Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
I used to have an S2000, and currently have a Cayman (987). Driving dynamics aside, I always felt like I could rag the S2000 whereas the Porsche somehow feels a little more fragile. I would have probably bought another S2000 but I wanted a coupe and even with the hard top it wasn't quite what I wanted.

I had a 987 about 5 years ago and know exactly what you mean. I'd love to say the GT4 is better, but it's basically just moved to a higher point in the performance. Both 987 and 981 are compromised by running a strut at the rear (911 is multilink) and the roll centre stays really high during roll which means you don't have a great deal of confidence in the rear end. In the video I just posted, you can see the effect it has in the higher speed corners like Stowe and Copse. More static camber helps, but that's not really a proper fix.

Man of Honour
I'm going to track the FD2 some more later this year however I've always hankered after another S2000. I'll see how I get on but I think I'm ready to give RWD another go for track use. Thankfully I think FD2 and S2000 prices should rise at a similar rate so although an S2000 would cost more my FD2 should also be worth more.

Soldato
I'm going to track the FD2 some more later this year however I've always hankered after another S2000. I'll see how I get on but I think I'm ready to give RWD another go for track use. Thankfully I think FD2 and S2000 prices should rise at a similar rate so although an S2000 would cost more my FD2 should also be worth more.
Fd2s are going up too I agree. Everything Japanese and 90/00s is going up.

Caporegime
This is the main problem with the S2000 and a lot of Japanese cars I might add. I was so close to buying one last year and I kick myself for not doing it. Problem is now the money they are going for you are looking at 987 Boxster S, Lotus Elise, VX220's which are a whole different level of car.

Even my humble GT-Four prices are starting to go mad as they have just tipped over the 25 year old mark for US import. Parts are the same a set of OEM wheels that you couldn't give away are now selling for £500.

Caporegime
End of the ICE era. Don’t care what anyone says. EV will never match the experience.

Buy something now if you are thinking about it. They are only going one way.

Associate
Have to agree with Simon above, here is my current baby which I have had for 10 years and now are selling to get what appears to be the last V6 Mercedes they will make and hope to keep this for another 10 years.

KNoKlwJ.jpg
zjuza6Q.jpg

replacing it with this :) C43
-mercedes-benz--c-class-amg-coupe--c43-4matic-premium-plus-2dr-9g-tronic-454766802-3.jpg

Soldato
This is the main problem with the S2000 and a lot of Japanese cars I might add. I was so close to buying one last year and I kick myself for not doing it. Problem is now the money they are going for you are looking at 987 Boxster S, Lotus Elise, VX220's which are a whole different level of car.

Even my humble GT-Four prices are starting to go mad as they have just tipped over the 25 year old mark for US import. Parts are the same a set of OEM wheels that you couldn't give away are now selling for £500.

That's the thing, the boxster, Elise etc are not a completely different level of car. Honda delivers something unique that's hard to explain..on paper many cars are better than the little old Honda but there's a reason people sell their boxster s and go back to the Honda. It's unique/raw driver experience that not many cars can recreate and still cost Honda prices to run. Elise is probably the closest but they come with lotus built quality which is flaky at best.

Caporegime
That's the thing, the boxster, Elise etc are not a completely different level of car. Honda delivers something unique that's hard to explain..on paper many cars are better than the little old Honda but there's a reason people sell their boxster s and go back to the Honda. It's unique/raw driver experience that not many cars can recreate and still cost Honda prices to run. Elise is probably the closest but they come with lotus built quality which is flaky at best.

I have driven VX220, S2000 and 986 Boxster S and yes the S2000 is all about the engine but the mid engine cars are a far better steer but the most important thing in a convertible is the engine and the S2000 comes out top by a country mile. The S2000 also looks the best and dare I say it more classy than a Boxster!

Man of Honour
selling to get what appears to be the last V6 Mercedes they will make

I think you're being a bit overly dramatic here - you make it sound like it's the end of the 6 cylinder Mercedes whereas the reality is they've switched from V6 to Inline 6, just as they've often switched the other way in the past.

You can still go out and order a lovely new 6 Cylinder Mercedes - petrol or diesel - across various parts of the range (E Class, GLE Class, S Class..). Two of those are all-new cars too so those engines will be around for a while yet.

OcUK Staff

I have driven VX220, S2000 and 986 Boxster S and yes the S2000 is all about the engine but the mid engine cars are a far better steer but the most important thing in a convertible is the engine and the S2000 comes out top by a country mile. The S2000 also looks the best and dare I say it more classy than a Boxster!

