Microstutters with Dual Monitor Setup

Associate
I recently cleared my desk to allow a dual setup, but ever since I have been having horrible issues with microstuttering in games. I believe its something to do with the fact they are 2 different refresh rates (144hz and 60hz) but I just cannot seem to get the problem to go away. I game on the 1440p 144hz monitor, and have the 4k 60hz monitor there just for a distraction like a Twitch stream or movie etc. The stuttering doesn't usually start for a little while, maybe 15 mins or more, but once it starts there is no getting rid of it. I pretty much have to restart my PC. My CPU, GPU and RAM usage aren't maxed during the stuttering, and it doesnt appear to affect the actual frame rate as it still reads 144fps or thereabouts, it just stutters really badly on screen.

I have tried swapping the second monitor to a HDMI port on my 1080ti instead of DP, but that hasnt helped at all, I also tried dropping the refresh rate of the 60hz monitor to 59hz and I read that can help but it didn't. Anyone had this issue and managed to fix it for good, I am getting pretty desperate.

Cheers

Associate
What GPU do you run? Can it handle it ?

I get this sort of thing, but I am running 2 1440p 120hz monitors on a 1070! so I assume its the GPU just struggles some times.

Associate
OP
Shot in the dark, but have you tried lowering the 144hz to 120hz to see if it eliminates the stutter?

I haven't tried this yet no, I'll try it this evening.

What GPU do you run? Can it handle it ?

I get this sort of thing, but I am running 2 1440p 120hz monitors on a 1070! so I assume its the GPU just struggles some times.

I have a 1080ti. Like i said, it does it regardless of CPU/GPU/RAM usuage not being maxed, it even does it when the GPU is less than 50%. I googled it ages ago and it seemed like it was a Windows issue when you have 2x monitors that are different refresh rates. I have just not been able to solve it despite trying a few different things now.

If you have an appropriate CPU, have you tried moving the 60 Hz monitor to a motherboard HDMI port?

I have this in my back pocket as a final resort, but I wanted to leave it for now as my understanding is its a bit of a PITA setting the second monitor up to work off of the onboard graphics. I have an 8086k btw, so it would be fine.

Associate
I had the same set up monitor wise, but 5700xt GPU.
I also had the very same problem, the only option I could get to work is to use a TV stick on my 4k monitor. Routed the audio out via headphone on monitor to line in on pc.

So now the GPU only deals with my 1440p monitor.
And I have the audio from second screen through PC to speakers or headphones.

Associate
I recently cleared my desk to allow a dual setup, but ever since I have been having horrible issues with microstuttering in games. I believe its something to do with the fact they are 2 different refresh rates (144hz and 60hz) but I just cannot seem to get the problem to go away. I game on the 1440p 144hz monitor, and have the 4k 60hz monitor there just for a distraction like a Twitch stream or movie etc. The stuttering doesn't usually start for a little while, maybe 15 mins or more, but once it starts there is no getting rid of it. I pretty much have to restart my PC. My CPU, GPU and RAM usage aren't maxed during the stuttering, and it doesnt appear to affect the actual frame rate as it still reads 144fps or thereabouts, it just stutters really badly on screen.

I have tried swapping the second monitor to a HDMI port on my 1080ti instead of DP, but that hasnt helped at all, I also tried dropping the refresh rate of the 60hz monitor to 59hz and I read that can help but it didn't. Anyone had this issue and managed to fix it for good, I am getting pretty desperate.

Cheers

In my experience when matching monitors with varying refresh rates, it causes stuttering, did you try disabling the 60 Hz monitor entirely and seeing if the stuttering still occurs?

Back
Top Bottom