• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
I'm actually thinking the first one to drop down close to MSRP might be AMD as there does seem to be quite a bit for sale, mainly down to the price there at but when they don't sell the only option is to drop the price.
But you'd need to consider the price the stock was purchased for. If the stock is held at a high cost then even if averaging is used, it will take proportionately longer for this to filter back to the consumer than a new influx of stock (where there was none before) at a lower price.

Associate
But you'd need to consider the price the stock was purchased for. If the stock is held at a high cost then even if averaging is used, it will take proportionately longer for this to filter back to the consumer than a new influx of stock (where there was none before) at a lower price.

It really depends though. For example OCUK may have bought a 6700XT for £700 and are offering it for sale for £780. If no-one is buying it then they may reduce the price to £700. But if still no-one is buying it, they have a decision to make. Either they can reduce the price to £650 now and sell it, or they can keep it at £700. But if it sits there for months with no-one buying it then maybe by that point in time the GPU market will have crashed and they might have to reduce it all the way down to £450 in order to actually sell it.

Point being, the cost price is not really a hard floor on the price they sell it on to us at, because they also need to consider future market movement. They might well be better selling the card at a £50 loss now than selling it at a £250 loss in 3 months' time.

Associate
I think I agree with the consensus - late 22, earliest. That'll fix the supply and demand (assuming all other things stay equal and the pandemic improves). But the baseline prices? It's competition.

AMD has demonstrated that they're more than happy to bump their pricing up to what their competitors charge as soon as they get competitive on performance, so really it depends on a 3rd party dragging prices down (Intel Xe?), or one of the two deciding that they need to lower prices to buy the market share.

So that depends on what relative strengths in performance the next round of graphics cards have. To me this gen is done, there's a status quo.

Associate
It's definitely a difficult decision to make, but in your example if averaging is used then the loss on the individual expensive item would be apportioned against the profit of the newer cheaper stock. If you had knowledge cheaper stock was incoming to reduce the effect of 'taking the hit' you would instinctively hold on as long as possible to reduce those items. This would in my opinion be totally led by competitor activities, whoever blinks first.

If it were my business I would not be reducing below cost until it was absolutely necessary and would hold on for as long as possible to absorb the loss over time.

However if a new stock item (say a 3060) was to arrive at a cheaper cost price, you could put those out at a slightly higher profit (but still cheaper than current) and sell them quicker to further offset potential losses of the expensive RX 6700 cards.

That's how I would handle the situation anyway!

Man of Honour
It's going to happen, but will likely be mediocre in my opinion. It will all come down to whether they price it competitively or not. The rumours are of 3070 performance, which I expect to end up at 3060 levels. If they price it at £299, and can produce high volumes, they could make some inroads. If they price it at £499+ then they may struggle because people won't want to take the risk on the immature drivers and mediocre performance.

Associate
then they may struggle because people won't want to take the risk on the immature drivers and mediocre performance.

I can't help but think that this is gonna be the Achilles heel for Intel - supporting GPUs - especially AAA gaming on GPUs is gonna be wildly new for them and both AMD and NVidia have shown that it's not simple, even for them. Hoping for the best (the competition will be good for PC gaming) but I'm expecting a ***********...

Associate
Yea that's true. Didn't think of the businesses getting the cards at a higher price so that's why there the price they are right now anyway here's to hoping they come down.

Associate
It's going to happen, but will likely be mediocre in my opinion. It will all come down to whether they price it competitively or not. The rumours are of 3070 performance, which I expect to end up at 3060 levels. If they price it at £299, and can produce high volumes, they could make some inroads. If they price it at £499+ then they may struggle because people won't want to take the risk on the immature drivers and mediocre performance.

You gotta hope that Intel is desperate enough to buy market share with low prices though, right? They are new to the market with the issues you guys outlined, the spec is middling and their wider CPU business is not doing so well. If so, then it's just a question of timing. Maybe if you're Intel (assuming you can actually make the things!), taking advantage of all that pent-up demand means you might take a bit of a hit?

Associate
Yea that's true. Didn't think of the businesses getting the cards at a higher price so that's why there the price they are right now anyway here's to hoping they come down.

There have been several posts from staff on this topic

Associate
Well, new fabs are being made as I type this.

So it's kind of hard to guess. But would say from this time next year and beyond.

So another year at least IMO.

Associate
are they? My understanding is that the likes of nvidia would be foolish to invest in loads of extra capacity now, as it's likely a temporary demand. Do you have a source @robin66 ?

Associate
are they? My understanding is that the likes of nvidia would be foolish to invest in loads of extra capacity now, as it's likely a temporary demand. Do you have a source @robin66 ?

The issue is that it's not just Nvidia chips that are in high demand from what I have seen. It's the chip market as a whole. I'm not totally sure on this, but where Nvidia have their chips made. Other companies will do so also.

Intel could help end the GPU shortage by making chips for Nvidia, but will it? | PC Gamer

Soldato
Yup, this is the new pricing now, just get used to it.
The problem is, if it doesnt change then pc gaming is probably dead as most people are priced out.
I'm still on a 1070Ti and if prices stay at this level i will never buy another gpu.
ive been a pc gamer for 25 years but at the moment its simply not worth it for a new player as the prices are stupid - a console makes far more sense

Back
Top Bottom