PC Games for a 5 yr old

Associate
OP
If only, I cant wait until he can handle these titles!

I got the Lego Star Wars games for my son when he was 5 and he still plays them at 8. Also try Lego Invincibles and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

When he gets a bit older and wants to try his first gun game, you can't go wrong with the Halo remastered. Only ever shoot at aliens.

Will give them a go!

Associate
Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I noobed up and didn’t watch my own thread so only got an alert when I was quoted!

definitely think I have enough now to get him going.

like many, he plays minecraft but watches ppl play it on ytk and he keeps asking me to download mods like mario smash world or something similar. Where/how do you do this? Even as a gamer my whole life I’ve never clicked or understood a game like minecraft. Just seems perpetual

Mods are what make Minecraft so great. I agree that it can be perpetual/repetitive, but only if you play it without mods.

I'd recommend downloading a good mod launcher like Feed The Beast (FTB) as it's quick and easy to set up (no messing around manually installing mods one by one) and comes with tons of fun mods to try.

Pack like these often come with more mods than you'll be able to learn for a while, so it might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but the nice thing is you can just pick which mods you want to explore and leave the other for later.

For example, there are mods that add in computer technologies, automated mining/farming/crafting etc. It's a really great platform for kids to learn some surprisingly practical skills related to computing.

There are also tons of great video series on YouTube which go into each mod in detail, so it might be fun for your little one to follow along with them maybe too

Soldato
Maybe some of the Amanita studio games. Especially Botanicula and Samarost 3.

Machinarium is a bit too hard. Creaks was good although again the puzzles will not be simple enough for a 5 year old I don't think.

Lumino City is another beautiful game and it comes with solutions.

Last edited:
Associate
Slime Rancher would be my top choice. Fun game with a great little (but easy to understand) story. Cute graphics, fun sounds. I spent entirely too much time playing that game :p

Plus there is a sequel to look forward to now :D

Associate
My lad was nuts about Thomas the Tank Engine when he was younger, still is in fact.

We got him Train Simulator 2020 (he's used older TS games too) and he downloads TtTE models for it from the inernet and spends hours using the line creator and putting various Thomas characters on his creations (never saves them). Depends on his attention span and love of trains though :)

I was surprised by how many youngsters had re-done classic episodes, and created their own stories , using the TS game and TT models and posted them on Youtube (see NWR1991 and ilovetrains323 for example) be warned though there are some NSFW ones also so be careful on the search!

Caporegime
why get a 5 year old into gaming.

there's way more fun things you can do with your kid that actually benefit them far more.

you can tell the kids at nurseries/kindergarten who are babysit by screens at home, they are behind in communication, language and motor skills

Associate
Are you limited to PC only?

The reason I ask is that our 4.5 year old loves the sackboy games on the PS4. She now instantly recognises Stephen Fry's voice whenever she hears it (he narrates it) as "the man with the nice voice".

Some of the finer controls are a bit much for her coordination just yet, but she is just as happy to watch.

Associate
Are you limited to PC only?

The reason I ask is that our 4.5 year old loves the sackboy games on the PS4. She now instantly recognises Stephen Fry's voice whenever she hears it (he narrates it) as "the man with the nice voice".

Some of the finer controls are a bit much for her coordination just yet, but she is just as happy to watch.
Seconding this, also astros playroom/astro bot rescue mission

Man of Honour
My son started I guess around age 4 on the Wii (Mario Kart). Interestingly because in that you used a wheel to turn, when I put him on Forza Horizon 2 a bit later, he couldn't steer as he would tilt the controller :D
He was a bit too young really, but by the age of 6 started to get a lot more competent.

He was about 5 when we started playing Lego games co-op on PC, Lego batman as he liked Batman by that point, then we moved through pretty much every Lego game over the next 2 years. I think they are good because they have little puzzles to solve yet are generally quite forgiving. The modern ones usually have some form of open world, in those we get quite creative in freeroam, playing hide-and-seek, races etc.
One thing I've really noticed is that now aged nearly 8 he has an affinity for sandbox type types, he's got surprisingly proficient at minecraft and just generally seems to enjoy free form games where you can mess about and try things compared to needing to follow a linear path. So for example even when playing Lego games I'll be itching to tackle a new mission or whatever whereas he will be happy spending 10mins in the character creator and then another 10mins 'testing out our characters' just goofing around in freeroam. This kind of makes sense in terms of enjoying the freedom, I guess because I was introduced to gaming in the 80s I've got a natural tendency to want to 'make progress' through a game rather than simply enjoying the game for what it is (likewise in FH4 I want to do races whereas he is happy just driving around, customising cars etc).

I would really recommend finding games you can play co-op, that way you can talk to him about what's going on, prompt him a bit where needed, share the experience etc.

Mini Ninjas mentioned above he quite enjoyed at age 6(?) but you do need to play it together, as there's a few complicated bits and being quite an old game it doesn't hold your hand as much as some do these days.

Back
Top Bottom