Stressful Stress Test

Associate
I did a prime95 stress test on my new PC and was a bit alarmed by how hot it got and how fast.

I have a Ryzen 5800x CPU and Arctic Liquid Freezer II cooler (both brand new), but managed to reach 91c within 10 minutes (at which point I aborted the test). Tried the test again about 20 minutes later and again, reached 91c within 8 minutes.

I wasn't expecting such high temps with the set up I have. Is there potentially a need for me to reapply thermal paste? I had a bit of difficulty applying the cooler and had to take it off and reaffix it several times (thanks to arctic not including an instruction manual with the cooler).

Any tips would be highly appreciated!

Associate
I did a prime95 stress test on my new PC and was a bit alarmed by how hot it got and how fast.

I have a Ryzen 5800x CPU and Arctic Liquid Freezer II cooler (both brand new), but managed to reach 91c within 10 minutes (at which point I aborted the test). Tried the test again about 20 minutes later and again, reached 91c within 8 minutes.

I wasn't expecting such high temps with the set up I have. Is there potentially a need for me to reapply thermal paste? I had a bit of difficulty applying the cooler and had to take it off and reaffix it several times (thanks to arctic not including an instruction manual with the cooler).

It's normal for ryzen 5000. My 5950 hit 80C on stress test. What CPU fan r u using

Associate

Can you share more about the case you are using and the fan setup. I used to get those temps on my media build with a stress test, so does not immediately get me worried that something is 'wrong'

Associate
The 5800X does run hot, hotter than any of the other Ryzen 5000 series. Running a stress test like Cinebench R23 multi-core, mine regularly gets up into the low 80s. The current hot weather won't be helping either.

Associate
OP
Can you share more about the case you are using and the fan setup. I used to get those temps on my media build with a stress test, so does not immediately get me worried that something is 'wrong'

Sure - I have a Fractal C Meshify with two stock intake fans at front and an Arctic Liquid Cooler II AIO with exhaust fans mounted at top of case.

Associate
OP
The 5800X does run hot, hotter than any of the other Ryzen 5000 series. Running a stress test like Cinebench R23 multi-core, mine regularly gets up into the low 80s. The current hot weather won't be helping either.

Yeah was thinking the weather might muck up results a bit.

The second or third time trying the test, I let it run at 91c for 2-3 minutes to see if it would decrease any - it didn't. How much worse is 90ish c than low 80s?

Associate
Can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the 5800X starts to thermal throttle at 90C. You don't really want it routinely running at 90+ in my opinion.

Other thing to bear in mind is you can use the PC for what you want to do i.e. gaming and see what the temps hit under a realistic load. Some of the synthetic benchmarks/stress tests are somewhat unrealistic in terms of real-life applications! E.g. if with Prime95 you're getting 91, but the highest you see while gaming flat-out is 80ish, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Associate
Sure - I have a Fractal C Meshify with two stock intake fans at front and an Arctic Liquid Cooler II AIO with exhaust fans mounted at top of case.
Just so I can help you out, what prime 95 setting you lock in or just the standard? Also do you auto over clock enabled? I can run the same on my side and see what it settles at. Looking at google reviews seems 90 is the going rate for prime ... i ran aida64 cpu stress test and it stayed at 69 degrees. going to do a prime st stco settings now.
The only real difference is that im on a tripple rad and ambient temp is pushing 28 degrees in my house

I did 10 mins on Prime and hit 88 degrees. Clock settled at 4.3 sometimes dropped to 4.2 so there is evident throttling. 141w total package.

So looking at that plus google reviews you seem to be within reason, make sure you monitor it in games for a more realistic workload on your CPU. I normally get up to 55 - 80 degrees when gaming with a very conservative fan curve (aka favouring lower noise than lower temps)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just so I can help you out, what prime 95 setting you lock in or just the standard? Also do you auto over clock enabled? I can run the same on my side and see what it settles at. Looking at google reviews seems 90 is the going rate for prime ... i ran aida64 cpu stress test and it stayed at 69 degrees. going to do a prime st stco settings now.
The only real difference is that im on a tripple rad and ambient temp is pushing 28 degrees in my house

I did 10 mins on Prime and hit 88 degrees. Clock settled at 4.3 sometimes dropped to 4.2 so there is evident throttling. 141w total package.

So looking at that plus google reviews you seem to be within reason, make sure you monitor it in games for a more realistic workload on your CPU. I normally get up to 55 - 80 degrees when gaming with a very conservative fan curve (aka favouring lower noise than lower temps)

Thanks for running a parallel test. Hmm yeah, I wasn't paying attention to the clock but I have vague recollection of clock speed dropping a little when it reached 90/91c.

I was just using the default settings and I haven't touched any settings overclocking-wise, so whatever the default is on that front.

Back
Top Bottom