyone blaming scalpers and pointing fingers at retailers and manufacturers to do something, it's down to the end user, if they didn't pay the inflated price then there wouldn't be any scalpers...

I generally in the past usually upgrade when a game I want to play is coming/is out and on my current hardware I won't get the best experience, and to be fair there is nothing pushing that drive atm, that said the feature set on the 3xxx series has me hankering for an upgrade on my 1080ti.
The kids need an upgrade more than me as they have 1060 6gb cards and I would love to snag them a 3060 ti but as I have to buy two I will wait til they are priced properly. Again need does not trump want

Soldato
Ive seen so many, ye i have a 3070 but really need a 3080ti. Or my second gaming pc needs an upgrade.

Personally I dont see the problem. Its not like you are robbing someone of life giving vaccine. Also if they buy it at a reasonable price that defeats your arguement of paying scalpers.
Its possibly they got a 3070 as that is all they could get and wanted a 3080ti as they have a 4k monitor and obviously cant get one.

Here's one to get your teeth into.
I went 3060ti FE > Palit 3070 > 3080FE > 6900xt since September.
Reason a) its my money I can do what I want with it and b) I originally wanted a 6900xt back in September and its took me that long to finally get one.

so far I sold each card less than £100 over full price that I paid (as in MSRP not 'scalper price') some of which got eaten up by fees so thats 3 cards gone to gamers for a decent price.

I`m more suspicious of the threads suddenly springing up from low posters when the voucher system is back in play ! ;)

It's just enthusiast's desires and goals I guess.

But I must admit it has taken it's toll this time around as it's been particularly difficult, time consuming and costly.
Hence NVIDIA can take a good run and jump on their next major release, I don't care how good it is.
It is now time to sit back and enjoy the tech and get at least a couple of years of use out of it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Personally I dont see the problem. Its not like you are robbing someone of life giving vaccine. Also if they buy it at a reasonable price that defeats your arguement of paying scalpers.
Its possibly they got a 3070 as that is all they could get and wanted a 3080ti as they have a 4k monitor and obviously cant get one.

Here's one to get your teeth into.
I went 3060ti FE > Palit 3070 > 3080FE > 6900xt since September.
Reason a) its my money I can do what I want with it and b) I originally wanted a 6900xt back in September and its took me that long to finally get one.

so far I sold each card less than £100 over full price that I paid (as in MSRP not 'scalper price') some of which got eaten up by fees so thats 3 cards gone to gamers for a decent price.

I`m more suspicious of the threads suddenly springing up from low posters when the voucher system is back in play ! ;)

As above poster said, its your money! Fancy sharing the secret of grabbing 2 FEs!!?

Im sure your a rarity, selling for less than RRP when you could have coined it in, respect

Associate
I have 1080, and it does well. got it for 300£ here on this very forum. 3440x1440 all y games are high to medium settings and 40 fps+. Microsoft flight sim, redemption 2. Conan exiles, (wow 100fps caped). I would like a 3070 or 6800 but can't justify 1k price for 60-70 fps. 40 fps is not that bad when u don't know the difference.

Associate
I 'want' a 3090. Do I need it?

Well I mean I can continue working on my current GPU, and wait long times for renders, or I can get get 30xx card and cut my render times in half, or even to a quarter of their current times.

Wait 10 hours for a render, or wait 3 hours for a render. Get 3x more work done per day.

Feed myself without having to take a second job (which I can't do anyway due to an anxiety disorder).

But I mean... I don't 'need' it.

Funnily enough I barely get any time to actually play games, and the games I do play will run on my current GPU just fine.

I'd still rather the GPUs went to casual gamers than scalpers though.

Edit: Just to clarify, I can't actually afford scalper prices, but I do keep having to do the maths. When it gets to the point where I have to refuse a job due to not being able to complete my current jobs in time, then I'll probably have to just pay the scalper price and then hope I can recoup the loss within a few months.

Soldato
I also have a 970. I'm playing mostly older games, so it's ok for that. The gap between by 290x failing and getting the 970 (second-hand, a few years back) re-introduced me to the joys of Civ4- the best civ- so my 970 is not being stressed and should last a fair while yet.

I'm waiting for prices to return to sane levels before upgrading. A 3060/3060ti or AMD equivalent is probably what I'd be looking at.

I won't be buying second-hand/ scalper, as I have to assume the memory will have been thrashed by a miner for several months. Also, there will no doubt be warrantee issues, making that even more risky.

Associate
I don't see the point in buying the AMD cards at these prices with the Xbox series x being so powerful. I am tempted to wait for the AMD 7000 series, hopefully by which time the gpu market will be back to near normal.

Associate
I want a new gpu and it’s making me feel a bit sick how much I’ll end up paying. But it will happen.
I'm fighting same demons. So fare the white demon teamed up with my wife and wining (holding me back) but the red devil is gaining ground. :D and if the prices will go down something like 20% then im all in.

Soldato
Yeah, you can certainly get by with a framerate locked to 30 or 40 at 1080p. I think all games should have a framerate limiter, but this can be done via drivers or programs if needed. This is the sanest thing to do, just accept similar framerate to a console, clearly games can be played well enough at these framerates on consoles.

It's a big problem for people with no GPU at all though, or maybe just an iGPU that can barely render a few frames.

TBF AMD's latest iGPUs (still with Vega Compute Units) can handle games at 30fps +1080p generally, so do people need to buy a low end graphics card at inflated prices? Presumably, this will be even more true with Navi based iGPUs likely coming in 2022.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't get the point of this thread. Why cripple your experience for the sake of it? The initial point about scalpers seems almost an aside.

Back
Top Bottom