Aio life spans

Associate
as long as temps are ok I wouldnt bother imo, replaced my h100gtx after 6 and a bit years because my temps were just too high and couldnt overclock at all without 75c+ while gaming, replaced with a nzxt x63 and dropped 15c on average lol

Associate
OP
Ok, a bit of an update here, I know ot warmer weather, I been thinking. Of adding a front fan to my existing one. Yet want to know if, I have two front fans at 1000rpm max would I need to match it or have higher rpm for the exhaust. As I have aio that I put a 1300 fan on.
As Idle I'm getting 30-40c gaming it 50 in menus and 60-70c where it hit 70-77c for a few seconds then is at 68c like fluctuation.

Associate
I have a z63 and have cpu and gpu temps on display, I also have an air cooler ready to drop in temporarily once the z63 starts to fail until I buy another aio, that way there are no concerns.

Associate
I have a corsair h45 aio in my system since 2016 and it coming up to five year. Should I replace it with a new one?

As im getting ok temps like 20c and 62c when playing games. Yet im concerned that it coming to the end of it life span and could fail on me. Even if I cleaned my PC ever month.

Any advice?
Those temps seem fine, if you are concerned just buy a new cooler.

Associate
I would only replace if it no longer works or if it was not doing what I needed it to. Most decent AIO's come with a 5 year warranty like NZXT so not much to worry about.

Soldato
I've had two fail this month. A Corsair H105 purchased in 2015, and a Corsair H100i from 2013. Not total failure but unusable because temps were spiking to 100C on one or two cores (tested two CPUs and different cooler). The problem in both (I suspect) is that gunk develops over time, and if you move the AIO from one case to another several times as I had to do recently, the gunk can settle in a bad spot and then nothing will shift it other than taking it apart to clean the microfins and flush, which has its own risks. For example, if you get water in a part of the pump block it isn't supposed to be in, it can fry the electronics in there, or leak onto CPU later on because the seal is for the water that's supposed to be in there not for some pockets of the block not meant to have water. Since both coolers were going to be sold as part of used systems, I wasn't about to risk that and potentially have very angry buyers. So as far as I'm concerned they are useless, and I have no need for them myself either. If I get bored one day I'll take them apart.

So if you keep these coolers in the same orientation as they age, and use the system frequently, there is more chance they'll keep working for more years unless the pump itself happens to fail, or your unit suffers more permeation than others.

Soldato
My Corsair H80 failed this week, only noticed when the PC wouldn't post :(
Opened the case and the H80 had leaked all over the CPU and on the GFX card! appear to have leaked from the around the plate.

Soldato
My Corsair H80 failed this week, only noticed when the PC wouldn't post :(
Opened the case and the H80 had leaked all over the CPU and on the GFX card! appear to have leaked from the around the plate.

Under warranty? Enjoy your new free pc

Soldato
Nope, I've removed all the components and given everything a clean with isopropanol and the PC is now working.. back to air cooling for me :)

That's a shame, not even a free gpu

I look forward to the loop or aio killing my pc because then the warranty pays for a new PCs.

But maybe it's for the best your aio may have been out of warranty anyway given how old the h80 is - the h80 was released 10 years ago, water cooling requires more maintenance, you can't leave it running for too many years like a air cooler - it's not a lazy cooling method.

But that's what it is, if you want better cooling the extra maintenance is the cost, same goes for cars - we used to have air cooled cars then we switched to water cooling cars because water cooling is better but unlike the air cooled car that you can be lazy with for years and years, water cooling requires replacement of the coolant once in a while and occasionally replacement of pumps and tubes because they leak or fail over time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom