Phrases you can't stand...

Soldato
'Can I get', in the context of ordering food. Firstly it just sounds so rude, and secondly, unless it's self service, you can't get anything yourself.

What's wrong with 'Could I have [item] please?'.

******* scum.

Capodecina
Soldato
'Can I get', in the context of ordering food. Firstly it just sounds so rude, and secondly, unless it's self service, you can't get anything yourself.

It's American, it doesn't have to make sense.

Having said that, if I worked in a coffee shop it would annoy the absolutely **** out of me to the point where I'd want to steam the offending customer's face.

Man of Honour

What's wrong with 'Could I have [item] please?'.

******* scum.

Okay, so you don’t like to hear, “Can I get?”, that’s your prerogative, it’s your opinion and you have every right to express that opinion, but calling someone ******* scum for saying it, is a shade too far a push of the envelope in my opinion.
I doubt that you have the stones to say it to anyone who says “Can I get?” in a restaurant.

Soldato
Okay, so you don’t like to hear, “Can I get?”, that’s your prerogative, it’s your opinion and you have every right to express that opinion, but calling someone ******* scum for saying it, is a shade too far a push of the envelope in my opinion.
I doubt that you have the stones to say it to anyone who says “Can I get?” in a restaurant.
I think it's a London thing. I said can I get "insert haircut style" in my home town and the guy was aghast. I then realised how that isn't how we talk in the civilised world (anywhere outside of the m25).

Associate
Any sentence that starts with: "I'm not being funny/rude/racist/sexist etc..." because you know that that is exactly what the person speaking is being.

Also "I could care less" as that is normally the opposite of what is meant by the phrase.

Soldato

Calm it cabbie, I was using hyperbolic exaggeration for comedic effect.

Man of Honour
Calm it cabbie, I was using hyperbolic exaggeration for comedic effect.

Yeah right, keep on digging.
Comedic effect?, It wasn’t amusing, “hyperbolic exaggeration for comedic effect” is just another way of pleading, “I was only kidding, surely everyone could see that.”
Calm it cabbie was a nice touch though, I was cut to the quick.

Soldato
Yeah right, keep on digging.
Comedic effect?, It wasn’t amusing, “hyperbolic exaggeration for comedic effect” is just another way of pleading, “I was only kidding, surely everyone could see that.”
Calm it cabbie was a nice touch though, I was cut to the quick.

You carry on by yourself mate, I'm really not interested. :)

Back
Top Bottom