For me the S2000 is one of the best weekend cars in existence, it has one of the best 4 pot induction sound tracks ever, particularly improved if you remove the air box lid or fit a CAI, I personally drilled my air box lid in select locations and add some cold air ducting to get the noise benefit but whilst not increasing intake temps, so no drop in performance or heat soak. The later cars not sure what year it was but they put the sharpness back into the handling that early cars had but without them wanting to kill you as such they handle and drive nice even on the stock SHOWA suspension but even still the Ohlins are an absolute transformation and give the car a go-kart handling feel when turned up pretty high but still offering soe comfort, or just dial them back for better than oe ride quality.

For me the only weakness the S2000 has, steering though precise and direct is lacking in feel, I need to look into options to see if this can be remedied and the stock brake setup lets bite and is prone to fade but is easily fixed with better pads and fluid, these are minor issues really because the engine gives the car a real connection and rawness that for me gives the excitement of something like a Caterham nearly but none of the drawbacks of lack of comfort as its easy to drive several hundred mi,les in the S2000, plus they have aged so well.

An Elise though great is a very bare car, the lesser power models also feel somewhat gutless, they don't have that urgency of VTEC or noise, step up to an Exige however and those issues are no longer, but still lacking comfort, the newer Sport 3560 do look incredible however. VX220 just never did it for me, its not age well and the NA VX220 I remember finding it so boring to drive, the Turbo was however a rush. Porsches are incredible and the Boxster wins on the chassis being more exploitable at the limits as in its more friendly to slide around, but the early ones are slower than an S2000 as a 2001 Boxster S found out this weekend, they might have 10HP more but my guess is they are a bit heavier and until the 981 series Bioxster all the previous ones look very dated whereas S2000 still looks fresh, particular 04 onwards models.

The S2000 is just a very special car, the drivetrain is perfect for fun factor, lets never forget that gearbox, if it had Porsche steering and better brakes it would be perfect, the latter is possible, the steering needs investigation.
Other thing going for the S2000 they are becoming a rare sight these days as they do become weekend cars or part of collections and the last point, HONDA RELIABILITY and parts are relatively cheap.

Associate
I think you're being a bit overly dramatic here - you make it sound like it's the end of the 6 cylinder Mercedes whereas the reality is they've switched from V6 to Inline 6, just as they've often switched the other way in the past.

You can still go out and order a lovely new 6 Cylinder Mercedes - petrol or diesel - across various parts of the range (E Class, GLE Class, S Class..). Two of those are all-new cars too so those engines will be around for a while yet.

Yep but currently only for larger cars, the C & CLA are all 4 Cylinder for the next few years from what I have read. Although they are more powerful than the v6 they sound terrible IMO. The E has a i6 and battery boost, but is bigger and a lot heavier car.

Man of Honour
The CLA has always been 4 cylinder only for its entire production history.

Probably the bigger story is the loss of the V8 in the C Class, I cannot imagine we'll ever see one again.

Soldato
I’m reminded of how good the S2000 gearbox is every time I shift in the 997. It’s just not in the same ballpark. I had to spend 3 times the purchase price of the S2000 to get what I feel is a meaningful upgrade... but I still miss the damned thing sometimes! The sound with the air box lid off is so special!

However, I completely agree with the comments about the steering. I could never get the S2000 to flow down a B road quite as easily (or as fast!) as the 997 and a lot of that I feel is the fabulous steering feel in the Porsche. Also the howl from the exhaust in the 911 is magical.

Had a passenger ride in a mate’s 987 S (3.4) and boy does it shift when you know what you’re doing with it!

@grudas - Cheddar gorge early in the morning in an S2000 must be one of life’s great pleasures. Hauling my arse up there on a bicycle was less so...

Man of Honour

Sadly a direction things seem to be going towards though +50% fuel economy while retaining over 80% of the power is nice these 2.1-2.3L 4 pots that are cropping up in place of a V6 in many newer models are a poor substitute for a V6 even if they are decent by 4 pot standards.

Associate
Have to agree with Simon above, here is my current baby which I have had for 10 years and now are selling to get what appears to be the last V6 Mercedes they will make and hope to keep this for another 10 years.

KNoKlwJ.jpg
zjuza6Q.jpg

replacing it with this :) C43
-mercedes-benz--c-class-amg-coupe--c43-4matic-premium-plus-2dr-9g-tronic-454766802-3.jpg
The 135i coupe was a really rare to come by, I think yours is the first I've ever seen. Good choice on the colour for your new baby :D

OcUK Staff
Great video from Supercar Fest 2021, I seem to feature heavily as I just kept driving round in circles so manage to get 8 runs in on the day, best speed 155mph. :D

9:40 and 12:40 are a couple of good ones but I think there is around 5-6 of my runs in that video. :D

Back
Top Bottom