Should I see a temperature drop...?

Associate
I have a new build with a 5900x and Dark Rock Pro 4 in a Lian Li Lancool II mesh.
If I gradually increase the load on the CPU I hear the fans ramp up (both fans on the Dark Rock and all case fans tied to CPU temp - I use 60C as the trigger temp in this case). However, with no change in the load the temperature does not decrease at all. Neither does it increase. I would have expected the temperature to drop a little as as the fans shifted more air. Is this a correct assumption? I started to wonder if I fitted the middle fan of the cooler the wrong way round so it is fighting the main fan air flow, but temps do not get excessive so not investigated further - yet.

If I decide to remove the cooler to check it out I want to replace it with the best thermal paste for the job so any recommendations there would be gratefully received, especially from people with the same components. However, I don't trust myself with liquid metal types.

Soldato
However, with no change in the load the temperature does not decrease at all. Neither does it increase. I would have expected the temperature to drop a little as as the fans shifted more air. Is this a correct assumption?
Errrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm yes... sort-of... There will be a base level temperature at which your CPU idles, no matter how much air you put through the cooling system. It's not really a 'cooling' system either, so much as a way of getting rid of excess heat, which is a better way to view things.
So long as your temps are within general spec, you should be fine.

Soldato
Sounds like you have case fans setup to supply air cooler fan/s need so as temps rise and fans (cooler & case) speed up they keep temp from going higher. Best way to find out is play with temp to rpm curves and see if setting fans to spin up fasters / spin up to higher speed at lower temp helps. For me, ideal is at maximum normal load fans remain inaudible / barely audible at temp 20-30c below throttle temp. On my 3600 this is fans at 750-800rpm with 65-70c temp. Think 3600 throttles at 90-95c. In normal use fans run 400-600rpm with CPU 35-45c.

Associate
OP
Thanks doyll, I have a temperature curve set up and have the fans going to max at 85c for the 5900.
I have CPUtemp running and I have never had it record a max of more than 82c if I remember correctly. But that is running stress test software.
Cooling isn't an issue but I have yet to get the cpu to do some proper work with, say a 4k game on ultra settings, but I can't do that till I finally get a 3080.
My original question was around not seeing a temperature drop when the fans kicked in and there was no additional load. But that was answered a couple of posts back.

Soldato
Indeed, fans speed up as temps rise. If setup correctly temps don't drop. That said if system goes for idle to 100% CPU load (stress test) the temps will them sometimes peak and drop down a few degrees in next couple of minutes. This is because CPU heat increase is from 30c to 80-90c full load in less than 1 second, and case airflow takes 10-20 seconds to ramp up to match cooling demands .. thus heat jumps faster than airflow and it takes airflow a little time to balance temps. From you post it seems your load is not instantaneous, but gradual .. meaning fans / airflow is ramping up same as temp is.
Hope that make sense.

Back
Top Bottom