• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

going to intel after 20+yrs need advice

Soldato
I ain't had intel in 20yrs plus but I'm wants a setup that has graphics on chip, so any issues down line can keep the pc running, don't want to spend huge amounts, maybe range would like over clocking option though see intel you can remove power limits on motherboards.
Don't mind buying used either tbh
Any advice?

Thx in advance

Soldato
what sort of AMD apu are decent for gaming? ive seen like some but have no experience of them tbh
The latest ones are quite good depend on your expectations. I think the 5700G will drop soon. 1080p60 probably medium to high settings.

i expect the vega graphics to perform stronger than the Intel offerings tho.

Man of Honour
The integrated graphics are so poor, even with the latest APUs, that I'm not sure it's worth buying one just to keep the PC running. From what I've seen of the APUs, you pay a premium big enough that even in the current market, you might as well just buy a rx 550 or GT 1030 (not ddr4), stick it in the cupboard and be done with it.

If you're buying Intel and you want it semi-reasonable (1080p/30, low/med) then you need the i5-11500 and up (the 11400 has a hobbled GPU and the i3s are still comet lake).

Soldato
OP
was looking at 10600k and a b560 mobo,that sort of range im looking at, im mining on my vega for some pocket money, i want the option to turn off and game, so need a cpu thats strong enough for say 1440p/1080p, atm the athlon is terrible, stutters all the time as only dual core. i prefer amd tbh, but didnt think there was an amd apu that was strong enough to game with along with my vega 64

Man of Honour
You'd get better performance in games with a 11500 than a 10600K, because the 11500 has a far superior IGP.

It won't be good enough for any modern game at 1440p, but some older games will be playable at 1080p.

Soldato
OP
i maybe getting confused here never really had a apu this was my first one, so pretty clueless on them, but isnt a apu a cpu with internal graphics, all i want is the cpu bit for gaming and not the graphics part as will use my vega 64, the intergrated graphics are just for display only. or have i got it wrong,lol

Man of Honour
Oh, you mean just for browsing, etc? Then it doesn't really matter, except avoid -F CPUs (Intel) and only buy -G for Ryzen.

Soldato
You got an Athlon G in your sig. that’s an CPU with GPU integrated.

That Athlon G is no good for any kind of gaming. But the modern GPU on CPU has come a long way that they are able to game at 1080p and probably beats most of the £100 GPUs such as gtx 1050…

If you are on a budget or concerned about redundancy definitely have a CPU with iGPU is the way forward.

Associate
your most cost effective upgrade is to ignore APUs entirely, update your bios and drop a Ryzen 5*** chip in.

If you really must have an APU then the 5***G will be available shortly and will likely drop into your board with a bios update.

The Ryzen 4***G are supported by your board now and available now on the grey market but these are based on 3*** cpus not 5*** so not as big a bump but still an upgrade for you (your 3000g is based on a 2*** cpu so still much slower than a real 3*** chip)

Intel doesn't have a desktop APU that can compete with AMD APU, Intels best APUs are kept on mobile, desktop rocket lake has UHD 750 which barely competes with the bigger version of the old APU you have already the 3400G

The 5700G series is faster than the 3400G but not by loads as AMD has not seen fit to up the iGPU specs but its a much stronger CPU to pair with a dedicated card when you have one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You got an Athlon G in your sig. that’s an CPU with GPU integrated.

That Athlon G is no good for any kind of gaming. But the modern GPU on CPU has come a long way that they are able to game at 1080p and probably beats most of the £100 GPUs such as gtx 1050…

If you are on a budget or concerned about redundancy definitely have a CPU with iGPU is the way forward.
im presuming as its dual core its struggling with my v64, was looking at prices for the 4000 series cpu with 6 cores, will 6 cores give my vega 64 an easier time as where as could play with the 1700 ryzen, i cant with the athlon, seems like its a bottleneck as the athlon dual core cant cope, the 6 core 4000 series seem price for extra 100 quid could pick up a 10600k and a z490/b560 mobo for only around 100 quid more. obviously the 10600k will have that fall back option of on chip graphics for my mining on the vega if not wanting to game

Soldato
Getting a 10600k and pair it with some cheap board isn’t a bad option. Just don’t rely on the Intel GPU to game tho.

4000 series APUs are like hen’s teeth. They didn’t make many of them and offered what available stock to OEM builders for prebuilds. They are competent CPU+GPUs especially the vega units are decent. The newer 5700G are meant to be dogs ******** but with the same GPU units as the 4000 APUs. So gaming wise you will see a bit of uplift but as the vega units are identical not much in it. But what you get with the 5700G or 5600G is a very fast gaming CPU so if you pair that with a graphics card you get a pretty good experience. Like 1080p a lot of cards will throw >60fps depend on title ofc and some are in 100s FPS so theoretically CPU bottleneck should be showing there.

Anyway, Intel iGPU is lower down the pecking order in terms gaming performances to the AMD 4000 and 5000 variety.

Associate
buy a cheap ryzen without GPU that has the cores you want cheaper, there is no benefit to switching to intel.

The 4000 are pricey because there are bugger all GPUs and you can actually use these for gaming whilst you wait to win the GPU lottery but you are not going to game on it so why buy one, just get a cheap chip, failing that a tablet or something, blimey depending on what phone you have you might just be able to buy a hdmi cable and use your phone as a PC, I do this eveyday.

You could add a usb displaylink gpu card to any machine also

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
buy a cheap ryzen without GPU that has the cores you want cheaper, there is no benefit to switching to intel.

The 4000 are pricey because there are bugger all GPUs and you can actually use these for gaming whilst you wait to win the GPU lottery but you are not going to game on it so why buy one, just get a cheap chip, failing that a tablet or something, blimey depending on what phone you have you might just be able to buy a hdmi cable and use your phone as a PC, I do this eveyday.

You could add a usb gpu card to any machine also
there in lies the issue, i need an igp for my mining, so i can just unplug the vega when mining and use onboard hdmi, and plug hdmi back into vega so can game:)

Associate
Yup, I have a 35w 4300GE it definitely does a lot with very little power, matches my tuned threadripper in single core performance despite being so low end, is 4c/8t so games OK too, not too expensive, 140-150.

Associate
If you are mining with CPUs then go for ryzen. Loads of cores, better performance to watt ratio…

no brainier.
I think mining with CPU is waste of electricity, not sure how much you can mine in a day with newer cpu but mine, 1700 earns like 20eu cents a day, i feel like my CPU is worth more then them 20cents a day.

Soldato
OP
I think mining with CPU is waste of electricity, not sure how much you can mine in a day with newer cpu but mine, 1700 earns like 20eu cents a day, i feel like my CPU is worth more then them 20cents a day.
im mining with my vega 64, its a pocket money thing, to help with my bills,was only around 80-90 quid a month minus 15 for electric.now only around 60 quid but bills need to be paid somehow, i only took it up as couldnt afford a new gpu for gaming due to the current climate

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom