BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

nam

nam

Soldato
yes over the last few days I have seen more BT vans in the local area then all of last year. They seem to be constantly climbing these poles to do something which I don't understand.

Probably. I'm a long way away in a smallish town on a quiet estate, 5 or 6 per pole is normal around here. Lot more work for the engineers in London!

Caporegime
BT can access them remotely, but there's no way anybody else can (at least, that's the design, there might be firmware bugs we don't know about).

Soldato
Next month I'm coming to the end of my current TalkTalk contract and trying to figure out if I should stick with them or move to a new provider.

Current Package:
Fibre 150 - £28.00
Anytime Calls - £11.50

Total: £39.50

At the end of my contract my Fibre will revert to £40pm and my Anytime Calls to £14pm.

I have the option of moving onto a new, matching contract with TalkTalk for £29.95pm for my Fibre150 on a 24month contract.

Just want to see what my best options are as they are in the process of building out my council area with FTTP and don't want to be stuck when I could switch on a much faster service.

nam

nam

Soldato
Are you happy with the service of fibre 150 , have you looked at https://www.communityfibre.co.uk/ maybe some further discounts via quidco or hotdealsuk

Next month I'm coming to the end of my current TalkTalk contract and trying to figure out if I should stick with them or move to a new provider.

Current Package:
Fibre 150 - £28.00
Anytime Calls - £11.50

Total: £39.50

At the end of my contract my Fibre will revert to £40pm and my Anytime Calls to £14pm.

I have the option of moving onto a new, matching contract with TalkTalk for £29.95pm for my Fibre150 on a 24month contract.

Just want to see what my best options are as they are in the process of building out my council area with FTTP and don't want to be stuck when I could switch on a much faster service.

Soldato
If it’s BT FTTP then you’ll be able to move your talk talk service to FTTP in contract.

Ditch the any time calls? If your on a mobile contract, that will cover that. Not sure why so many people have landline call packages these days when almost everyone has a mobile which is cheaper to make calls on.

It’s almost like it’s a tax on old people who don’t know any better.

Soldato
If it’s BT FTTP then you’ll be able to move your talk talk service to FTTP in contract.

Ditch the any time calls? If your on a mobile contract, that will cover that. Not sure why so many people have landline call packages these days when almost everyone has a mobile which is cheaper to make calls on.

I don't think it's only old people, it's the less tech savvy. I come across lots of young people who are clueless. In fact as far as cyber crime is concerned it is the young that are falling for them. I suppose age does have its advantages ;)

Soldato

I didn't realise that you can move FTTP connections within contract. I still use my landline a lot and I need it for a community alarm system unfortunately.

Does anyone know of good deals on g.Fast fibre (FTTC) like i'm on this now or am I better just to re-contract with TalkTalk?

Soldato
I forgot you lose access to the copper line in talk talk FTTP so you don’t actually have a choice if you go with them.

I think BT pushes you to a voip service for calls?

You may need to get your alarm modified to work over the internet rather than the phone line.

Soldato
What are the best deals currently available for Fibre 150MB - 250MB g.Fast fibre (FTTC).

Or should I just re-contract with TalkTalk for 24 months as I don't know how long it'll take to get FTTP into my local area let alone my housing estate.

Soldato
The big ISPs that do G.fast are BT, Sky, TalkTalk so pick one. TalkTalk most likely to be the most competitive.

I decided to call TalkTalk as I couldn’t find any good deals. They couldn’t do a deal on the 250MB package, however I think I’ve got a good deal staying with them on the 150MB package.

12 Month Contract
150MB Service - £25pm
Unlimited Anytime Calls - £7pm
TOTAL: £32pm

Hopefully by June next year I’ll have access to full FTTP as the network will have been built out in my area. It’s a much better deal than the automatic email notification I was sent as well which was £29.95pm over 24 months.

Caporegime
If you use your landline enough to justify £7 for unlimited calls then it's a good deal, but you can have unlimited calls on pretty much every mobile plan now so it might be worth shifting your usage across.

Soldato
Yup, even if you are running a PAYG mobile it’s worth shifting it over. I’ve seen 30 day contracts with unlimited calls, texts and a small amount of data for £6/month.

I’d get used to it now because as soon as you get FTTP, any ‘land line’ connectivity is at an extra cost.

Back
Top Bottom