• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When to upgrade 9900k...

Associate
While I know the 9900k is showing it's age a little, especially in heavily multithreaded tasks, is it that critical to update from a gaming perspective just yet? At 1440p and above I'm going to be GPU bound and I'm not looking to get in to the top tier of FPS for e-sports at 1080p so I'm tempted to hang fire for the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, many thanks.

Soldato
E-sport games usually aren't really that demanding so no reason to upgrade.
For other games just don't keep much stuff on background and eight cores will do fine.

Need to change also motherboard (courtesy of artificial limitations from Intel's greed) would increase cost of any upgrade.

Associate
I switched from Intel 4790K to AMD 5800X 6 months ago. Did I need to do it? In all honesty, probably not. Sure I'm seeing faster load times and generally smoother gameplay when things get busy but given how much more recent the 9900K is compared to my old chip I would expect the margins to be even smaller.

The question I would be asking myself is this - is there anything else I can spend the money on that would enhance the experience more than a hardware upgrade i.e How good is your monitor/audio/peripherals. Could the room you game in do with a fresh lick of paint and some new furniture?

For myself right now I know I've got more chance of being hospitalised by COVID (despite being fully vaccinated) than I have of finding an upgrade for my GTX 1080 so I'm about to have a demo of some nice ATC loudspeakers and an REL T5x subwoofer to potentially upgrade my audio rig. The gfx can wait ;)

Associate
OP
E-sport games usually aren't really that demanding so no reason to upgrade.
For other games just don't keep much stuff on background and eight cores will do fine.

Need to change also motherboard (courtesy of artificial limitations from Intel's greed) would increase cost of any upgrade.

Thanks for the quick reply appreciated. I certainly wouldn't bother with LGA1200 based m'boards if i upgraded with LGA1700 not that far away. Equally I'm no Intel fanboy and AMD are certainly on a role with more to come. I think that'll be the decision time when Alder Lake starts shipping and the next AMD offering are also out. Changing now seems a little premature.

Thanks again for the advice.

Associate
OP
I switched from Intel 4790K to AMD 5800X 6 months ago. Did I need to do it? In all honesty, probably not. Sure I'm seeing faster load times and generally smoother gameplay when things get busy but given how much more recent the 9900K is compared to my old chip I would expect the margins to be even smaller.

The question I would be asking myself is this - is there anything else I can spend the money on that would enhance the experience more than a hardware upgrade i.e How good is your monitor/audio/peripherals. Could the room you game in do with a fresh lick of paint and some new furniture?

For myself right now I know I've got more chance of being hospitalised by COVID (despite being fully vaccinated) than I have of finding an upgrade for my GTX 1080 so I'm about to have a demo of some nice ATC loudspeakers and an REL T5x subwoofer to potentially upgrade my audio rig. The gfx can wait ;)

Many thanks sound advice I think. As you say i think a refresh of the monitor (let's not even talk GPUs!) and then compare Alder Lake with whatever AMDs then current offering would sound sensible. 'Upgrading' to LGA1200 would seem like to small a jump and on a socket that was just about to be obsolete, it doesn't make sense.

Associate
OP
Yeah keep the 9900K, you won't see any real huge improvements. Going to keep my 8600k a long time yet.

Thanks for that, that makes sense. Whichever way i went I'd need a new m'board and CPU and I get the feeling that money would be better added to a GPU upgrade (don't laugh) or a refresh of the monitor. Thanks again, appreciate the feedback.

Soldato
While I know the 9900k is showing it's age a little, especially in heavily multithreaded tasks, is it that critical to update from a gaming perspective just yet? At 1440p and above I'm going to be GPU bound and I'm not looking to get in to the top tier of FPS for e-sports at 1080p so I'm tempted to hang fire for the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, many thanks.

controversial opinion here, Sell the 9900k + mobo and side grade to a 5800x or even a 12 core 5900x for +£150

Associate
OP
controversial opinion here, Sell the 9900k + mobo and side grade to a 5800x or even a 12 core 5900x for +£150

I don't see that as desperately controversial, I've used Intel for years but I'm not an obsessed fanboy but wouldn't i need more to change from 9900k to 58/5900x than £150? No doubting you, just amazed.

Soldato
I don't see that as desperately controversial, I've used Intel for years but I'm not an obsessed fanboy but wouldn't i need more to change from 9900k to 58/5900x than £150? No doubting you, just amazed.

Yeah they go for around 200 used or 275 with mobo,

You can buy a b550 and 5900x for about 480 all in

Soldato
No reason to yet, think like you i will end up skipping a few gens. I only recently jumped onto the 9900k around running a 3770k for around 5-6 years? Unless you're doing a lot of heavy multi threaded work loads, there's no real gains from an upgrade especially when you weigh up cost/performance ratio.

If you're looking at next gen as well you'll have to take into a count of buying new memory as well as new platforms/cpu's will be supporting DDR5. Gonna be a hefty price to upgrade.

Soldato
No reason to yet, think like you i will end up skipping a few gens. I only recently jumped onto the 9900k around running a 3770k for around 5-6 years? Unless you're doing a lot of heavy multi threaded work loads, there's no real gains from an upgrade especially when you weigh up cost/performance ratio.

If you're looking at next gen as well you'll have to take into a count of buying new memory as well as new platforms/cpu's will be supporting DDR5. Gonna be a hefty price to upgrade.

The next round of Ryzen chips are DDR4.

Caporegime
Yup, these V-Cache chips are DDR4.

AMD are pushing Zen 4 to late 2022 when DDR5 is more established, not that this will matter much as this 3D Stacking stuff looks like a generational upgrade in performance anyway, an AMD one, not an Intel one.

Associate
OP

Yep, that's my gut feel too and why i maxxed out the Z390 with the 9900K. Next 'upgrade' will probably be a complete new build.

Back
Top Bottom